• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Who will win Rugby League world cup?

I think I agree.

You never know though....England and New Zealand have infact won a game or two against the Kangaroos in the past decade.

i think australia will definately win. althought nz and england do pull off some victories, australia usually lifts when they need to.

the most interesting part of the world cup i reckon will be the battle for the fourth spot between teams like tonga france and papua new guinea.

anyway im happy the finals at suncorp !

i fink its prety obviuos dat the aussies will win
who is gona stop them

MODERATOR TRANSLATION
I think its pretty obvious that the aussies will win.
Who is going to stop them?

LOL Rugby League World Cup. As much as I like Rugby League the idea of it having a world cup just seems silly... The only teams that can compete are Australia, Britain and NZ. So why not just keep the Tri Nations format?

LOL Rugby League World Cup. As much as I like Rugby League the idea of it having a world cup just seems silly... The only teams that can compete are Australia, Britain and NZ. So why not just keep the Tri Nations format? [/b]

If you look to the pool organization you will see that this actually kind of an extended Tri Nations with some incentive to the French to level up and to enter from 2009 in a 4 Nations competition.

Really? What kind of following does league have in France? I know they now have a team in the ESL, but apart from that it's pretty limited right?

Really? What kind of following does league have in France? I know they now have a team in the ESL, but apart from that it's pretty limited right? [/b]

LOl France has 25,000 registered players thats less rugby union players than Canada has... kind of a joke don't you think... anyways I like league but the Tri Nations was way better then this period.... I don't wanna watch teams like Ireland who don't even actually have any Irish in the team lol Lets not even try and pretend league is a viable international sport.

Take the **** all you want guys but lets not forget that the first 'Rugby' world cup was held in 1954. Some respect for the competition wouldn't go amiss.
Everyone within RL is fully aware of the shortcomings of our International scene but I'm sure that with regular competition the likes of France & PNG can begin to grow at this level.
Watch out for Samoa... they could definitely spring a surprise or two.

ENGLAND for the cup :cheers:

Take the **** all you want guys but lets not forget that the first 'Rugby' world cup was held in 1954. Some respect for the competition wouldn't go amiss.
Everyone within RL is fully aware of the shortcomings of our International scene but I'm sure that with regular competition the likes of France & PNG can begin to grow at this level.
Watch out for Samoa... they could definitely spring a surprise or two.

ENGLAND for the cup :cheers: [/b]
You're dreaming B)

australia is far too strong for other teams. why bother having a world cup if there is no competition?

ENGLAND for the cup :cheers: [/b]

possibly if johhny wilkinson switched to league, although he wouldn't be as effective as drop goals are only worth 1 point :p

australia is far too strong for other teams. why bother having a world cup if there is no competition? [/b]
To lift the profile of the game therefore allowing it to grow.

Who's to say NZ won't get in to their strides and really challenge Australia?!

If your logic was put in place then there would be no other one off internationals or international competitions involving Australia which kind of makes it hard for rugby league to grow...

Aussies will be undefeatable you cant deny them that, as long as something miraculously happen likes mass injuries and the Kiwis are at full strength i doubt there will be any competition

I like the way no one is even considering England to be any opposition. I hope the Aussie players have the same mindset come the world cup cos they'll be in for a shock. B)

I like the way no one is even considering England to be any opposition. I hope the Aussie players have the same mindset come the world cup cos they'll be in for a shock. B) [/b]
They won't take England lightly, but in all honesty you lot can't even beat us in your own backyard so how do you expect to win in ours? Seriously, the Kiwis are much more used to playing Australia than England, and that's why they'll be a bigger threat. More of their big name players like SBW and Benji Marshall (if fit) have played against the best of Australia week in week out and won't be intimidated (though they always do badly in the one off tests, they are always a challenge in any prolonged series). England on the other hand, even when they look like a good team on paper, never seem to know how to play Australia and also don't seem to believe they can win either (something which has been very evident over the last decade in particular).

Don't count out Samoa now full of ex Kiwi players.

I'll be sure to put a dollar or two on them for fun.

SANZAR, we beat Australia down under in 2006. It does happen from time to time.

I think we're going to go there with confidence. I totally expecct Australia to win but anyone writing England off are fools to themselves, they really are.

SANZAR, we beat Australia down under in 2006. It does happen from time to time.

I think we're going to go there with confidence. I totally expecct Australia to win but anyone writing England off are fools to themselves, they really are. [/b]
Yes, I remember it well. Australia were over confident and taken by surprise were defeated by 10 points (though following that game GB went on to lose the remaining 3 against both Aus and NZ), but don't count on them being caught by surprise in the world cup.
But listen, don't get me wrong, England won't be push overs and I'd actually like to see you lot start winning a few series against us in all honesty (seriously, Internationals should mean more to us than the State of Origin, but we have to value our victories before that happens), but time and time again it's been shown that GB isn't consistent enough or disciplined enough to really compete with Australia. This year may prove otherwise, but until you lot really break the hoodoo (and I'll be the first to congratulate you)I won't hold my breath.

Latest posts