• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Why North American play Football US?and not rugby?

its growing like crazy at high school level, but the youth development is just not there

because over here the perception for many parents is

"its football without pads!"

so most parents fearing their children getting hurt will not let them play

Originally posted by DC13+Feb 8 2006, 08:59 AM-->
Originally posted by Boltman@Feb 7 2006, 02:29 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-DC13
@Feb 7 2006, 01:13 PM
thats why college is better than nfl

an tarbh if you get a chance ever.. watch a college football game, there so much better the emotions are so much higher..

and of course watch my favorite school OHIO STATE!

Do not watch the Bucknuts. Watch USC or Southern Cal. Thats a team that always has NFL type talent, the Buckeyes have Ginn, but they do not utilize him properly.
next year when ohio state is number one... you may think different?

osu at texas next year in september, i cannot wait!

and by the way osu has equal or if not more nfl talent players than usc

look after the 2002 nat'l champ game

and this year we have carpetner,schlegel,hawk,whitner,salley,youboty,huston,sims,mangold...thats 8 right there, plus ohio state has the best fans.. [/b]
The Bucknuts recent Draftee's are not even fit to be compared to the likes of Auburn, Miami (Florida) and Oklahoma, let alone USC. And the Bucknuts fans aren't anything to brag about, there are plenty of other programs which have fans which are just as rabid, if not more then OSU.

Originally posted by Ripper+Feb 8 2006, 01:08 PM-->
Originally posted by DC13@Feb 8 2006, 08:59 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-DC13

an tarbh if you get a chance ever.. watch a college football game, there so much better the emotions are so much higher..

Do not watch the Bucknuts. Watch USC or Southern Cal. Thats a team that always has NFL type talent, the Buckeyes have Ginn, but they do not utilize him properly.

and this year we have carpetner,schlegel,hawk,whitner,salley,youboty,huston,sims,mangold...thats 8 right there, plus ohio state has the best fans..
The Bucknuts recent Draftee's are not even fit to be compared to the likes of Auburn, Miami (Florida) and Oklahoma, let alone USC. And the Bucknuts fans aren't anything to brag about, there are plenty of other programs which have fans which are just as rabid, if not more then OSU. [/b]
i dont know about the fans.. 100,000+ thousand each game

also not to mention our intense hatried of michigan

and its the 3rd toughest place to play rated by scout.com :D

auburn doesnt have at least 8

miami florida maybe has 5

usc is up there with about 10-15

oklahoma hasnt had anyone that good since the year of ther nat'l championship

Originally posted by ALLBLACKS@Feb 8 2006, 04:38 AM
NFL players have bad endurance and stamina, They cant run 100 yards at really good speed, They start to slow down like all, But its really noticeable, LIke that interception during the super bowl, HABANA would have ran that one straight in.
Da' thing is, if we had our NFL guys guys playing in Rugby Union (15 on 15), we would own the world. you can say "no way" and what not, but if we had our best American Athletes playin the gane I love we would own it, just look and read at their weight & speed = to yer' power & pace. :D

I feel sad it never caught on here, but if these guys that make Millions per year all collectively played Rugg, we could instantly be a powerhouse.

Will never happen sad to say. :ranting:

Originally posted by DC13+Feb 8 2006, 07:59 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-DC13

and this year we have carpetner,schlegel,hawk,whitner,salley,youboty,huston,sims,mangold...thats 8 right there, plus ohio state has the best fans.. [/b]
LOL Homer, BuckNuts will not touch SC in tearms of talent. Sorry, but I do agree they will be better, but no way in hell thay are near SC.

Originally posted by Ripper+Feb 8 2006, 01:08 PM-->
Originally posted by DC13@Feb 8 2006, 08:59 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-DC13

and this year we have carpetner,schlegel,hawk,whitner,salley,youboty,huston,sims,mangold...thats 8 right there, plus ohio state has the best fans..
The Bucknuts recent Draftee's are not even fit to be compared to the likes of Auburn, Miami (Florida) and Oklahoma, let alone USC. And the Bucknuts fans aren't anything to brag about, there are plenty of other programs which have fans which are just as rabid, if not more then OSU. [/b]
:bravo:

Exactly my point. :D

Originally posted by asmonaco64@Feb 7 2006, 09:08 AM
North America and Canada are the ones(only) to play Foot US.
It's will be better than all countries play with the same sport!
Rugby for everybody.
A nation like United States miss to Rugby because United States is the country the more important in the world.

