• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Why do England fans have to put with Andrew Cotter?

ExiledTiger

Academy Player
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Leicester
Howdi All,

Something thats been peeing me off lately is that, despite Scotland and Welsh matches getting homegrown commentators and guests, the BBC always stick that dullard Andrew Cotter on as commentator when England are playing.

He's so crap and has no humour whatsoever. Oh yeah and he's really chippy (as you'd expect!).

Funny that English licence fee payers pay for most of BBC's output yet they try this on.

Anyone happy to join me in a campaign to boot him out of English rugby? Or shall I just get Sky or BT Sport...

Ex

you're on your own mate, he's one of the least offensive commentators i find and quite pleasent to listen to at east he doesn't spend the whole game criticising the players.

Better than Eddie Butler that's for sure.

you're on your own mate, he's one of the least offensive commentators i find and quite pleasent to listen to at east he doesn't spend the whole game criticising the players.

Better than Eddie Butler that's for sure.

This! I find him soothing....and also, he keeps it together surprisingly well considering Scotland tend to have their hearts 'broken' in most games.

Also agree about Butler.....

Howdi All,

Something thats been peeing me off lately is that, despite Scotland and Welsh matches getting homegrown commentators and guests, the BBC always stick that dullard Andrew Cotter on as commentator when England are playing.

He's so crap and has no humour whatsoever. Oh yeah and he's really chippy (as you'd expect!).

Funny that English licence fee payers pay for most of BBC's output yet they try this on.

Anyone happy to join me in a campaign to boot him out of English rugby? Or shall I just get Sky or BT Sport...

Ex
is this a anti-scottish thing ? how can you hate Andrew Cotter, he is alot better than many commentators, i think your post was absolutely nonsense and should think about what your saying, i speak for most he makes a game exciting im sure we can all agree, should you get Sky or BT Sport ?, i think you should get neither and just stop watching rugby if you can't even put up with one off the best commentators going

Cotter is a good commentator, always does his research well and professionally before games. Not found him particularly bias whatsoever either, especially compared to when you see how home nation centric they tend to be in Australia or South Africa. Prefer him to Butler tbh.

Andrew Cotter is my favorite commentator by far from the English speaking world. He's a brilliant man (who I later learned studied philosophy so I have a penchant for him tenfold now having been a student myself..) and studied French too. He's very subtle, fantastic at description, has interesting little digressions he'll offer the listeners, and a great voice for a pundit. Knows to bring excitement but doesn't do too much. Always in the right balance of things, interacts intelligently with whomever he's calling matches with. And, this is personal, but I find his accent and diction in very good taste. It's Scottish but not thick. Very authentic...and definitely too smart to be biased. Can always call out Scotland for their mistakes and sees things clearly.
A very interesting man I'd love to meet and make sweet sweet love to, in short.

Don't really get why people dislike Butler so much - I guess the constant effort to be poetic could be a little grating, but on the whole he's ok.

Don't really get why people dislike Butler so much - I guess the constant effort to be poetic could be a little grating, but on the whole he's ok.

he's awful, he's the Owen Farrell of rugby commentary only one person on this forum is allowed to like him at any given time.... ;)

Eddie Butler loves the smell of his own farts and loves to hear himself speak. He's got a great forceful voice but eventually it gets annoying to sense that he loves the sound of his own voice. He's very careful with his diction too and likes to sound all nice and polished, his accent is smug as fk. The absolute opposite of Brian Moore, whom I do enjoy for his common sense and very direct approach. Me and Brian would get along just fine for sure, and not just because he's a hooker.

P.S.: oh sorry Eddie....*Brian, and I.

Never had any problem with Andrew Cotter personally. Like others Eddie Butler winds me up the most with Jonathan Davis as a close 2nd. Butler sounds smug and tries too hard to be poetic (and does the voice for those stupid intro videos) whilst JD is just like a yapping lap dog.

awww man, Davis...*with a rolling R* "grrrrrrrrrrrrrrreaaaaaat offloowwwwwwd Halfpennnnnnnnnehh"...
Jon "Superlatives" Davis. That hobbit (I'm assuming he's a hobbit..) is NOT !!!!! afraid of praising a player, or play.

He would've made an absolutely brilliant complimenter in a King's court, as the king wears various different new clothes.
If I ever, for whatever obscure reason, have to make a Snow White remake some day, I know who I'm choosing for the voice of the Queen's mirror. Not even interested in looking at anybody else.

Would happily listen to Cotter commentate on every game as he is head and shoulders above the rest.

Nothing wrong with Cotter.

Is anyone else really impressed with Andy Robinson? His insite is fantastic he obviously knows what hes talking about.

He's one of a certain brand of Welshman who's entire love of rugby is slightly built around an anti-English thing. Subtle, but over time I notice he'll never pass up on an opportunity to be critical, even though he does it in the "fair and balanced" commentator's tone of voice. I remember when he used to write The Breakdown (weekly rugby email from the Guardian) and I estimated he included some sort of reference to the English playing boring rugby in about three quarters of the emails.

He is also stupid, and frequently gets simple things wrong, whether it's a case of which player is involved or elementary rugby tactics / analysis.

I'm not a fan.

Never had a problem with his commentating. The 3 I don't like are butler, Moore and Barnes.

Latest posts