• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Who will be World Player of the Year?

Any NH posters care to other a selection from the home nations, I haven't watched enough to pick someone.
Realistically there are none.
Joseph was having a good season until teams started sending two or more defenders at him whenever he got the ball and shut him out of the game.
Celts will say POC/SOB/POM/Warburton but none of those have had the impact that the SH players have had.

Foley is a good suggestion, though. Really looking like the 10 that Australia have been crying out for recently.

My shortlist would be:

David Pocock
Alun Wyn Jones
Aaron Smith
Juan Imhoff
Ma'a Nonu
Ayumu Goromaru

While it will be mostly based on the world cup this time around, you have to consider games outside the tournament. Pocock has been consistent the whole year and then brilliant in the world cup, as has Alun Wyn Jones. Aaron Smith has been a huge part of the All Blacks throughout while Nonu has been a machine. Lets not forget Imhoff's efforts this year. A double in a world cup quarter final, 5 tries in the world cup overall and a hat-trick against the Springboks pre world cup - he is actually the first player ever to achieve that believe it or not. He's had a stellar year and definitely is worthy of a nomination. And I also feel Japan deserves a representation after their superb world cup and Goromaru was immense in all games. They won't nominate him but it would be deserved.

Last edited:
Joseph was having a good season until teams started sending two or more defenders at him whenever he got the ball and shut him out of the game.
Celts will say POC/SOB/POM/Warburton but none of those have had the impact that the SH players have had.

Foley is a good suggestion, though. Really looking like the 10 that Australia have been crying out for recently.

Joseph was having a good season till he got paired with Brad Barritt then he had both opposition centres on him because Barritt was basically a passenger ........

Is that what you meant ?

By the way what about Watson ? I think he's been fantastic

Joseph was having a good season till he got paired with Brad Barritt then he had both opposition centres on him because Barritt was basically a passenger ........

Is that what you meant ?

By the way what about Watson ? I think he's been fantastic
Ha, suppose so, but I do think defences started targeting him when they realised the threat he posed.

Don't think Watson would really be considered - he's had a good season, especially for a rookie, but compared to Milner-Skudder? even Savea, who's had a quiet year?
Good for England, good for NH, but one of the best in the world? I don't think so. But then again Farrell got a nomination recently, and Watson is more deserving that that!

No DC? I'd be suprised if he doesnt at least get a nomination.

Nah can't see it, he has had 2-3 great games but the rest were not up to standard for the player of the year award.

May get a nomination for an AB's award and most probably some life long award etc for his outstanding service though, which would be fitting of his contribution for the year if we win the cup.

I look at the one major blight on Steve Hansen's selections that Ben Smith hasnt won player of the year yet. He should of been a dead cert selection like 4 years ago FFS. And should of won player of the year atleast once or twice already!!!

Smith is still pretty hard to go past for me he's been rock solid again this year won a super rugby ***le, bledisloe and likely a WC aswell.

But id be pretty sure Pocock will win this one he has been pretty consistent all year.

Last edited:

Honest to God, Laidlaw and (not even trolling) Gareth Davies.

Davies has been find of the year for any NH team IMO. Not been around quite long enough to be a household name, but his attacking game so far has been class.

Jeez suggesting DC is just bizarre to me. He's been ****house up until this WC.

- - - Updated - - -

I cant say I agree with you Oly that Pocock is the best player in the world right now. He's good at like one or two things at most. Incredibly one dimensional player. I agree that its likely he'll get the award but I dont think he's the best outright player going about for me thats easily Ben Smith.

I cant say I agree with you Oly that Pocock is the best player in the world right now. He's good at like one or two things at most. Incredibly one dimensional player. I agree that its likely he'll get the award but I dont think he's the best outright player going about for me thats easily Ben Smith.

I can defintely see where you're coming from, but if you consider Pocock's role as a 7 (even if half the time he's got 8 on his back) then his one dimension is exactly what you want from a 7. It's like saying "Sure, Savea scored a load of tries but where was he in the lineout?". Pococks breakdown, link, and support play was second to none, and in his position that;s what you want/expect. If you're looking for a guy who's most versatile then surely Vito is the clear winner as he played a bit of wing a few weeks ago :p
I'm a huge fan of Ben Smith, but I think that he had a bigger season last year compared to this.

I look at the one major blight on Steve Hansen's selections that Ben Smith hasnt won player of the year yet. He should of been a dead cert selection like 4 years ago FFS. And should of won player of the year atleast once or twice already!!!

Smith is still pretty hard to go past for me he's been rock solid again this year won a super rugby ***le, bledisloe and likely a WC aswell.

But id be pretty sure Pocock will win this one he has been pretty consistent all year.

Again, someone else mentioned Super Rugby. Correct me if I am wrong but my understanding is this award is based on international rugby only. SR has zero to do with it.

- - - Updated - - -

Nah can't see it, he has had 2-3 great games but the rest were not up to standard for the player of the year award.

