Votes: 0 0.0%
  • France

• Other

• Total voters
S

St Helens RLFC

Who is going to win the World Cup in 2008?

My heart says England but my head says Australia. However, despite the fact they have struggled ever since, who can even think about discounting the Kiwis since they shocked Australia in the Tri Nations final in 2005?

It's realisitcally between those three, IMO. I hope to see France and PNG do well but I'm afraid the others are just, for now, making up the numbers.

Dont be silly Australia wont win a team comprising of two states of QLD and NSW will win. :p

Oh well **** happens Go Australia hopefully we can beat the **** out of the poms and kiwis. :bana:

Not that anyone outside the eastern states will see it live (unless you want to wait until the early hours of the morning) due to the fact that channel 9 has the rights. :(

Australia are currently suffering from a bit of an injury problem. Losing Big Willie No Brains is a big blow. The Kiwis are losing players well. Aside from Burgess, England haven't, touch wood, had too many injury problems so far.

I voted Other, would of chosen another team but Other was the only suitable option :p

ha, anyone seriously thinking a team other than Australia will win it is kidding themselves.

Helens, willy seriously is a not a huge loss, hes the most overated player who shouldnt be playing for NSW let alone Australia, give me Dallas Johnson or Sammy Thaiday any day of the week.

I'll just remind you of the Australian players we have

Starting 13 shud/cud be

FB: Hunt/Slater/Stewart/Gidley
Wings:Folau and one of the fullbacks
Centres:Hodges and Inglis
Halves: Lockyer and Thurston
Backrow: Johnson/Thaiday/Gallen/Crocker/Laffranchi
Hooker: Smith
Props: Price and Cinoniceva

I think that the aggregation of QLD and NSW should win this competition versus the Northern England province and the Auckland subburbs club.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (QLD @ Sep 7 2008, 01:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Starting 13 shud/cud be

Props: Price and Cinoniceva[/b]
Wow!
Every year though this team is simply wow!

The Aussie backline is (as always) awesome and the only way they won't win the comp is if England or New Zealand really kick their arses upfront.
Mason isn't a loss IMO cos' he's had little impact whenever I've seen him this season. Thaiday is miles better.

England have a chance because of our forwards... I worry about the backs though... Senior, Gleeson, Wellens, Gardner & Raynor is very pedestrian compared to what the Aussies have on show.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Vambo @ Sep 7 2008, 02:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The Aussie backline is (as always) awesome and the only way they won't win the comp is if England or New Zealand really kick their arses upfront.
Mason isn't a loss IMO cos' he's had little impact whenever I've seen him this season. Thaiday is miles better.

England have a chance because of our forwards... I worry about the backs though... Senior, Gleeson, Wellens, Gardner & Raynor is very pedestrian compared to what the Aussies have on show.[/b]

Maybe a mix of English forwards and NZ backs could do something against Australia...

:p :D

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (St Helens RLFC @ Sep 7 2008, 03:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Australia are currently suffering from a bit of an injury problem. Losing Big Willie No Brains is a big blow. The Kiwis are losing players well. Aside from Burgess, England haven't, touch wood, had too many injury problems so far.[/b]

Rubbish the talent pool is deep willie isnt a great loss.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cymro @ Sep 7 2008, 07:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
As much as I hate to say it England or if not them then NZ![/b]

Neither never fear we will win again as we have done since 1975!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (QLD @ Sep 7 2008, 10:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
ha, anyone seriously thinking a team other than Australia will win it is kidding themselves.

Helens, willy seriously is a not a huge loss, hes the most overated player who shouldnt be playing for NSW let alone Australia, give me Dallas Johnson or Sammy Thaiday any day of the week.

I'll just remind you of the Australian players we have

Starting 13 shud/cud be

Props: Price and Cinoniceva[/b]

Even if we dont have that side there is a bunch of great players that are raring to go and will do well.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DonBilly @ Sep 7 2008, 11:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I think that the aggregation of QLD and NSW should win this competition versus the Northern England province and the Auckland subburbs club + wigan\[/b]

:lol2tn: Well played sir and your right and you forgot wigan in all of that.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Charles @ Sep 7 2008, 11:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Vambo @ Sep 7 2008, 02:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

England have a chance because of our forwards... I worry about the backs though... Senior, Gleeson, Wellens, Gardner & Raynor is very pedestrian compared to what the Aussies have on show.[/b]

Maybe a mix of English forwards and NZ backs could do something against Australia...

:p :D
[/b][/quote]

Well both have being trying to beat us for years it hasnt work!.

