• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Who Will Lose Out To Sonny Bill Williams?

Te Puke Thunder

Academy Player
Country Flag
New Zealand
With all the sweet talking Graham Henry and co put forward to SBW and his manager, one could safely assume he's definately in line for a spot on the All Blacks end of year tour to Europe.

Of course they said he's not a shoe-in but I doubt they would have lured him home just to leave him playing at provincial and Super Rugby levels. Especially someone with his potential and the fact that next to Richie McCaw and Dan Carter he's the biggest ratings winner New Zealand rugby has had in it's ranks since Jonah Lomu.

The question that's bugging me is... Who will miss out on the All Blacks at the expense of SBW?:unsure:

There's no way they can take out Ma'a Nonu or Conrad Smith. For me, Richard Kahui's right up there with Smith in the center position and he can cover anywhere in the backline from 12 out.

Then there's other players that come into the mix like, Isaia Toeava, Benson Stanley, Luke McAlister and the new project Rene Ranger.

What about Robert Fruean? Now there's a player with alot of potential. He has proven himself at both provincial and Super Rugby levels with Wellington and his new found home Canterbury. In this years ITM Cup he has been in dominating form and is by far the best Center in this years competition. It's ironic that he and SBW could end up as mid-field partners for the Cantabs this year but once again that will be at the expense of Stephen Brett.

I hope SBW's is a success, not just for him personally but for New Zealand rugby as a whole but somebody has to miss out.

Who will it be?

Last edited:
McAlistair will be the one to miss out, the history between him and Henry make it an obvious choice.

That said, SBW is utter shite at Union and will be shown up big time for the one trick pony he really is just as soon as he attempts his cocky ********, one handed crashball game infront of more TV camera then he's ever experienced. Then he'll go running back to the NRL with his tail between his legs to a heroes welcome.

Yeah, it seems Mc Alister isn't even on the radar these days.

I haven't seen much of SBW in action with Toulon. I'll base my opinions on his ITM Cup form and his much anticipated Super Rugby debut season.

You certainly dis-like him Bullitt. Did he help Toulon beat the Saints?

There seems to be an opinion in New Zealand that SBW is a Union god already (one need only look at the Rugby 2012 forums for evidence of this). In truth however, he's done buggar all. He was alright for Toulon last season, not their best player by any means and wouldn't have been one of the best 5 centres in France. The idea that he'll dislodge either Smith or Nonu by the World Cup comes around would seem a bit farcical to anyone who's kept track of him in France. Personally I'd have Smith, Nonu, Kahui, Toeava and Ranger all ahead of him.

You certainly dis-like him Bullitt. Did he help Toulon beat the Saints?

Not at all. The only 2 times Saints and Toulon ever played was pre-SBW & Wilkinson days. And Saints utterly annihilated them 3-56 away & 52-11 at home anyway.

I just dislike over-hyped shitty players. The likes of SWB, O'Gara, Wilkinson etc. who the media make out to be the greatest things ever despite clear evidence to the contrary.

Not at all. The only 2 times Saints and Toulon ever played was pre-SBW & Wilkinson days. And Saints utterly annihilated them 3-56 away & 52-11 at home anyway.

I just dislike over-hyped shitty players. The likes of SWB, O'Gara, Wilkinson etc. who the media make out to be the greatest things ever despite clear evidence to the contrary.

That evidence being Jonny Sexton obviously.;)

He is with Auckland for Super Rugby but in the ITM Cup most, but not all players go back to their home unions.
Ah ok. Playing for Auckland in Super Rugby but Canterbury in the NPC is a bit weird though right?

Sonny will definately have to prove himself to a certain extent but in saying that I think Henry and co. know that Sonny will do well in the ITM cup and in the ABs jersey. The way I see it is that Henry & co. they know Sonny is big and fast with amazing attacking skills and hits well in defence they figure if they surround him with world class players such as Carter and whoever else is in the centre's its a lethal attacking and defensive mid-field unit and I think its brilliant.

Who will lose out??...Im not sure I liked McAllistair before he left for England but ever since hes been back hes been quite.

Last edited:
I wouldn't have thought so. Hawke's Bay, for example, have players at the Cheifs, Hurricanes, Crusaders and Blues. I suppose the fact that Auckland and Canterbury are such rivals might make it bit unusual.

Sonny will definately have to prove himself to a certain extent but in saying that I think Henry and co. know that Sonny will do well in the ITM cup and in the ABs jersey. The way I see it is that Henry & co. they know Sonny is big and fast with amazing attacking skills and hits well in defence they figure if they surround him with world class players such as Carter and whoever else is in the centre's its a lethal attacking and
defensive mid-field unit and I think its brilliant.

But all of that is based on his league career, he's done **** all in union to warrant an All Black jersey

Ah ok. Playing for Auckland in Super Rugby but Canterbury in the NPC is a bit weird though right?

