• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Who Would you take to the World Cup? England Edition

G

getofmeland

With the English squad due to be announced in the next couple of days who would YOU be placing on the plane to France... Has anyone impressed you in the Warmup games?
Anybody who you feel shouldn't be on the plane as a player?

Lets be aving your England Squads or Individuals, with a couple of reasons why...

In sport for major sporting nations, there is this thing called 'transition'.

This is the act of dropping your old stalwarts, who have been good, but just don't have the desired effect anymore in favour of younger or the overlooked players, with less experience but needing to gain more to become good at international level.

England fail to realise this. England will not win the World Cup this year i am sure, but if they did it'd IMHO be an injustice to other top teams with much better squads.

It is true that fielding youngsters with no experience will get you nowhere at international level, but in this scenario, where we are clearly stuck for decent experienced international players, that some experimentation should be used in order to see if the players causing a buzz at club level (like Haskell, Rees, Cipriani to name just 3) can adapt to international level.

It's rather like when England played Michael Owen in the '98 World Cup. He was an absolute joy and it was only when he was given a chance, he took it and showed us he had arrived.

I don't expect guys like Cipriani to win England a World Cup, but who is going to replace Robinson.. Cipriani would be a good player to mould into the fullback position at international level.

In my opinion, James Haskell, Tom Rees, Nick Abendanon, Danny Cipriani, Tom Palmer should have all gone, and selected guys like Dan Hipkiss deserve their place.

As the aussies said, england are the only team at the RWC who use a time machine to pick their squad. I agree with them.

Dallaglio
Farrell
Cueto

Why???

i think that they should switch Robinson and Cueto around, i believe Robinson is a better fullback and Cueto a better wing.
i also think that worsley shouldnt be goin, i think that Andy Hazell is a better overall Flanker, he waz the flanker that put the most tackles in in the premiership 06/07 season.
but thats just what i think, it has no say in the final 30, all we haft to hope for now is that the injury Vickery got in the France game wont keep him out of the world cup. i think hes the best choice of captain for England.

i also think that worsley shouldnt be goin, i think that Andy Hazell is a better overall Flanker, he waz the flanker that put the most tackles in in the premiership 06/07 season. [/b]

He's not got **** on Haskell, Rees or Lund. Agreed about Billy and Cueto however, or even switching Lewsey and Cueto could work better then the present setup.

How many impressive performances, in union, has Farrell put in so far?
I can't understand why he's going.

I'd have dropped Worsley also, and Lorry D - he's there for nostalgia, nothing else.

Ashton should have gambled on the surprise factor of relative unknowns instead of sticking with dependable mediocrity.

worsley should go for whenver the gameplan is solely based on defence. LDND is there to help motivate the rest.

Worsley in the International arena is a load of ****; Defensively he's doesn't offer any more then any other opensides (even Hazel looks solid in defence) while in attack he's pathetic... *coughfrancecough* I'd sooner take Ben Lewitt then Worsley to france, and Lewitt is barely an average player.

Rees or Lund would be the inteligent choices.

England will not win the World Cup this year i am sure, but if they did it'd IMHO be an injustice to other top teams with much better squads.

[/b]

I don't see why it would be an injustice if the other teams want to fail miserably. Not going to happen though. Ashton needs to do as well as possible at the world cup, so he's kept some of the old guard. The time to blood more new players is in the years after the world cup to prepare for the next one.

A shame about strettle but these things happen in rugby. Abendanon should be going instead of farrell.

A shame about strettle but these things happen in rugby. Abendanon should be going instead of farrell. [/b]

i thought Abendanon was a full-back.

He is, but Abanamamamamamamnanananamamanananananan deserves to go more not only because the England squad is very short on dedicated fullbacks (especially as Ashton insists on playing Cueto-the-Winger there) but also because he's always looked good since his England debut... Something Farrell has never done.

Plus, there are already 27 different centres in the squad.

You know what?

I think that the lack of Saints players is the root of England's problems! :p

Coz when we won in 2003, Ben Cohen, Steve Thompson, Matt Dawson and Paul Grayson all played important roles.

If only Clarkey hadn't got injured and Dylan hadn't got banned, if they were in there of course we'd win again. Because Saints people are the best people in the world. :rolleyes:

Latest posts