• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Why aren't there Friday night Test matches?

Leonormous Boozer

Fat Boi
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Leinster
There's always clashes on Saturday meaning I don't get to see all the live rugby I want on any given weekend! Is there a reason or should we all just complain about life in this thread??

And none on a Sunday this weekend either. Bonkers scheduling in my humble opinion. I'll just have to head out and get steaming instead. Harrumph!

Grumble grump grumble

Yeah it's crap innit, England and Scotland games on at the same time last week too, couldn't believe it.

Still, Bath-Brizzle promises to less than make up for it so that's something

Agree with everything so far. We have Friday and Sunday games during the 6N why not during the AI's?

Last week I was watching England in the pub while someone was relaying the Scotland score to us. Would have loved to have seen both games live

I agree, this is ridiculous scheduling, there should be matches on Friday and Sunday as well. A Tier 2 test could even be played on Thursday evening.

+1 on all counts, totally bonkers, it's as if those responsible for scheduling want poor viewing figures and live rugby gates to suffer.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree, this is ridiculous scheduling, there should be matches on Friday and Sunday as well. A Tier 2 test could even be played on Thursday evening.

From a selfish point of vew, that would be great, but wouldn't it hit the host nation financially?

From a selfish point of vew, that would be great, but wouldn't it hit the host nation financially?

You mean the Thursday night test? Not that much, Tier 2 tests don't make a lot of money anyway. And us Tier 2 supporters would still go to the stadium, we only have a few meaningful tests every year.

Besides, the Thursday match would get increased coverage, since many rugby fans around the world would probably watch it as an opener for the stronger weekend tests. I would even watch a Tier 3 test like Chile vs Korea or PNG vs Zimbabwe.

I can understand why games aren't held on Fridays. When you schedule an international you have to, at least, try to schedule it at a time that fits both countries viewers. Friday gives you a minuscule window to achieve that.
Having said that, i'd love to meet the genius that schedules Arg vs Sco at the same time as Ire vs NZ and no game on Sunday.
Sometimes you have too many options on a day and nothing the next day.

That makes no sense. For starters, South Africa are playing in these internationals. That aside, a 7pm game in the UK would air at 8am in New Zealand, which sounds a lot more palatable than the the 4am kick off that a 3pm kickoff in the UK means.

- - - Updated - - -

You mean the Thursday night test? Not that much, Tier 2 tests don't make a lot of money anyway. And us Tier 2 supporters would still go to the stadium, we only have a few meaningful tests every year.

Besides, the Thursday match would get increased coverage, since many rugby fans around the world would probably watch it as an opener for the stronger weekend tests. I would even watch a Tier 3 test like Chile vs Korea or PNG vs Zimbabwe.

Good point about the possibility of increased audiences who might be watching something else at more traditional times. I hadn't thought about it that way.

The scheduling conflicts of the games need to be sorted out. It's ridiculous that tier 1 nations are shown at the same time. It's been going on for a while. Friday night games would be great!

There probably aren't a lot of people that want to go and watch a test match on a Friday night

As evidenced by the sell out crowds and bumper TV audiences enjoyed by the Wales vs England Friday night games? It might be tricky in some places, but certainly works in Cardiff.

Latest posts