• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Who will be World Player of the Year?

Easily Pocock, i genuinely can't see how it could be anyone else.
Carter was outstanding today, but this is for the whole year not just one game.

I wouldn't read too much into it if DC wins over Pocock, DC might deserve it more but winning he world cup will count way more than it should. Just saying I'll be very surprised if he doesn't an now regardless of the merits of both arguments.

Easily Pocock, i genuinely can't see how it could be anyone else.
Carter was outstanding today, but this is for the whole year not just one game.

Do you ever choke on your own vomit?

;)

Wait, no. He's got a point. Pocock has been sublime all year.

I look at guys like Ben Smith, McCaw, Nonu, Conrad Smith, Whitelock, Dane Coles... who to be fair have just be as good, if not better than Savea and Carter, then a guy like Pocock who has been pretty top notch, but also he has a TEAM that has helped him and Fardy and Hooper have been a huge helping hand in establishing his game and authority in matches..

But come on, the IRB player of the year has to go to the most dominant side in the world.

IMO 4 kiwis deserve nominations.

Nonu
DC
Sam whitelock
Ben Smith

surprised more people are not mentioning Sam Whitelock, he has been HUGE.

probably the only non NZ player with a shot would be Pocock who was pretty much nullified in the final.

DC was amazing today and probably cemented his place as the greatest first five of all time. Would still give the award to Pocock though. He's been excellent all year.

IMO 4 kiwis deserve nominations.

Nonu
DC
Sam whitelock
Ben Smith

surprised more people are not mentioning Sam Whitelock, he has been HUGE.

probably the only non NZ player with a shot would be Pocock who was pretty much nullified in the final.

I've campaigned for Sam the last few weeks and got flamed.

DC was amazing today and probably cemented his place as the greatest first five of all time. Would still give the award to Pocock though. He's been excellent all year.

Lol "cemented". My brother, he was the greatest first-five when he was beating on the Lions, however many years ago.

I look at guys like Ben Smith, McCaw, Nonu, Conrad Smith, Whitelock, Dane Coles... who to be fair have just be as good, if not better than Savea and Carter, then a guy like Pocock who has been pretty top notch, but also he has a TEAM that has helped him and Fardy and Hooper have been a huge helping hand in establishing his game and authority in matches..

But come on, the IRB player of the year has to go to the most dominant side in the world.

See... now I agree. I dunno, Pocock is are awesome player though!

Yeah he is, and nothing but respect to the guy. But how can such a dominant team not have the best player in the world..

Because it's not IRB Team of the Year?

Anyway I kind of agree with you that he's had a brilliant back row to work with. Can't say it mitigates more than having a brilliant NZ side to feed off, but after that final I think either DC or McCaw would be deserving, as well as Pocock.

Because it's not IRB Team of the Year?

Anyway I kind of agree with you that he's had a brilliant back row to work with. Can't say it mitigates more than having a brilliant NZ side to feed off, but after that final I think either DC or McCaw would be deserving, as well as Pocock.

Ben Smith/Nonu deserve the most out of anyone in the world right now. Sure Ben made a clumsy tackle, but looking beyond that one brain fart, what he's delivered this year is a master class in all aspects of the game and well Nonu... what can I say, he's incredible, if I truly dug deep and had to really pick someone, it has to be Nonu.

I've campaigned for Sam the last few weeks and got flamed.

Sam has been great, but nowhere near Smith, Nonu, McCaw or Pocock in terms of impact

Yeah he is, and nothing but respect to the guy. But how can such a dominant team not have the best player in the world..

Easily, happens in quite a few sports.

Ben Smith/Nonu deserve the most out of anyone in the world right now. Sure Ben made a clumsy tackle, but looking beyond that one brain fart, what he's delivered this year is a master class in all aspects of the game and well Nonu... what can I say, he's incredible, if I truly dug deep and had to really pick someone, it has to be Nonu.

Yeah, so hard to make a decision, for me I could go Nonu, he has been a stellar player all year and can remember adding value in all games, McCaw deserves a nomination and would be a sentimental favorite.

To be honest I wouldn't complain if anyone of Pocock, Nonu, Smith or McCaw got it.

If Poey does get it, I will curse a little and begrudge the IRB some more, this is the greatest team in history we have just witnessed and giving the award to some bloke who puts in some hard yards in another team seems like a little bit of overratedness to me, this All Black team is stellar and there are many players deserving of the award, but because they work so well as a team it's so hard to hand pick one of them, so in that case the award ends up going to a bloke who pulls a decent team by the scruff of their neck through a Rugby year, with the help of two very good loose forwards, Fards and Hooper..

Not buying the Poey campaign, give it to one of our blokes who have played against every critic in the world and completed an incredible dynasty and era of rugby. It's only fitting, no consolations please.

There's a number of players who were excellent in the WC. I thought Milner-Shudder had an excellent WC and Carter did show some flashes of brilliance, particularly in the final.

My votes with Pocock. The man has been outstanding throughout the whole tournament, in what has been an excellent back row.

To be honest, I think the stand out in the English game was Foley as well. Poey also missed the Scotland game. DC deserves it more. Tonight Poey was dealt with and DC barely missed a beat.. Poey doesn't deserve, sorry anti-AB lads.

Sam has been great, but nowhere near Smith, Nonu, McCaw or Pocock in terms of impact

not true IMO, some of Sam's lineout steals have been absolutely HUGE in the overall outcome of games and his workload over 80min has been hard to top. Just comes down to the work of locks not being appreciated as much as the work other players do.

His stats for this WC are absolutely insane.

Latest posts