• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Who's the best Scrum-half as of early 2014 ?

Big Ewis

Hall of Fame
Country Flag
France
Club or Nation
Toulon
yeh just would like some opinions, could be interesting. Obviously I regret putting Philips on my World XV, a rushed decision...but neither at the time nor now even after some research can I find a 'great' 9 in the world..

Genia's had ups and downs this season, and isn't as good as he was during that prime period of his some time ago.
Parra is good, but come on, he's not to be in a World XV there's got to be better. Pélissié, Doussain and Machenaud all have good/very good elements but they're obviously not the single best in the world.
Youngs, Care ? nahhh...
Du Preez ? he's got the smarts and the little crafty, original moves...he seems stable. But I don't know, again, must be better out there, no ?
Pieenar ?...
Aaron Smith ? need to see more of him tbh...he's looked good but I need to see more and I think he needs to show more.
Conor Murray's fine. But the best ?...nah.
Philips has some obvious advantages, but then he can be very flat in some showings..
Laidlaw's good..

A guy nobody would even think of but who's really impressed me, but it would sound a bit ridiculous to proclaim him the best SH in the world:
Rory Kockott. I think SA are bunkers for not picking him, at very least as a replacement for du Preez. He's extremely crafty, quick, nimble. He's very strong for such a "small guy" (180cm 92kg), he's very positive, amazingly enthusiastic (constantly congratulates his forwards, works the refs, very active verbally on the field), he kicks those insane drop goals, very good penalty kicker, shows some good attacking ability occasionally, sound passer...still 'mildly' young (27).
Just a quick message: I think it's perfectly ridiculous he should be eligible for France in August...

Brian O'Riordan.

I love how his wikipedia says: ????–2006 Leinster.

"We don't know much about the fellow...he could be 27. Then again, he could also be 34. We THINK that's his real name, but we're not quite certain about it..."

Rory Kockott. Best scrumhalf I've seen in modern rugby.

hey dude...are you fkn with me right now ? not sure ;)

I feel I don't know enough about the SH position as I'd like to make such a claim, but I kinda....I kinda feel like he's the best I've seen recently (??)
so please lemme know if you're half-kidding here, I'm seriously on a pretty precarious step argumentatively so I'm just too easy prey.

He is, for ppl who don't watch him often, most clearly in the world Top 5 at the moment at least...but could one say he's the single best SH right now ?...

No, I genuinely think he is an outstanding player. Tough boy, doesn't shy from the physicality. Keeps his team going forwards, not afraid to make a break, perfect SH for French rugby. Solid goalkicking helps too. In my rugby watching life ~2008-now, I'd say he is the best I've seen.

No, I genuinely think he is an outstanding player. Tough boy, doesn't shy from the physicality. Keeps his team going forwards, not afraid to make a break, perfect SH for French rugby. Solid goalkicking helps too. In my rugby watching life ~2008-now, I'd say he is the best I've seen.

pardon my despicable lack of trust in you, but you must understand...these are some perilous, perilous whereabouts...
all those guys I mention in my OP bring some very solid SH play, but none *stand out*. And Kockott does. He does all the standard no.9 work well, great fundamentals, and then he adds his own originality and things only he brings to the 9 jersey...

It is a good question, as there is really no standout. It also depends on the style your team plays, as there are many different 'styles' of halfbacks out there.

At his best I firmly believe Will Genia is a the best halfback in the world. He is an excellent ball runner, has a good kicking game, and reads and controls the game well. However he has been nowhere near his best for the last couple of seasons, and he was dire for most of 2014. Fourie du Preez is and outstanding halfback, but unfortunately we don't see a lot of him at international level since he moved to Japan. He has probably the best tactical kicking game of any international halfback, which can be a big asset if your gameplan involves a lot of kicking. Aaron Smith had a very good international season last year (as a disappointing year for the Highlanders). However he is still a work in progress at test level. His passing game is second to none, he is an excellent support player and he when he runs he can be very dangerous, the problem is his inconsistency. He does still have a few bad games at test level, he can box-kick too much at times (though is improving this), and he doesn't really suit a tight, slower paced game.

I'm less familiar with the NH halfbacks. Parra always impresses me. Mike Phillips has some obvious assets, but his distribution skills let him down (and he comes across as a bit of a Pratt). I have been impressed with Connor Murray this season - when he came on the scene I thought he was just a smaller version of Mike Phillips, but he seems to have a pretty good skill-set.

So my conclusion......ummmmmm..... no idea....... :lol:

Doesn't matter who is now, TJ Peranara will be the best by 2015 ;).

Care has easily stood out amongst the NH teams at the start of the 6N. He's so far ahead of any other NH scrum-half based on those showings, you may as well not even consider them. I'm surprised you discarded him out-of-hand.

Darwin: yep, agreed on your points...but there just isn't a one, singular standout is there...and I don't know if I can vote for Kockott, although I'd be quite tempted.

Care has easily stood out amongst the NH teams at the start of the 6N. He's so far ahead of any other NH scrum-half based on those showings, you may as well not even consider them. I'm surprised you discarded him out-of-hand.

Careful with the hyperbole. He's been decent to good. Still can't box kick to save his life. Maybe not showing as much of a breaking game as he could. Deserve to be in the conversation, sure, far ahead of any other NH scrum-half I can't agree with.

It's hard to tell really, I'd say Smith but he gets an armchair ride with the All Black pack and if he's not played well for his club side that has to be taken in to consideration. The standard of 9's in the Northern Hemisphere isn't great, Murray probably being the best so far this season and he's no world beater. Genia probably has the best potential but he hasn't reached it recently. Kockott looks good but I think you need to play international to be considered the best.

International level - Smith
Club level - Kockott

It's hard to tell really, I'd say Smith but he gets an armchair ride with the All Black pack and if he's not played well for his club side that has to be taken in to consideration. The standard of 9's in the Northern Hemisphere isn't great, Murray probably being the best so far this season and he's no world beater. Genia probably has the best potential but he hasn't reached it recently. Kockott looks good but I think you need to play international to be considered the best.

International level - Smith
Club level - Kockott

fair enough...so we all (seem to) agree Genia is the best in potential, while Kockott is very impressive, and Aaron Smith is very good but benefits from playing with the All-Blacks and his club play is somewhat dubious (apparently, I don't know myself) and hasn't reached his ceiling yet.
While Murray, Parra, Du Preez deserve mentions.

Last edited:
Fumiaki Tanaka.

Not going to say he's the best but I'd pick him for England if he was English.
Phenomenal service - solid running , kicking and defensive game.

eh....?

I'm not seen Paul Marsha... I mean Ruan Pienaar anywhere in this thread yez bunch of blasphemous b0ll0xes!!!

edit: Who set up the naughty name filter?!?! b_o_l_l_o_x isn't exactly what I would call post-watershed only!!!!

Justin Marshall! :D *ducks rotten tomatoes and runs for cover*

Sorry, force of habit. :p

Oh, and I'll let you know what I think after SR has a few matches under its belt - I really haven't been watching much NH rugby so couldn't say at this point who's looking good, and who's not. I do like Smith, but then I guess I'm partial to an AB.

das

Justin Marshall! :D *ducks rotten tomatoes and runs for cover*

Sorry, force of habit. :p

Oh, and I'll let you know what I think after SR has a few matches under its belt - I really haven't been watching much NH rugby so couldn't say at this point who's looking good, and who's not. I do like Smith, but then I guess I'm partial to an AB.

das

I see your Justin Marshall and raise you a Jimmy Cowan...

Latest posts