• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Who will take over Hansens job in 2017?

Kiwi_

First XV
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Highlanders
It sounds like after the British and Irish Lions tour, he's throwing the towel in because he thinks "fresh blood" is needed - Personally I hope we convince him to stay on until after 2019, he's developed players exceptionally and knows exactly what you need and what it takes to win a RWC. No matter who we pick, it would be a huge down-grade. I'm gutted with this announcement, as I'm sure nearly every Kiwi is.

He's already turned down a contract extension, so it sounds like he's serious, unless we have no obvious candidates and we beg him, or offer him ridiculous money or overwhelm him with huge amounts of support, he's going.. So, we will be looking for a coach next season.

Quick realistic shortlist;

Jamie Joseph
Ian Foster (most likely?)
Wayne Smith
Dave Rennie

Foreign options (which I'm really not a fan of)

Joe Schmidt
Gats
Vern Cotter (I like him the most out of the 3)

People might throw in Eddie Jones name, as much as I like the bloke and respect him as a coach, I don't want anyone other than a Kiwi taking the team, simply because they understand New Zealand rugby the best and well.. it just wouldn't be right any other way.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/all-blacks/73577828/world-cupwinning-all-blacks-coach-steve-hansen-expected-to-stand-down-after-british--irish-lions-tour-in-2017

Smith IMO.

Dave rennie will be with England anyway ;)

Is that the word going around?

Gee, I hope not, I really rate Dave and he's worked closely with Sam. Sams actually looked his best in a Chiefs jersey, also he's worked well with Damo McKenzie and Cruden.

Foster and Rennie would be top on my list, followed closely by Jamie Joseph, I don't think Wayne will want the job personally, he's already said he doesn't like the lime light and being the front man.

It isn't the word going around Unfortunately.

England should splash the cash on him or Eddie Jones IMO but we will prob stick with Lancaster

Maybe Hansen should step down sooner rather than later. As he's said himself, the RWC is a 4 year project, the team is going to look vastly different in 4 years and 2 years to build a team and combinations/depth seems a little tight. Unless he's looking to pass the baton to Foster, which would make a much smoother transition, as they work so closely together and both know which direction to step.

I can't help but feel an external appointment would put too much pressure on for the next RWC with such little time. Surely it has to be Foster. Unless he brings Dave or whoever into the frame next season and gives them some insight into how things are going and what direction the teams heading in.

Last edited:
It sounds like after the British and Irish Lions tour, he's throwing the towel in because he thinks "fresh blood" is needed - Personally I hope we convince him to stay on until after 2019, he's developed players exceptionally and knows exactly what you need and what it takes to win a RWC. No matter who we pick, it would be a huge down-grade. I'm gutted with this announcement, as I'm sure nearly every Kiwi is.

He's already turned down a contract extension, so it sounds like he's serious, unless we have no obvious candidates and we beg him, or offer him ridiculous money or overwhelm him with huge amounts of support, he's going.. So, we will be looking for a coach next season.

Quick realistic shortlist;

Jamie Joseph
Ian Foster (most likely?)
Wayne Smith
Dave Rennie

Foreign options (which I'm really not a fan of)

Joe Schmidt
Gats
Vern Cotter (I like him the most out of the 3)

People might throw in Eddie Jones name, as much as I like the bloke and respect him as a coach, I don't want anyone other than a Kiwi taking the team, simply because they understand New Zealand rugby the best and well.. it just wouldn't be right any other way.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...-down-after-british--irish-lions-tour-in-2017

Yeah mate, I was gutted to hear that it looks like he will move on, but perhaps not suprised as it must be a heck of a stressful job!!

As for the next coaching unit? Yeah mate I'm really not sure. I havent heard anything and havent put much thought into it. I assume they will roughly follow the same blue print as this last world cup and keep some consistency so presumably Foster is the front runner IF he wants it (and I assume he probably does). I'm not convinced about Foster but it is hard to tell.

I think they would do well to bring in some new blood too though so perhaps Joseph with a view to having him take over one day OR Rennie.

I really hope Smith sticks around in the background but he must be about to give it up too. If thats the case then even more likely that Foster takes the top job.

The one thing that I am worried about, and you mention it above is the short 2 year time frame the new coach will have to work in for the RWC '19 if Hansen gives it up. But again, al the more reason that someone internal will take over. I have no doubts if Hansen is set on retirement that these conversations will be well underway and the succession plan will already be being sorted out. WIth that in mind it will be interesting to see if they bring ayone new into the mix pre Lions tour as that could be a bit of a hint as to whats to come.

Either way we are blessed with both playing and coaching talent! 2019 Repeat well on the cards I reckon!!

I think Hansen wants a series win over the Lions to end his ABs run with.

You would assume the incumbent assistants would get the bump, much like Hansen did.

With some Rennie thrown into the mix.

At some stage Rennie is going to want to step up to international honours.

I to am not 100% sold on Foster either! The Chiefs were really volatile under him and mentally weak, thinking back to that final where the Bulls thumped them by 60 points being a good example. But that was years ago and he has been in a completely different environment since and has obviously had a big helping hand in the current set-up, but his personality doesn't quite do it for me. I'm not sure he has the same maturity as Hansen and mind-set, just a feeling I get from his disposition at times.

But I think it might come down to a Hansen recommendation as well, one good thing about NZ rugby is we're all relatively close, be it Jamie, Dave etc, relationships are already there in place and the players and management more or less know each other reasonably well at that level and there's no sense of animosity between any unions or management, we're not as regional as other countries. So bringing in new blood might not be that much of an issue, especially if they're given a look next year and until they're ready to take over!