May get a nomination for an AB's award and most probably some life long award etc for his outstanding service though, which would be fitting of his contribution for the year if we win the cup.
Yeah perhaps that's the case, but I reckon he will be very hard to look past IF we win the RWC. RWC finals can't be won unless the 10 at least has a "good" game. But more likely if we win it will in part be because DC has had another very good game. If thats the case given that the award is based only on international matches of which NZ has only had 5 outside of the RWC, I reckon he is a very good chance to at least get a nomination and perhaps even the ***le.

To be honest though from the ABs to date I would argue that any one of B Smith, R McCaw, S Whitelock, DC, and Nonu could all get nominations. Even NMS as a bolter wouldnt be too far off the mark. Even Coles has had a pretty outstanding year. Core jobs done really well, a massive work rate and 2 stunning tries! If we win the RWC I wouldnt be at all suprised to see a short list with the majority being from NZ.

Last edited:
I can defintely see where you're coming from, but if you consider Pocock's role as a 7 (even if half the time he's got 8 on his back) then his one dimension is exactly what you want from a 7. It's like saying "Sure, Savea scored a load of tries but where was he in the lineout?". Pococks breakdown, link, and support play was second to none, and in his position that;s what you want/expect. If you're looking for a guy who's most versatile then surely Vito is the clear winner as he played a bit of wing a few weeks ago :p
I'm a huge fan of Ben Smith, but I think that he had a bigger season last year compared to this.

I dont rate Savea in any form I think he's a poor version of Lomu and I think Lomu was **** aswell. Savea IS one dimensional. NZ rugby does not need to play one dimensional players and I think when we do it costs us in big matches Savea is a good example of this he's all but useless against any organised committed defence. And I still think Pocock is a one trick pony once you nullify his pilfering ability (which the AB's will on the weekend imo) theres just not much point in having him on the field.

I reckon we'll see that bore out on the weekend either Pocock will come off the bench (or start at 7) because Cheika wont have the balls to start dual opensides against us again because he'll know he was lucky last time in Sydney. Or he'll simply get owned by a smarter AB's loose forward trio if they select as they have been.

Last edited:
My World Player shortlist would be:

Nehe Milner-Scudder
David Pocock
Ben Smith
Ian Henderson
Waisake Naholo

Can't see how Milner-Scudder can be there, yes a good wing, but hardley the rugby player of the year, but had a very hard time under the high ball from the Bok on the weekend, Also Naholo no way.

Can't see how Milner-Scudder can be there, yes a good wing, but hardley the rugby player of the year, but had a very hard time under the high ball from the Bok on the weekend, Also Naholo no way.

I think people are getting confused and are taking into account the Super Rugby seasons of a few of these guys!

Wiki seems to suggest Interntaional rugby only:
World Rugby Player of the Year is an accolade awarded annually by World Rugby. It is awarded to the player who is adjudged to have been the best performer in rugby union internationals in the preceding season, from January to the final test match of the year.[1] In a year when the Rugby World Cup tournament is staged, performances in that event are also taken into account.

I dont rate Savea in any form I think he's a poor version of Lomu and I think Lomu was **** aswell. Savea IS one dimensional. NZ rugby does not need to play one dimensional players and I think when we do it costs us in big matches Savea is a good example of this he's all but useless against any organised committed defence. And I still think Pocock is a one trick pony once you nullify his pilfering ability (which the AB's will on the weekend imo) theres just not much point in having him on the field.

I reckon we'll see that bore out on the weekend either Pocock will come off the bench (or start at 7) because Cheika wont have the balls to start dual opensides against us again because he'll know he was lucky last time in Sydney. Or he'll simply get owned by a smarter AB's loose forward trio if they select as they have been.
Why didn't you apply for the job when Ewen Mckenzie resigned?

Deans put Wallaby rugby back four years.
Cheika has had his work cut out creating miracles and bringing back great players from the International abyss.
Cheika has gotta be coach of the year for taking the Wallabies from zero to heroes.
Oz fought their home turf hard and gained close victories over the Boks in Perth and then the AB's in Sydney, they won the shortened RC and they are in the RWC Final.
Very impressive coaching style from Cheika.
Deans may have been a Kiwi mole...

Hansen can only challenge Cheika if he gets two cups back to back.

On Cheikas choice of two opensides?
I reckon he'll go for it, fortune favours the bold and Kaino needs to stand up and try to rub out Hooper while Read needs to do the same to Pocock, no easy feat by any stretch but cometh the hour cometh the big game players and Read and Kaino need to stand tall because Richie will for sure.

Last edited:

Lol so you don't rate Savea, Lomu or Pocock ???? You're an idiot mate .....

I want NZ to win because I'd love Ritchie to go out in the best way possible but people like you make it really hard to like the ABs

You never bring anything to an argument except constant berating of Australians, Englishmen or Referees

Latest posts