• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Why Isn't Rugby More Popular In the States?

If you outlawed the forward pass do you think the game would flow more...or would it just be short running play after short running play.
[/b]
It would be crap. 2-3 yard gains, then reset all over again. It would be hell on the runners and the linemen.

<div class='quotemain'>
haha
i love all the USA bashing

retards :p
[/b]
Aaaanyway, the main problem an Amerian footballer would have would be endurance and durability. Get a 350-400lb big hitter from the NFL and yes, indeed, he would be able to blow away a prop or a number 8 for the first time.

But because they don't train for the constant grind and wear of two 40 minute sessions, after about 10 or so tackles or attempted tackles, the NFL player would simply be worn down to the point of exhaustion.
[/b][/quote]
EXACTLY. Training for American Football, is way different then training for Rugby...especially when the linemen are considered. I played defensive line (nosegaurd and defensive tackle) all through HS and College, and when I started playing rugby I was nowhere close to being in shape for it. In our Football, they encourage us (linemen) to be big, as big as possible and quick...but the quickness and agility is only limited to 5 yards at a time. So we burst, then reset. It's the constant breaking versus the continual motion of rugby, that really sets the sports apart.
Our football makes for great commercialization. Why do none of our teams have sponsors on the kit? Because we have a million commercial breaks and a 15+ minute halftime. American Football was designed for spectators. The evolution from Rugby was purely aimed at drawing crowds and selling tickets.
Americans now suck at baseball and basketball though...we're swamped with foreigners in our leagues (I'm not complaining, just being factual). Football is the last bastion of American Sport, that no one else wants.

Latest posts