• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Why Isn't Rugby More Popular In the States?

yeah american football is so whack how it stops every 10 seconds.. what da heck? no wonder their all going obese!
[/b]

:):):)

i didn't understand everything (your slang is weird) but you're right its crap stopping every 10 sec !!! and they don't need playin football to get obese ... most of the time they just watch it :)

sorry about the slang, i meant it's boring.
i remember this Moro (it's a chocolate bar) t.v. commercial a couple of years ago that summed it up pretty well. american football is "all stop" and rugby is "all go!"

the game of basketball was also derived from rugby.....i think that alot of americans are xenophobic... if its not theirs, its not good...thats why if u dont wear kevlar and run around like headless chickens, play without intelligence and throw forward passes( pigs! no challenge in that), you are not accepted!

and the skill requested to play rugby or soccer is much bigger than US sports !!! :) that's why they become fat ... nothing to do on the field !!!
seriously i hate basket ball. its really a **** sport. when you just touch the opponent its a foul. that's **** ... baseball is ok but football is really crap. i like ice hockey but i think you don't have many teams down there do you ?
anyway americans are just **** in other collectiv sports than theirs and just hate loosing in there own sports ... like loosing in semi of basket wc and 1/4 in olympic ice hockey tournament !!! was just quite fun, especially with basket ball where they are supposed to be the best in the world. :)

We get ESPN on DSTV and I've watched alot of american football games.

I really don't get it, in the movies it actually looks pretty cool and a hell of a lot faster than it is in real life. But the cowboys game I watched was just plain silly.

They really do stop every minute or so, infact on the scoreboard there was less then 2 minutes left, yet it took allmost 10 to 15 minutes to end because of the stoppages.

Compared to the fast paced, running game of rugby which tends to stop as little as possible, this was one big bore.

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
Compared to rugby, American football, like every other sport in America that they love so much, is largely over-rated and there is actually so little playing time involved.

American football bored me to tears, and the ONLY way to make it watchable is to hype the damn thing up so much.

Player intelligence on their football is also severely questioned. Michael Vick is a really good player because he runs with the football occassionally, WOOT?

They can't multi-task for the life of them. They can only follow what the coach says. Defensive team, Offensive team, special team... how many people actually plays this game?

Over-hyped. Terrell Owens typifies the American football player.
[/b]
Shows what you know about Football, only 13 year old noobs who only watch ESPN and played Madden 2004 think Vick is a good player.
[/b][/quote]

Right, but once you become a 17 year old noob who only watches ESPN and plays Madden 2007 you stop thinking that? :p
[/b][/quote]
Vick ain't so super duper unstoppable like he is on Madden 2004 these days, he's just fast, and ESPN is the work of Satan.

exactly! the games are too bloody long, can u imagine going to one of them live? when i used to follow american football i only use to watch highlights and then watch the superbowl.
i guess they only like to play sports they know their the best in. like how many other countries play their sports? apart basketball which is pretty international. american football is starting to show up here but only wannabes and losers play it over here, which i guess is the same vice versa in the U.S.

i think the only US sport worth watching is ice hockey ... but you SH ppl down there don't have much snow and then don't have this sport in your traditions ... but its quite funny and as tough as rugby (well casi)... but i'll repeat myself, basket ball is a **** sport !!! :)

Playing rugby is just too difficult for Americans... think about it, in NFL there's a team for offence, defence, kickoffs, special moves etc etc blah blah blah, the players can't handle more than one role because they all have A.D.D. :D :p .
Seriously though, the yanks would be bloody good at the game if it was big there, but they're too into their NFL and all the commercials that make the game such a brilliant specticle :p

Americans don't like rugby cause your not allowed to use steroids! :)
[/b]

:):):) lol

btw what is ADD ?
i don't think they could be good at rugby ... too colectiv for them !!!

A.D.D is attention deficit disorder. If you have that you can't really concentrate on one single thing at a time.

Playing rugby is just too difficult for Americans... think about it, in NFL there's a team for offence, defence, kickoffs, special moves etc etc blah blah blah, the players can't handle more than one role because they all have A.D.D. :D :p .
Seriously though, the yanks would be bloody good at the game if it was big there, but they're too into their NFL and all the commercials that make the game such a brilliant specticle :p
[/b]

Don't forget about them needed a 3 minute break after each 5 second passage of play.

How you can have a ball game where 75% of the team don't touch the ball is beyond me.

SB

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

Don't forget about them needed a 3 minute break after each 5 second passage of play.

How you can have a ball game where 75% of the team don't touch the ball is beyond me.

SB
[/b][/quote]
That's what's great about Rugby...I never in all my years playing football got to touch the ball...save two times where I picked up a fumble and ran for 5-6 yards (highlights in my mind).
I think Rugby would be huge here, but people are really closed to anything not from America...especially now (this topic could lead back to the World Debate Team thread now).

That's what's great about Rugby...I never in all my years playing football got to touch the ball...save two times where I picked up a fumble and ran for 5-6 yards (highlights in my mind).
I think Rugby would be huge here, but people are really closed to anything not from America...especially now (this topic could lead back to the World Debate Team thread now).
[/b]

If you outlawed the forward pass do you think the game would flow more...or would it just be short running play after short running play.

baseball is ok too but wut is up with the "world series"??? it's not like it's a world cup, how many other countries play for it?
[/b]
The World Series is called that because back in the 19th century it was envisaged that the champions of Britain and Australia would play the American champions for the right to become the best team in the world. That never came to fruiton yet the name stuck.

Another school of thought says that the World Series is so called because it was at one stage sponsored by the New York World newspaper.

It seems crass that they call the champs of MLB, the world champs yet it does have some (small) basis in reality.

<div class='quotemain'>baseball is ok too but wut is up with the "world series"??? it's not like it's a world cup, how many other countries play for it?
[/b]
The World Series is called that because back in the 19th century it was envisaged that the champions of Britain and Australia would play the American champions for the right to become the best team in the world. That never came to fruiton yet the name stuck.

Another school of thought says that the World Series is so called because it was at one stage sponsored by the New York World newspaper.

It seems crass that they call the champs of MLB, the world champs yet it does have some (small) basis in reality.
[/b][/quote]

Well not really... The thing is, baseball is actually pretty big in parts of Asia and other areas too, so if they're gonna have a 'world series' it should be a knockout comp with the top teams of all the major comps in the world.

haha
i love all the USA bashing

retards :p
[/b]

LETS GO LYNCH A YANK! I'LL GET THE PITCHFORKS! :bana:

Aaaanyway, the main problem an Amerian footballer would have would be endurance and durability. Get a 350-400lb big hitter from the NFL and yes, indeed, he would be able to blow away a prop or a number 8 for the first time.

But because they don't train for the constant grind and wear of two 40 minute sessions, after about 10 or so tackles or attempted tackles, the NFL player would simply be worn down to the point of exhaustion.

Alot of the big hitters use steriods. Bob Sap was a notorious offender on that respect and it shows. He "fights" in Japan's K1 fighting league but he only lasts roughly a round because he's all steroids in his 350lb frame and no muscle or endurance.

EDIT: Also Baseball is HUGE in Japan. I think the Tokyo Dome (home of the Yumuri Giants) is like just as big (if not bigger) than any American Baseball stadia, even bigger than the Stadium the Yankees have. Some of the Stadia built for the soccer world cup are used as Baseball grounds too.

Latest posts