• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Why dont people like Eddie Butler commentating?

AzaMatt

Bench Player
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Ospreys
i actually quite like his commentary (dramatic poetry videos are a bit cringey). but i often see on posts/websites that lots of people cant stand him commentating but i do not understand why. One person i do not like is Brian Moore as he just seems petulant and always biased. can someone shed some light on why you do not like Butler?

LOLOL

Complaining about Moore being biased yet likes Butler

Looks at Nationality sees it is Wales.

Yep makes sense I guess.

Lolololololololol

Butler spends most of the time fapping to Wales whilst reading poetry in a dramatic way.

Hardly find Moore Biased in fact according to him England rugby was better in his days. (I'm indifferent to Moore TBH).

Last edited:
Ah he's all right.

But far off the standard bearer that is Jim Neilly.

LOLOL

Complaining about Moore being biased yet likes Butler

Looks at Nationality sees it is Wales.

Yep makes sense I guess.

Lolololololololol

Butler spends most of the time fapping to Wales whilst reading poetry in a dramatic way.

Hardly find Moore Biased in fact according to him England rugby was better in his days. (I'm indifferent to Moore TBH).

i see your point, yes butler seems to talk about wales quite a bit but i dont find that he is biased as in says that we're the better team and what not although perhaps i do not notice it because of my nationality haha.

Moore also seems to show waaay to much personal emotion for me, as in if england do something wrong he'll be like "oh for gods sake" etc.

Watch Butler commentate a non-Welsh match (where you'd expect personal bias) with England in it. He absolutely personifies the Anyone but England mentality of other British nations. At time he's suggested that doesn't matter what's in the lawbook as the decision was against England's perspective.

Luckilly they've been slowly removing him from the non-Wales matches for England.

I'm not so bothered by any bias he might show, but dislike the cadence of his voice. Always seems forced. Maybe it's just the memory of those sodding montages.

I find Nicol and Matthews the worst for bemoaning the supposed injustices affecting their countries. Moore generally interesting, Davies adds little but I enjoy his excitement.

Never understood people saying Moore is biased.
As above he's quite emotional/invested with England as he's English and an ex-player, it's not unusual.
He's always very fair and balanced in his commentary, though, and is the first to call out England for any BS.

My favourite mix is Andrew Cotter and Brian Moore!!

Wanted to say I much prefer Cotter as head commentator but feared I'd failed to notice his ABE tendencies ;)

Moore is my favourite commentator. I think some people need to recognise the difference the roles of main and co-commentator fulfils to see why Moore is so great. The main commentator provides the "play-by-play" descriptive commentary; the co-commentator interjects with analysis, stats, anecdotes, finer details. As a result, the main commentator is usually more "factual" and the co-commentator usually more "opinionated". There's no way Moore has of getting around having an opinion, it's pretty much his job.

The difficulty Moore faces in international rugby is the partisanship of nationality. A Welshman, for example, is more likely to let a criticism of the Welsh team slide when coming from another Welshman, than from an Englishman. When Moore criticises Wales, you can argue he's biased, which you wouldn't be able to do with Jonathan Davies, even if it's the same piece of criticism. I feel that Moore sidesteps this quite well by choosing his battles with his criticism of other nations. He gets animated when criticising the state of the game and England, but his criticism of other nations is quite tempered IMO. Similarly, when England play well, I feel he tempers any positive feelings quite well. You rarely hear him get excited tbh. And for the most part, I think most non-Englishmen quite respect him for that.

Every commentator is somewhat biased. Even if not from a nation playing, everyone has their own preferences. (I prefer Wales to France for instance.) But I feel that Moore is quite good at keeping those emotions in check.

FWIW, I really like Butler as well, mainly cuz I think he has a great voice for main commentator. Butler/Moore dream team.

I find it funny that pretty much every ex player BT sports has on its roster is doing the 6N's with ITV.

But Healey.

I find it funny that pretty much every ex player BT sports has on its roster is doing the 6N's with ITV.

But Healey.

must be some kind of deal. i quite like some of the BT sport commentators though. Eddie does have a great voice but even welsh fans are fed up of those montages now -_-. building up to the six nations is fair enough but not before every bloody game!. i dont doubt moore is a good commentator i just feel he comes across too opinionated although its hard to hide if your really passionate about your nation i suppose

I like Moore, he doesn't lick the arses of the English like Butler does for Wales or Nicol does for Scotland. Infact he is one of Englands biggest critics at times. I can't stand Butler because the poetry he does is so unbelievably cringeworthy (remember talking about Norths thighs!?) and he always looks for the worst interpretation in an England game. Letter of the law in favour of England? Argue in favour of interpretation. Interpretation in favour of England? Talks about the letter of the law. Other team get away with something? Oh well that happens. England get away with something? Well the ref needs to be more careful and look out for that. I don't think there is malice or anything but just an underlying desire to see England fail in all Butler talks about that has seriously put me off him.

Jiffy is annoying too, squeeking "numbers!" all the time. Nicol is the most partisan Scot there is. I seem to remember when we were tearing Scotland a new one 2 years ago, he was saying Scotland were playing well. It was the same level of cringiness as the English pundits in our world cup games.

I like Eddie Butler. I find Stuart Barnes, complaining all....the.....time.... it's beyond annoying.

I like Moore, he doesn't lick the arses of the English like Butler does for Wales or Nicol does for Scotland. Infact he is one of Englands biggest critics at times. I can't stand Butler because the poetry he does is so unbelievably cringeworthy (remember talking about Norths thighs!?) and he always looks for the worst interpretation in an England game. Letter of the law in favour of England? Argue in favour of interpretation. Interpretation in favour of England? Talks about the letter of the law. Other team get away with something? Oh well that happens. England get away with something? Well the ref needs to be more careful and look out for that. I don't think there is malice or anything but just an underlying desire to see England fail in all Butler talks about that has seriously put me off him.

Jiffy is annoying too, squeeking "numbers!" all the time. Nicol is the most partisan Scot there is. I seem to remember when we were tearing Scotland a new one 2 years ago, he was saying Scotland were playing well. It was the same level of cringiness as the English pundits in our world cup games.

Tbh ive not really noticed! probably cause id automatically agree with what he is saying. perhaps its my own bias thats clouding my judgement and ive got it all wrong :p haha. as for Jiffy i can see why people wouldnt like him but i find him hillarious

I personally quite like Butler and Jiffy. I'm fully aware that it helps that i'm welsh. Some of Butler's montages are a little cringe worthy, but I usually find it more enjoyable than another few minutes of random talking + at least some time and effort has gone into their making.

I mainly like Jiffy because he's so knowledgeable about backline play. He sometimes doesn't articulate it very well in the heat of the moment, but there we go. His analysis during replays is always top notch though. Would probably make an excellent attack coach, but he's probably making far too much money commentating for BBC and S4C on union and league + his chap show etc.

I like most of them to be fair, wish they would lose Inverdale though, blokes a bit dull and Wood can be a pain too, remember him trying to justify Healy's stamp on Cole's ankle

I like most of them to be fair, wish they would lose Inverdale though, blokes a bit dull and Wood can be a pain too, remember him trying to justify Healy's stamp on Cole's ankle

Brian Moore's reaction to that was priceless though...

What annoys me about Eddie Butler is his exaggerated French pronunciation - maybe he does it on purpose!

Latest posts