For me I would hope Hansen would extend another two years past 2017 - as I don't like the idea of a new coach taking over midway through a cycle. With that said my picks would be either Rennie or Schmidt. No way do I like Ian Foster for head coach!

I suppose if someone like Rennie isn't given the job they will head elsewhere eventually.

Last edited:
For me I would hope Hansen would extend another two years past 2017 - as I don't like the idea of a new coach taking over midway through a cycle. With that said my picks would be either Rennie or Schmidt. No way do I like Ian Foster for head coach!

I suppose if someone like Rennie isn't given the job they will head elsewhere eventually.

Have Foster Rennie and Smith worked together before? or was Rennie a straight swap for Foster?

Perhaps if its not Foster that takes over, then Rennie might come straight in as head coach with Smith an assistant. That would provide some level of consistency right?

I suspect as much as Hansens recommendations will count so will Smith's he has worked alongside both Rennie and Foster so he will have a good sense of the best man for the job should it be between those two!!

You can have Stuart Lancaster now if you like . We will even give you Farrell, Rowntree and Catt for free . Sort of a buy one get three free .....

Have Foster Rennie and Smith worked together before? or was Rennie a straight swap for Foster?

Perhaps if its not Foster that takes over, then Rennie might come straight in as head coach with Smith an assistant. That would provide some level of consistency right?

I suspect as much as Hansens recommendations will count so will Smith's he has worked alongside both Rennie and Foster so he will have a good sense of the best man for the job should it be between those two!!

Pretty sure it was a straight up swap. Rennie was with the Turbos when he was promoted to head coach of the Chiefs - and during the SR season he was head coach of the U20s. As far as I know they never worked together. I could certainly live with a Rennie/Smith combo (or a Rennie/Schmidt for that matter).

I think it will be Foster. Hansen said Foster has been doing a lot of the coaching. Hansen also pulled him into the press conferences at the world cup and got him fielding some questions. I figure this signals that the plan is for Foster to take over from Hansen when he steps aside. Then I'd expect someone like Rennie to be pulled in to fill the gap. Then after the following world cup he will be ready to take over from Foster.

I would go for Cotter if I were NZ officials, but if they really wanted to be daring Saint-André should still be looking for a job in 2017...

I would go for Cotter if I were NZ officials, but if they really wanted to be daring Saint-André should still be looking for a job in 2017...

PSA to replace Lancaster?

On a serious note, while I like Vern Cotter a lot as a coach - I think demonstrating the ability to win trophies is an absolute must for any international coach.

His record of consistently making Clermont a force in Europe is great - but one Top 14 ***le in 9 years doesn't really rustle my jimmies. He'd have to massively turn Scotland around and win things before I would consider him anything more than assistant coach. Nope, for me the only coach that is overseas I would consider is Schmidt.

I have a feeling Schmidt will be with Ireland until 2019, I've heard murmurings that he's disgusted with that world cup and wants to redeem himself, although if NZ come calling I wouldn't blame him for jumping ship for his dream job.

Is staying around for the Lions wise? If he comes up against a Schmidt coached side (Although I hope he doesn't get the call as I want him with Ireland) with the resources of the Lions a test series loss isn't inconceivable without Carter, McCaw and friends. I can also imagine a Lions test series win being considered a given in NZ while a loss would be a huge blot on his reputation, is it not a big risk for very little reward??

I read that Vern Cotter is one of the favourites.

- - - Updated - - -

I think Hansen wants a series win over the Lions to end his ABs run with.

You would assume the incumbent assistants would get the bump, much like Hansen did.

With some Rennie thrown into the mix.

At some stage Rennie is going to want to step up to international honours.

Yes. He wants to finish his tenure when the Lions series has concluded.

PSA to replace Lancaster?

On a serious note, while I like Vern Cotter a lot as a coach - I think demonstrating the ability to win trophies is an absolute must for any international coach.

His record of consistently making Clermont a force in Europe is great - but one Top 14 ***le in 9 years doesn't really rustle my jimmies. He'd have to massively turn Scotland around and win things before I would consider him anything more than assistant coach. Nope, for me the only coach that is overseas I would consider is Schmidt.

Not winning to Clermont is also down to club culture, they played 10 finals (the first one in 1936) before winning the French championship and have lost another two finals last season... He still had 78 undefeated home games in a row with Clermont , isn't that All-Black-like enough for you?
I think that NZ should be looking for a coach with a strong playing identity, and an resolutely offensive one as Cotter's, with the talent available victories will then just happen by themselves (almost).

Not winning to Clermont is also down to club culture, they played 10 finals (the first one in 1936) before winning the French championship and have lost another two finals last season... He still had 78 undefeated home games in a row with Clermont , isn't that All-Black-like enough for you?
I think that NZ should be looking for a coach with a strong playing identity, and an resolutely offensive one as Cotter's, with the talent available victories will then just happen by themselves (almost).

I know his record, but the All Blacks don't need a great coach to have a really good home record. We need a coach who will continually win us championships. It's not like Clermont have been without a ridiculous amount of talent over the last 10 years, so for whatever the reason I'd have expected more trophies.

Again, I rate him as a coach. But he would need to prove he can get a team to win big games consistently. I think Schmidt has certainly demonstrated that more thoroughly.

Latest posts