Otherwise, do you know if Germany, Netherlands, Sweden, Canada, Africa, Russia...play Rugby, thanks.
Full listing of international Teams (and other stuff) can be found at:

http://www.irb.com/

Look at the World rankings to which countires are playing.
Current rankings are 1st NZ, 2nd SA (the universe is in balance), 3rd England (the universe is not in balance).

Originally posted by Dumbo+Feb 8 2006, 03:08 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-asmonaco64
@Feb 7 2006, 09:08 AM
North America and Canada are the ones(only) to play Foot US.
It's will be better than all countries play with  the same sport!
Rugby for everybody.
A nation like United States miss to Rugby because United States is the country the more important in the world.

Otherwise, do you know if Germany, Netherlands, Sweden, Canada, Africa, Russia...play Rugby, thanks.
Full listing of international Teams (and other stuff) can be found at:

http://www.irb.com/

Look at the World rankings to which countires are playing.
Current rankings are 1st NZ, 2nd SA (the universe is in balance), 3rd England (the universe is not in balance). [/b]

http://www.irb.com/WR/
IRB

USA is 13th out of 95?

I would argue that, that is not too bad considering it is not in our top 5 sports played here.

As I stated earlier, if we had our NFL guys investing as much time into Rugby as they do currently with the NFL, we would own the world, we would become the new All Blacks in terms of dominance.

Dont get me worng, I love my All Blacks and I would still root for them over a USA National team with NFL'ers. But if they got that good over time, and started to dominate, I just might make the switch over. :D

Originally posted by Boltman@Feb 8 2006, 02:36 PM

Da' thing is, if we had our NFL guys guys playing in Rugby Union (15 on 15), we would own the world. you can say "no way" and what not, but if we had our best American Athletes playin the gane I love we would own it, just look and read at their weight & speed = to yer' power & pace. :D

not really...the fact that union players are multi talented in kicking,passing and tackling is the difference..where is you could front up right now with the 15 athletes and put them againts a super14 team and they would get thrashed..

the finesse and fitness levels of pro-union players are better then nfl players...size,strength,speed ya can have that in abundance but without fitness of 70minutes running on a rugby field(other ten standing about for lineouts n scrums)...u would fall over and not be able to function your power..i admit the drugs make nfl players look impressive :p :lol: ..but the actions,mentality,discipline of union players outweigh your skills...

take the pads off nfl players and that vulnerability of gettin anothers padless shoulder to your chest will install that factor...of fear

its true...at grid iron trainings we were forced to throw each other round at the call of dont worry..hes padded..thats what its for its for protection..so just go and smash him...

gridiron is explosiveness..rugby is durability

durability(long periods of resistance,continual play) > explosiveness (2seconds..and rest)

the average NFL player wouldnt play more than 5-10 minutes of actual game time a week

athletes .... :lol:

FatFootball.jpg

Originally posted by asmonaco64@Feb 7 2006, 09:00 AM
Hello i'm french.
I have a question.
Yesterday i have watched the superbowl(Foot US) and me i don't like Football US.
Before north american play rugby.
For me Foot US is not interesting.
I would like to know if american play rugby?
Do they like rugby?it is popular?
Rugby in north america expand?, growing?
Do you think that Rugby will be more popular than Foot US?

Thanks to answer me.

Stéphane de Pau(south west of France near Biarritz).
Speak English you *******!

hey come on now..you dont want me to put my "Foot US" in your mouth do you?...

good boy wally

..now..Sit!!..

GUD BOYYYYYY

Originally posted by The TRUTH!!@Feb 9 2006, 10:16 PM
the average NFL player wouldnt play more than 5-10 minutes of actual game time a week

FatFootball.jpg
Thats no NFL pic LOL, thats some scrubby home made guys beer league, I remember seeing that pic before.

There are a TON of NFL Athletes that could play in an entire Rugby match, you want names?

An average player in the NFL, was not even a regular starter.

Greg Jones
Position: FB
Height: 6-1
Weight: 250
Born: 04/04/1981
College: Florida State
NFL Experience: 2

Greg_Jones_2.jpg

A Solid RB with good speed (remember I'm not even putting in the top guys, just showing average examples).

Michael Pittman
Position: RB
Height: 6-0
Weight: 228
Born: 08/14/1975
College: Fresno State
NFL Experience: 8

Michael_Pittman.jpg

There are tons of guys like this in the NFL that if they trained just only for Rugby Union, they could be a force on the pitch.