Yeah it does seem a bit strange but the NZRU has been running the show that way for a while now. At the end of the day it's the players choice and there are alot of players that stay loyal to their home unions.

Brett is a good example. Zac Guilford (Crusaders / Hawkes Bay), Tanerau Latimer (Cheifs / Bay Of Plenty), Rene Ranger (Blues / Northland), Clint Newland (Highlanders / Hawkes Bay) are others.

Then there are the dis-loyals like Liam Messam, originally from the Bay Of Plenty, plays for the Cheifs in Super Rugby and in the ITM Cup he plays for Waikato instead of going back to the Bay etc.

That said, SBW is utter shite at Union and will be shown up big time for the one trick pony he really is just as soon as he attempts his cocky ********, one handed crashball game infront of more TV camera then he's ever experienced. Then he'll go running back to the NRL with his tail between his legs to a heroes welcome.

A question for you please.

If SBW is "utter shite at union", why were Toulon so desperate to re-sign him, to the tune of millions if dollars?

Word is, they were offering between five and eight times what he accepted from the NZRU (i.e. between $2.5m and $4m, and they were really. really ****** that he turned them down.

But all of that is based on his league career, he's done **** all in union to warrant an All Black jersey

So Ive reluctantly heard from some. There is a passion for Sonny to play for the ABs as well as him playing around good players which makes it even easier for him to shine. Im thinking it'll be different for Sonny here as it was in France.

So Ive reluctantly heard from some. There is a passion for Sonny to play for the ABs as well as him playing around good players which makes it even easier for him to shine. I thinking it'll be different for Sonny here as it was in France.

That's a load of arse and you know it. A good players should be able to perform in any team. For years we were told by New Zealanders that O'Driscoll only looked so good because he was playing in an average team. Sonny Bill was playing and still looked average, the players around him are no excuse. That passion stuff is a load of crock too. If he was so passionate about playing for the All Blacks then he wouldn't have gone up north in the first place.

Smartcooky said:
If SBW is "utter shite at union", why were Toulon so desperate to re-sign him, to the tune of millions if dollars?
Lots of reasons:

1) He's a big name. Toulon are desperate to raise their profile.
2) If a player is hyped up, Toulon will go after him (see Wilkinson and Sackey)
3) It's very difficult to find good centres a year out from the world cup. I can see why they would have wanted to try and hold onto what they had.
4) French clubs are very, very rich. While it was alotmore than the NZRU was offering him, the money wouldn't have been of much consequence to Toulon's sugardaddy.

I also think McCalister will not make it into the Black jersey as Henry will prefer SBW. It has to be said that Williams came back to NZ as they promised him a chance to get into the AB squad. Personally, the few games I saw SBW play in France he didn't really impress me. So it might be that if the doesn't pay up to the high expectations they drop him.

That's a load of arse and you know it. A good players should be able to perform in any team. For years we were told by New Zealanders that O'Driscoll only looked so good because he was playing in an average team. Sonny Bill was playing and still looked average, the players around him are no excuse. That passion stuff is a load of crock too. If he was so passionate about playing for the All Blacks then he wouldn't have gone up north in the first place.

Hey hey come down no need for playing God and saying what we do know and what we dont. Like everyone else here we write down what we think you included and thats what I wrote. Why would I write a whole lot of 'arse' as you call it? Why?...all I wrote is what I think triggered a person to turn down millions of dollars (passion to play for the Blacks is maybe why Sonny said I dont want millions of dollars) and playing around good players is easier for you than playing around bad players (if I did a poll on that most would pick the obvious) that to me sounds like good sense.

A lot of people are quick to criticise others for having a fair idea but have none of their own to share. So why do you think Sonny turned down millions to come here and go for an AB jersey Feicarsinn?...Why do you think Sonny wont be playing any better around a team that makes it easy for him?...your turn to answer the thing is I will RESPECT your opinion not tell you what thats it's arse and that you know it. Please share Im a gentleman and will respect your views after all we can only speculate

Hey hey come down no need for playing God and saying what we do know and what we dont. Like everyone else here we write down what we think you included and thats what I wrote. Why would I write a whole lot of 'arse' as you call it? Why?...all I wrote is what I think triggered a person to turn down millions of dollars (passion to play for the Blacks is maybe why Sonny said I dont want millions of dollars) and playing around good players is easier for you than playing around bad players (if I did a poll on that most would pick the obvious) that to me sounds like good sense.

A lot of people are quick to criticise others for having a fair idea but have none of their own to share. So why do you think Sonny turned down millions to come here and go for an AB jersey Feicarsinn?...Why do you think Sonny wont be playing any better around a team that makes it easy for him?...your turn to answer the thing is I will RESPECT your opinion not tell you what thats it's arse and that you know it. Please share Im a gentleman and will respect your views after all we can only speculate

Wow, people are rude sometimes on the internet. Get over it. Say something stupid and that's how people react.

Latest posts