• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Who will be the dark horse for the rwc

argentina aren't the force they were back in 2007 plus they only reason they qualified for the knock outs in 07 was because ireland were utter shite and proved no challenge.

my guess is usa not to qualify but to shock aus/irl wiith tight games.

I would have bet on them coming out all guns blazing in their first game at the last world cup too but Argentina gave us all a shock

it wasn't a shock to me ... I picked it in the SuperBru picking comp, and was 3rd globally for a while

... It wouldn't be a big surprise if they made the Quarterfinals as the Scots are around the same ranking and will probably be in a race with them for the second qualifier from their pool.

... I would like Canada to be the dark horse of the tournament, but they have two sides of similar rankings, plus New Zealand and France in their pool, so progress out of the pool stages isn't likely.

... Maybe Georgia to win one of their matches against one of the big three in their pool?

it wasn't a shock to me ... I picked it in the SuperBru picking comp, and was 3rd globally for a while

... It wouldn't be a big surprise if they made the Quarterfinals as the Scots are around the same ranking and will probably be in a race with them for the second qualifier from their pool.

... I would like Canada to be the dark horse of the tournament, but they have two sides of similar rankings, plus New Zealand and France in their pool, so progress out of the pool stages isn't likely.

... Maybe Georgia to win one of their matches against one of the big three in their pool?

Yeah they are a quality team thats not the shock, its just that it was France they bet in their opening game of their own world cup. You have to think the hosts would give it everything early on. Argentina are a certainty for the quarters this year

Australia will win the World Cup, stop getting New Zealands hopes up, I hear New Zealand TV isn't showing the 2011 world cup but instead showing repeats of 1987.

I think there should be a rule forbidding posters to mention their own country as the dark horses/winning candidates. It's just old.

That being said, I'm going to start talking about France. I think Japan are very well trained tactically and have a strong scrum (at least that was true in 2007, haven't seen them play since), so given the lack of creativity in France's midfield, I actually think that Japan-France will be a close game (by that I mean France taking it by ~10 points). That's probably going to be the wake-up call so Canada should not be a problem (although we are very, very good in underestimating rivals). So after getting our ass kicked by the AB, the Tonga game will depend on the chances each team has of qualifying. Anyway, I'm digressing a bit too much. The point I wanted to make is that Japan would be the dark horses if they were in a different group (i.e. not with NZ) (I don't want to think they can eliminate France).
And I think that the second place in group D may cause an upset (if it is not Wales).
Finally, the Argentina team is too old: the front row will average 37 years old (unless Ayerza can play 3, I'm not sure) and Contepomi will be probably playing 10. Albacete and Fernandez Lobbe are sure starters too and well past 30. I don't think they will top their pool and I don't see them going beyond the QF.

Edit: Also, Ireland and ITaly will be playing the last game of pool C, I could see an upset there.

Last edited:
I can see the combination of Samao and Fiji make for a difficult progression for SA and Wales as the favorites in Pool D so I'd say them. Wouldn't be surprised if either or both (of the favorites) dropped a game and 1 possibly fell out of the race so our (Bokke) game against Wales 1st off is critical. That said, I don't think either Samoa or Fiji might be dark horses to go further than the QF's.

There I'd have to pick Ireland. I think NZ, Aus, SA, Eng and France are all given some chance of making a final by most pundits but if Ireland manages to top their pool through beating Aus, I can see them go far. They are in much the same boat as SA in that their top players are aging and the team hasn't been on form the last year or two but still a class outfit able of topping anyone on the day and a RWC is just the environment for an aging but class outfit to show they've got 1 more campaign in them.

I don't see Argentina making it passed England and Scotland nevermind further so maybe they are the real dark horses. Again. At least in my eyes.

Japan. I predict a nz-japan semi final and a france- Australia semi final

whaaat? Im not sure about the pools and who might play who in the 1/4 finals, but i am pretty sure japan will not be in the semi's...rather s.a. :p

my dark horse has gotta be wales who have the ability to beat supposedly better sides and i can easily see them beating SA by a small score

I'm going with Fiji. I think that they could realistically progress as far as the semis.

I think the AllBlacks are dark horses I can really see them doing very well possibly even winning. Of course they'd have to hope Mr.Fairhurst isn't at his best for Canada.

Latest posts