• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Who would you like to see make the switch

ENZED-88

Academy Player
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Auckland
So the recent return of SBW has got me thinking of other players I would like to see make the switch from league to Union or Union to league, for me I would like to see Shaun Johnson find a position somewhere in a union backline, better footwork than any player either code,fullback,wing? Would like to Manu Vatuvei at no8 big ball carrier with the speed of a winger.For Australia Inglis. Imagine sending him up north no one up there would have ever seen anything like him. Aussies could do with someone like Paul Gallen, there isn't a single enforcer in that aussie pack you get all that and more with Gallen. For england burgess obviously can't wait to see how he goes, tough,tough man. James graham at no8 another pom hard as nails a relentless ball playing forward. Sam Tomkins I would like to see him **** off back to england to free up some salary cap money for players who are worth it. As for Union players making the switch Savea in the centres Read in the front row Arron Smith at hooker.
So what do you guys think anyone you want to see make the switch?

would just love to see Ariana Grande make the switch to hardcore, no doubt, I mean I understand she's young and all but that bish got buns like damn, I mean I would PAY to see her get.....oh..uhm.
Oh..

I may've read that ***le too fas...*runs away*

Maybe Roger Tuivasa-Sheck. He's got great skills and is still only 21, reasonably easy to convert from the wing. Shaun Johnson is another good call.

Be good to see Sam Tomkins play in the outside backs for England.

Tuivasa-sheck slipped my mind he's a union covert anyway isn't he? Shouldn't be to hard for him to slip back in. Rene Ranger would go good in the centers in league too. Most of the league boys are all pure athletism the way I see it

Sam Tomkins: For me he's been a failure in the NRL. Ultimately, a fullback needs to be good under the bomb. In that regard he fails miserably IMO. Great on attack. I don't see him making it in Union.

I think Thurston, Inglis, Slater and Hayne could all do well in Union. Difficult for the forwards because there are no longer any old style forwards that had to push in a scrum and get dirty. An Australian League journo back in the early 80's said it was a 13 backs game. Heaven knows what he would think about it now!

Tuivasa-Sheck only switched to league about 3 years ago didn't he?

I agree that I don't think Sam Tomkins would work in union... he runs very laterally and I don't think he has the skillset to be an international FB or Winger.

I'd like to see George and Tom Burgess play as an 8 combo... one on the for the first half, the other on for the second.

Issac Luke would be an entertaining SH.

Would enjoy watching Manu Tuilagi play as a forward, I reckon Mike Brown could be quite a good FB too.

Agreed with Greg Inglis, I always thought he would make a fantastic 13 in union. I would have loved to see Hayne play union as well but it looks like he's going to try his hand at the NFL instead. I don't watch much league but I remember seeing Josh Charnley highlights and thinking that he would make an interesting wing for an AVIVA premiership team.

I'm not a huge fan of rugby league nor do i know the scotland rugby league team altogether, so i've got no idea who i would like to see from scotland who play's league who would really be a good rugby union player.

But there is a player who's named got mention quite a bit is Matty Russell who is only 21 and has 4 tries for scotland in 4 games so i would like to see how he does in union.

Billy Slater, Jarryd Hayne and Greg Inglis for Oz. Shaun Jonhson for NZ.

Like it's been stated Australia have a lot of players who could fill in as outside backs bit like people have said on other threads they are in need of a few hard men in their pack. Seems a couple of you English arn't sold on Tompkins I think he's a very good player( just ****** me off how much the warriors are paying a season for him) Sam Burgess I honestly expect him to turn out for england in the World Cup he's a machine built for contact sport,are any english familiar with James graham? Hardest man in the NRL in my opinion Sam burgess came off second best against him in the NRL( broke his face literally)

An Scotty James McManus is a top Scottish winger plays for Newcastle knights an played origin for New South Wales, very competitive player.

Barry Nemes, Andy Ripley and John Carlton to league...

Roger Milward, Harry Pinner and Martin Offiah to Union...

They're not playing anymore? And one has passed away? WTF....

I'm not a huge fan of rugby league nor do i know the scotland rugby league team altogether, so i've got no idea who i would like to see from scotland who play's league who would really be a good rugby union player.

But there is a player who's named got mention quite a bit is Matty Russell who is only 21 and has 4 tries for scotland in 4 games so i would like to see how he does in union.
Huddlesfields outhalf is pretty bloody good. Would make the Scotland team instantly.

- - - Updated - - -

Graham, George Burgess, Callum Watkins for England.

Dylan Walker, Greg Inglis, Greg Eastwood, Jarryd Hayne for Aus.

Roger Tuivasa Sheck, Shaun Johnson for NZ

- - - Updated - - -

T-Rex and Frank Pritchard would be hard as nails and give some beef to that wallaby pack. (Or are they the same person? I get confused?) :(

Last edited:
I'd take Morgan Escare (wing), Remi Casty (backrow - 8?) and Tomas Bosc (distributing 12) at Sale any day of the week.
I'd want to shoehorn in Scott Dureau somewhere, he's such a talented player, but he's sooooo tiny (only 5'9 and 12st 8 - makes Giteau look like a giant :p). Could shove at 9, but I think he'd make a pretty special 10.

James Segyaro would be a good scrum half. Vatuvei if he improved his skills on the wing or Daryl Clark at scrum half.

Barry Nemes, Andy Ripley and John Carlton to league...

Roger Milward, Harry Pinner and Martin Offiah to Union...

They're not playing anymore? And one has passed away? WTF....
Roger Millward, truly great player. 04 July 1970 he scored the try on the Sydney Cricket Ground that last won us the League Ashes series. England haven't won one since. He played for my home town club (Hull KR). But the greatest player I ever saw was Alex Murphy. Went on Tour in 1958 just past his 19th birthday and was star of that Tour. Came back and did his national service and starred in Union as well, whilst still playing for St Helens on a weekend. He related a story that he played against the incumbent England fly and scored three tries before halftime. The old groundsman at Twickers when asked who was the best player he had seen after approx 30 years, without hesitation said Murphy and not the usual suspects. He toured again and starred on the 1962 Tour. His pace over 30 yards was startling. His self confidence and ego to match.

I'd take Morgan Escare (wing), Remi Casty (backrow - 8?) and Tomas Bosc (distributing 12) at Sale any day of the week.
I'd want to shoehorn in Scott Dureau somewhere, he's such a talented player, but he's sooooo tiny (only 5'9 and 12st 8 - makes Giteau look like a giant :p). Could shove at 9, but I think he'd make a pretty special 10.

What about the Wigan prop Flower? Lol bit of mongrel any team could do with

No thanks.
I was a "supporter" (or at least had an interest in) Cruaders when they were in Super League and didn't like him then, nothing changed in his time at Wigan and then what he did in the SL grand final was just ridiculous.

Huddlesfields outhalf is pretty bloody good. Would make the Scotland team instantly.

- - - Updated - - -

Graham, George Burgess, Callum Watkins for England.

Dylan Walker, Greg Inglis, Greg Eastwood, Jarryd Hayne for Aus.

Roger Tuivasa Sheck, Shaun Johnson for NZ

- - - Updated - - -

T-Rex and Frank Pritchard would be hard as nails and give some beef to that wallaby pack. (Or are they the same person? I get confused?) :(

Greg Eastwood and frank Prichard are both kiwis, but I think you're right about T Rex teach him Union forward play an he would make Wycliffe Palu redundant. I could see May making a good swap over to league too.

Ohh he's welsh that explains it:D

Last edited:

Latest posts