• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Who will be World Player of the Year?

PacDuran

Academy Player
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Leinster
It's a bit of a silly award in a 15 a side sport but for me it's between Pocock, McCaw, Ben Smith and Dan Carter in my book. Who is your favourite for the award this year?

Hard to say, not everyone has been consistently good.
An on form Carter is the best player in the world, no question, but he's had a few poor (for him) games.
Mccaw has played well but you can tell he's in the twilight of his career - where he stands out is his leadership, but does that count? It's best player, not best leader.
For me Pocock is the best player in the world right now, but the last 12 months? How many of those months has he played?

I think Tuculet should be in the mix, been superb for the Pumas in every game - same with Creevy.

Like I said, very tough to think who has been consistently the best over the last 12 months.

Hard to look past Pocock, I feel like he'll walk it. Creevy is also in with a shout, the entire AB team has played well but no one player stands out for me.

Whilst it shouldn't next weekend will matter a lot into this contest MOM that day could well win player of the year. Just the mentality to how these things get decided.

Depending on this upcoming final it will be

A - NZ win - Ben Smiths gets it

B - Australia win - Pocock gets it.

Come on people, Ben is simply awesome. Won the SR with the Highlanders and now he's about to win a RWC. Pocock gets nod, but Ben is hands down the best in the world.

Pocock for me. He's the most influential player out there. Without him, Australia wouldn't even go past the pool stages.

Come on people, Ben is simply awesome. Won the SR with the Highlanders and now he's about to win a RWC. Pocock gets nod, but Ben is hands down the best in the world.

Silver-Fern tinted glasses. You might want to try taking them off when viewing and speaking about rugby. Pocock is the front runner. He grabbed 4 or 5 turnovers today I think, 3 at least. At crucial times too. He is a phenomenon. A better ball thief than McCaw George Smith or Brussow. An unreal player.

If Smith was making as many clean breaks as Pocock is making turn overs he would be more at the forfront of the discussion. Ben Smith needs an unbelievably great game to get the award.

SR form has nothing to do with this award though does it? My understanding was that it was based on international rugby only (and that the RWC is included).

With that being the case then I would have think the winner comes from either DC or Pocock and that the RWC winner may well decide the outcome.

Ben Smith has been fantastic this year and I would think he gets a nomination, but I think generally people are increasingly crediting DC with having the biggest impact on the ABs results. We now have OZ at Eden park, and Tonga, France, and SA at the RWC all games where DC has shone vs Pocock shining in several OZ wins this season (NZ, Eng, Arg spring to mind).

I get that team results dont technically come into it, but the reality is they do! Winner of the RWC decides player of the year IMO. DC vs Pocock = NZ vs OZ!!

I'd also suggest that McCaw will get a nomination if NZ wins the RWC as well. Dont think he should get the award though unless he plays out of his skin in the final!!

Last edited:
My World Player shortlist would be:

Nehe Milner-Scudder
David Pocock
Ben Smith
Ian Henderson
Waisake Naholo

Don't think Naholo has impressed enough on the international stage but Milner-Skudder is a great shout.

Pocock to be honest. There's no one at this point more deserving. I'd give it to hime even if Australia didn't win

Hard to look past Pocock, I feel like he'll walk it. Creevy is also in with a shout, the entire AB team has played well but no one player stands out for me.
Hasn't been a front rower nominated since 2003!

Agreed, Pocock coming back into the team has been more influential to the Australian upturn in form than Cheika has.

Pocock has been outstanding and impact on the team has been obvious every game he plays.

From NZ it would be either McCaw, Nonu or Ben Smith that would get a nomination, 3 players whose impact has been felt in pretty much every game they have played, if I had to narrow it down it would be McCaw or Smith.

I felt Foley has had a pretty good year also to be honest, in terms of impact he has made the best of the first 5's, well the ones I have watched consistently.

Any NH posters care to other a selection from the home nations, I haven't watched enough to pick someone.

My World Player shortlist would be:

Nehe Milner-Scudder
David Pocock
Ben Smith
Ian Henderson
Waisake Naholo

How does Naholo get on there. He's played three games and gone off injured in all three right?

- - - Updated - - -

Pocock has been outstanding and impact on the team has been obvious every game he plays.

From NZ it would be either McCaw, Nonu or Ben Smith that would get a nomination, 3 players whose impact has been felt in pretty much every game they have played, if I had to narrow it down it would be McCaw or Smith.

I felt Foley has had a pretty good year also to be honest, in terms of impact he has made the best of the first 5's, well the ones I have watched consistently.

Any NH posters care to other a selection from the home nations, I haven't watched enough to pick someone.

No DC? I'd be suprised if he doesnt at least get a nomination.

Latest posts