But of course over here our youth play little league or pony league or pop warner. They are groomed for only the sports that are huge here. Not Rugby (although I wish, I'd have my son playing that instead of pop warner big time right now).

You guys do not need to get defensive saying our NFL guys are all out of shape and wouldnt hang. They are just groomed for another sports is all I'm saying. If suddenly they were all able to go out and make the millions and millions and Rugby was hugely popular here in the US then you would see these studs playing Rugby not NFL.

I'm not arguing or anything of the sort, I was merely stating that IF it were the case we would (in that scenario) be a Rugby power house. Yes we all know it is not going to happen, I was jsut saying if.

Dont forget, I am an All Black fan, but I obviously love my Bolts as well. Just wish I could get an equal amount of both here. It's lopsided on the Gridiron side here.

Champ Bailey would be pretty good in rugby :p Lightning fast and a good tackler. Wing anybody?

Originally posted by Muse_Cubed@Feb 10 2006, 08:17 AM
Champ Bailey would be pretty good in rugby :p Lightning fast and a good tackler. Wing anybody?
Yes Champ would! Just the point I am trying to make, that's all. Not saying we are better or anything, of course NZ would clobber us (as I hope they do this weekend when I go see them at the USA IRB 7's at the Home Depot center!).

My point was originally that if these guys had the incentives they needed to play Rugby union, eventually we would be a power house.

Originally posted by The TRUTH!!@Feb 9 2006, 10:16 PM

FatFootball.jpg
No one told me Matt Dunning was switching codes???

let me tell u

these big ass blokes, like condoms filled with walnuts, have no stamina

think about it

the 100m - they are all massive
the 1500 - they are all skinny

do the math

ones heart, cannot pump enough blood for these huge blokes for continous exercise...............hence all the deaths in the NFL.........what is it now.....2 deaths from 2 years..............and they dont conitnuously play for 80mins like a rugby game...

why arent soccer players big
why arent endurance sports stars big

why dont we all go and pump iron, to look like these machines........coz it doesnt work in all sports...

Boxers dont even get that big.....fitness comes into play...........Tyson would have to be a big muscle tone boxer when he was in his prime....in his prime he couldnt last past 5 rounds.........he didnt need to.....but if he did he would have had a heart attack or just die...like McBride did to him, when it went to an endurance bout....granted he was old by then, but still

This #32 nugget would NOT make in impact in rugby after 10mins...in fact, he'd be chasing all day......and would take forever to get up....coz he'd have no air in his lungs, and his heart would be racing like a thoroughbred

Originally posted by ak47@Feb 10 2006, 01:44 PM
let me tell u

these big ass blokes, like condoms filled with walnuts, have no stamina

think about it

the 100m - they are all massive
the 1500 - they are all skinny

do the math

ones heart, cannot pump enough blood for these huge blokes for continous exercise...............hence all the deaths in the NFL.........what is it now.....2 deaths from 2 years..............and they dont conitnuously play for 80mins like a rugby game...

why arent soccer players big
why arent endurance sports stars big

why dont we all go and pump iron, to look like these machines........coz it doesnt work in all sports...

Boxers dont even get that big.....fitness comes into play...........Tyson would have to be a big muscle tone boxer when he was in his prime....in his prime he couldnt last past 5 rounds.........he didnt need to.....but if he did he would have had a heart attack or just die...like McBride did to him, when it went to an endurance bout....granted he was old by then, but still

This #32 nugget would NOT make in impact in rugby after 10mins...in fact, he'd be chasing all day......and would take forever to get up....coz he'd have no air in his lungs, and his heart would be racing like a thoroughbred
Where are you from Mr. Klashinov named weapon?

I really did not understand one word you said (no doubt due to culture difference) but I do not knock you for it, infact it is just as much my fault.

If you are saying that there are no american born players in the NFL currently that have no stamina to play Rugby, then you my good mate....are sadly wrong.

There are a ton, but I already stated my reasons as to why they are not playing our great game of Rugby. They would own & clobber the other nations, but they were born and bread for Gridiron.

Originally posted by ak47@Feb 10 2006, 01:44 PM

Hmm, did you read up on this "#32 Nugget" LOL, look at his track record, he would be one of the best wingers / Centres / Fullbacks ever of all time, if he was trained his whole life to play Friggin Rugby (thats my point, he was born and raised to play gridiron, not Rugging). You just will not get/accept it, this was an "IF" scenario for me. Nothing more....nothing less.

Latest posts