That said we have a poor record in the club challenge thingy. :bleh!:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (redunderthebed @ Sep 7 2008, 05:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Well both have being trying to beat us for years it hasnt work!.[/b]

The Kiwis handed you your arses on a plate a couple of years back in the Tri Nations final or were you trying to forget that ;)

Oh my God, RUTB's post has just made me realise how much I HATE, DESPISE and LOATHE the Kangeroos as well as the NRL. If the Aussies don't win it (I'm sure they will) then I am going to celebrate every day for the rest of my being.

COME ON ENGLAND!

I reckon NZ or AUS, due to their impressive line up.

Although and here I'm very realistic, it's a sports game, everything can during a sports game, unexpected injuries, a crappy ref, evil weather circumstances etc...

I once made this mistake assuming that NZ would beat France during the WRC which was a sad day for me.

So basically I will change my phrase construction and say that AUS or NZ have the better cards for me to achieve something great and have a good result, maybe a possible end victory. Reffering to the above mentioned reason(A very political correct phrase)

:cheers:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (amobokobokoboko @ Sep 8 2008, 09:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Although and here I'm very realistic, it's a sports game, everything can during a sports game, unexpected injuries, a crappy ref, evil weather circumstances etc...

I once made this mistake assuming that NZ would beat France during the WRC which was a sad day for me.

So basically I will change my phrase construction and say that AUS or NZ have the better cards for me to achieve something great and have a good result, maybe a possible end victory. Reffering to the above mentioned reason(A very political correct phrase)

:cheers:[/b]

I guess that was your first RWC...You will learn... :p

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Charles @ Sep 8 2008, 10:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (amobokobokoboko @ Sep 8 2008, 09:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:cheers:[/b]

I guess that was your first RWC...You will learn... :p
[/b][/quote]

Fair enough mate , but I don't know if you saw the testgames in May-June where the slaughtered them, so I assumed that they had a big chance to win, if I remember correctly MacCalister missed some conversions. If he had scored those points we had have a completely different game.

Off Topic, enchanté Charles, comment allez- vous? ;)

Ca va tres bien, merci ! Tu peux me tutoyer au fait.

Yeah they slaughtered us like 4 times in a row, but France isn't the most logical country you know... Everything's different when it's a do or die situation, and mental toughness did the difference. When you can counter the AB's on physicality/impact, and defense then suddenly they seem to have no game plan. We just fed on the frenzy really. If you give France a sniff, beware.

Merci beaucoup mon ami,

I think the shock was soo big owing to the fact that I hadn't see the French team preform for a very long time ( I think 4 years orso) on BBC they only broadcast UK games, or 6 nations etc...

That day the better team won, but I can 't wait for the day both are on the pitch again during a big event, NZ aiming to claim a payback.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Vambo @ Sep 8 2008, 02:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (redunderthebed @ Sep 7 2008, 05:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well both have being trying to beat us for years it hasnt work!.[/b]

The Kiwis handed you your arses on a plate a couple of years back in the Tri Nations final or were you trying to forget that ;)

[/b][/quote]

A abberation i believe (and i think the fact we beat them recently as last season 58-0 is proof of that) a necessary kick up the arse to wake us up out of complacency.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (St Helens RLFC @ Sep 8 2008, 04:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Oh my God, RUTB's post has just made me realise how much I HATE, DESPISE and LOATHE the Kangeroos as well as the NRL. If the Aussies don't win it (I'm sure they will) then I am going to celebrate every day for the rest of my being.

COME ON ENGLAND![/b]

I was just stating the fact Australia has a deep talent pool if 2 or 3 players or whatever get injured there is a whole host of fringe players that are raring to go and will approach the quality that our best squad puts out.

You got to lighten up a bit whenever i pay out england im taking the **** they might not beat us but we should NEVER EVER EVER EVER take them lightly or any opposition.We are the hunted not the hunter and everyone would give there left arm to knock us off as it happens with any successful team.

Complacency is a thing that we must not fall into otherwise if we hit a team that plays the game of their life we could fall very easily.

It hurts me to say this but I struggle to see anyone getting close to Australia.

If NZ had SBW, Frank Pritchard and Roy Asotasi then maybe just maybe they might have been in with a shot but it's not to be.
In saying that if the Warriors can topple Melbourne, then my opinion may change. If it rains the kiwi's have a much better chance as the wet weather warriors have been showing the past few weeks the fancy pants aussies struggle in the wet.

I would even rate the poms over the kiwis based on last years form, but I am hoping that was just an abberation due to a rubbish coach.