• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Who will be World Player of the Year?

Just because people don't want DC doesn't mean that they're anti-NZ. That kind of paranoia is very childish.

That there were people (NZ fans) questioning whether Carter should be the ABs first choice 10 for the RWC shows that he's not been the best player all year.
If I were picking an AB it'd be Nonu (and to be honest i wouldn't be sad to see him get it). Also think Ben Smith (as mentioned above) has been more consistent.
Carter absolutely deserves a lifetime achievement award, probably the best rugby union player ever, but I don't think he has been the best this year.

not true IMO, some of Sam's lineout steals have been absolutely HUGE in the overall outcome of games and his workload over 80min has been hard to top. Just comes down to the work of locks not being appreciated as much as the work other players do.

His stats for this WC are absolutely insane.

True I guess. But then Alun Wyn Jones managed to get on the official player of the year shortlist, so perhaps they are noticed for certain attributes. Such as leadership and flair?

Just like blindsides seemed to be noticed for tackle count and carries?

Pocock is a popular vote, but this year was always going to be about these last three weeks and no other player has been as influential as Dan Carter. Not even close....

Just because people don't want DC doesn't mean that they're anti-NZ. That kind of paranoia is very childish.

That there were people (NZ fans) questioning whether Carter should be the ABs first choice 10 for the RWC shows that he's not been the best player all year.
If I were picking an AB it'd be Nonu (and to be honest i wouldn't be sad to see him get it). Also think Ben Smith (as mentioned above) has been more consistent.
Carter absolutely deserves a lifetime achievement award, probably the best rugby union player ever, but I don't think he has been the best this year.

I agree with this post Olyy (I think it's the first time we have agreed) - But even so, I think Dan has been far more instrumental in the AB's winning this tournament than the impact Pocock has had. As I said, Foley won the English game and he (Pocock) also missed the big Scottish game. Dan has put in a RWC winning performance and has been better than Pocock this tournament and still deserves it ahead of him.

I think that's a fair point and argument. Can you guys please take off your romantic caps and consolation hats and really see how much Dan has done this tournament. Especially in the SA and Aussie game.

Easily Pocock, i genuinely can't see how it could be anyone else.
Carter was outstanding today, but this is for the whole year not just one game.

Isnt the mark of a great player when they step up and take control in the big games?
Game 1: Beldisloe Cup (2nd only to the RWC for the ABs) - steps up and has a very very good game - NZ WIN
Game 2: RWC QF - steps up and puts on an attacking clinic - NZ WIN
Game 3: RWC SM - clinically leads the ABs around the park in a very tight game crucially slotting match winning dropgoal - NZ WIN
Game 4: RWC Final - up there with one of the greatest all round performances I have seen from a 10 in big games - defensively outstanding, near perfection with goal kicking, again dominating around the park, Man of the Match - NZ WIN :D

Perhaps you didnt see those other games?

I get that Pocock has had a great season, but for me the way DC has stepped up in each and every one of the key games NZ has played this year and the fact that he was the best player on the park in a RWC world cup winning side is what differentiates the two this year!

Lock it in!! DC wins player of the year!!

Isnt the mark of a great player when they step up and take control in the big games?
Game 1: Beldisloe Cup (2nd only to the RWC for the ABs) - steps up and has a very very good game - NZ WIN
Game 2: RWC QF - steps up and puts on an attacking clinic - NZ WIN
Game 3: RWC SM - clinically leads the ABs around the park in a very tight game crucially slotting match winning dropgoal - NZ WIN
Game 4: RWC Final - up there with one of the greatest all round performances I have seen from a 10 in big games - defensively outstanding, near perfection with goal kicking, again dominating around the park, Man of the Match - NZ WIN :D

Perhaps you didnt see those other games?

I get that Pocock has had a great season, but for me the way DC has stepped up in each and every one of the key games NZ has played this year and the fact that he was the best player on the park in a RWC world cup winning side is what differentiates the two this year!

Lock it in!! DC wins player of the year!!

Point and case. DC has well and truly stepped up when it has mattered the most, pressure didn't exist to him, he's a genius. Not a bad looking genius at that.

Wait, no. He's got a point. Pocock has been sublime all year.

Yes but DC has been better than the sublime in the games that counted! You cant discount that. RWCs are tough to win - we know that more than anyone. He led us to that victory today!! On the day that everyone wanted to dominate DC did and Pocock was average to good at best.

- - - Updated - - -

Haha, NO WAY. All that shows is that some people dont know what they were talking about!! The DC critics had to suck it up and say they got that wrong a long time ago!!

I can definitely see the arguments for Carter, he's been a favourite of mine for as long as I remember.
Pocock is the most important player in the Wallabies side for my money. He's their best player and the whole side plays noticeably better with him in it.

I can definitely see the arguments for Carter, he's been a favourite of mine for as long as I remember.
Pocock is the most important player in the Wallabies side for my money. He's their best player and the whole side plays noticeably better with him in it.

Why does nobody else see that he is a one sided player?! He is invisible when the wallabies are on attack. He got about 3 turnovers and made a swag of tackles. Literally did nothing else. McCaw was miles better in this game than him.

I agree with that. I guess the point I am perhaps not making very well is that outside of the games I highlighted much of the season for the All Blacks was about preperation for winning the RWC final. There were some games in pool play where players individual performances were seriously comprimised for the greater good of the team. And even the rugby Championship was more about building for the RWC than the RC itself. Furthermore, for certian (older) players and I think DC in paticular this year was about player management and timing their run to be at peak form come the knock outs. He played very much within himself for much of the early part of the season. You can always tell when DC is being protected because his running game is non-existent! With that in mind I dont put too much weight on his performances outside of the 4 games I highlighted.

The more I think about it the more I feel Nonu should get it, just has been his season.

That looks a bit like McCaw "elbowing" Louw. Nothing in it, I certainly wouldn't call it purposeful!

I was being a bit sarcastic about it if you couldnt tell. Its just another nothing in a game that went unnoticed thankfully. Id be pretty ****** if they brought that one up.

I was being a bit sarcastic about it if you couldnt tell. Its just another nothing in a game that went unnoticed thankfully. Id be pretty ****** if they brought that one up.

Nah I knew you were joking. The "purposeful" comment was about what's written in the herald.

New Zealand herald is garbage nowadays.

Latest posts