• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Why North American play Football US?and not rugby?

"There are a ton, but I already stated my reasons as to why they are not playing our great game of Rugby. They would own & clobber the other nations, but they were born and bread for Gridiron. "

Wooow, big call. No doubt it would be interesting to see the American Super Dollar could do in the sport of Rugby... what AK47 is pointing out is that in rugby you generally play for 80 minutes with bugger all breaks so therefore a differant fitness is required than in American football.

As for clobbering us, nah.

Originally posted by Dumbo@Feb 10 2006, 02:21 PM
"There are a ton, but I already stated my reasons as to why they are not playing our great game of Rugby. They would own & clobber the other nations, but they were born and bread for Gridiron. "

Wooow, big call. No doubt it would be interesting to see the American Super Dollar could do in the sport of Rugby... what AK47 is pointing out is that in rugby you generally play for 80 minutes with bugger all breaks so therefore a differant fitness is required than in American football.

Remember what I am saying, your pride is talking. Born and Bred, yea we would own.

you saying "nah" to us clobbering you all, I say "yea" we would, it is never going to be found out. Due to us never getting big in this arena, the US's sports big games are Gridiron, Basketball, & Hockey, Soccer or "Footy" going in fourth.

This is entirely a "coulda, woulda scenario" nothing more, it is all conjecture, I say we "would" own, you say nay.

NP, It's all a matter of opinion, which is always going to be "I'm right and your'e not!!"

*sigh* :rolleyes:

Fair... currently the states are ranked 13th in world, with that much competition in the states over sports maybe it's a good thing you guy's stick to Grid Iron (and Basketball and...).

Originally posted by Boltman@Feb 10 2006, 01:48 PM

you saying "nah" to us clobbering you all, I say "yea" we would, it is never going to be found out. Due to us never getting big in this arena, the US's sports big games are Gridiron, Basketball, & Hockey, Soccer or "Footy" going in fourth.

This is entirely a "coulda, woulda scenario" nothing more, it is all conjecture, I say we "would" own, you say nay.

NP, It's all a matter of opinion, which is always going to be "I'm right and your'e not!!"

*sigh* :rolleyes:
I agree with you that the US would be consistently a top 4 nation if they put as much energy into rugby as they do to their other sports, but it's not as easy as just having the money and the numbers... a fact that England continue to prove year in and year out. NZ has one 6th of the player numbers that England boasts and a fraction of the funding, but look at which team has been the most dominant internationally and NZ clearly comes out ontop (disregarding the RWC which they always seem to choke in)... so yeah, you'd be a major force, but there is more to it than just dollars and player numbers.

Yeah with all that money and people... they'd probably give us the same clobbering they gave the Vietnamese.

Originally posted by Boltman+Feb 10 2006, 03:48 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Dumbo
@Feb 10 2006, 02:21 PM

Remember what I am saying, your pride is talking. Born and Bred, yea we would own.

*sigh* :rolleyes: [/b]
I think you forget Baseball in your list so I guess Football is fifth then.

Just an interesting fact, USA are the current Olympic Champions of Rugby. They won the gold in 1924 and again in 1928 (the year rugby was pulled from the list).

Damn I'd love to see 7's at the Olympics - oh well Comm games will have to do.

Originally posted by Dumbo@Feb 10 2006, 03:19 PM
Yeah with all that money and people... they'd probably give us the same clobbering they gave the Vietnamese.
Your poster name explains your resort to childish insults. Dumbo

I am trying to have rational discussion on the matter, and resort to that shite? You are an idiot. If you cant be reasonable, then dont add to the thread. I have not insulted any nations, I even went as far as to say that I am an All Blacks fan.

So please, just STFU.

Originally posted by Jacko@Feb 10 2006, 07:27 PM
Just an interesting fact, USA are the current Olympic Champions of Rugby. They won the gold in 1924 and again in 1928 (the year rugby was pulled from the list).

Damn I'd love to see 7's at the Olympics - oh well Comm games will have to do.
Hell yea! That would be awesome indeed! I am going to love watching the sevens this weekend here in L.A.! Go All Blacks!!

I loved them winning it all last year here, and hope they take it again tomorrow & Sun.

First off, goddamnit, we won the olympics in 1920 & 1924.

Second, Boltman, one world cup trophy in 20 years does not make a team dominant. f*** the All Blacks. Shame on you for supporting them.

Third, if we had our jail house, rough and ready NFL players geared up to playing rugby - Boltman is spot on. We would own. But it's neither here nor there because we won't know until rugby becomes a way of making a living here.

Fourth, I'm praying for an Argentinian victory this weekend at the 7's. Two years ago it was most wonderful. I'd love to see the US at the very least hold their own but . . .

Originally posted by captainamerica@Feb 11 2006, 06:22 AM

Second, Boltman, one world cup trophy in 20 years does not make a team dominant.  f*** the All Blacks.  Shame on you for supporting them.

Third, if we had our jail house, rough and ready NFL players geared up to playing rugby - Boltman is spot on.  We would own.  But it's neither here nor there because we won't know until rugby becomes a way of making a living here.

Fourth, I'm praying for an Argentinian victory this weekend at the 7's.  Two years ago it was most wonderful.  I'd love to see the US at the very least hold their own but . . .
Hey C.A...I saw the US sevens team at the airport same time I was flying in.....they do ok in the sevens....but then so does PNG lol!

Thank God and the guy who invented Gridiron! Because of him NZ rugby will continue to stay at the top, especially from 2007 onwards lol! Also a big ups to the Dally guy in Aus and whoever it is that invented the AFL there.....we love you guys! :bravo:

Yes the sleeping giants of the world (States, China, Eastern Europe, Africa) will catch up with rugby I believe...maybe in 150 plus years.......but by then NZ would have built up enough of that one resource we REALLY need to stay at the top.....more PEOPLE....I would calculate that NZ needs probably 60 million people plus to forever be THE rugby world power......30 million to be near the top......that is if we are to compete with the Super countries IF they throw their hat in the ring.......which gracefully for us now.....they aren't lol!...and while they procrastinate....we will slowly build our population and survive at the top by being passionate and giving carrots to the natural talent of surrounding Polynesia lol! (thank you thank you Islanders lol!)

But the accessibility of rugby will determine that it will grow as a world sport......behind the most accessible sport in the world...soccer....world growth is by accessibilty first....sory USA....but you chose to dominate in complicated sports....too much money eh? :lol: You should have checked out what everyone else was doing and that the majority of the world does not have your wealth B)

Long live the NFL, NRL, AFL! :unsure:

Originally posted by captainamerica@Feb 11 2006, 06:22 AM

Second, Boltman, one world cup trophy in 20 years does not make a team dominant. f*** the All Blacks. Shame on you for supporting them.

Third, if we had our jail house, rough and ready NFL players geared up to playing rugby - Boltman is spot on. We would own. But it's neither here nor there because we won't know until rugby becomes a way of making a living here.

Fourth, I'm praying for an Argentinian victory this weekend at the 7's. Two years ago it was most wonderful. I'd love to see the US at the very least hold their own but . . .
Lol!! I love ya' Cap. You got me laughing so damn loud I swear. I agree with all you say though.

I've gone each year since they started it up on 04, Argentina won it then, shocking the All Blacks. I went to last years and saw the All Blacks take it all.

I am so happy to be taking my son again this weekend, wwe will be there both days, I'm pumped for it!!

Cap you got sattelite? I know it will be playing (the USA / IRB 7's) on Setanta here on my DirecTV, channel 615.

gayguy - i think we will forever remain a sleeping giant of world rugby.

unless we wake up. but i think when that happens, new zealand will have the technology to build a new island that will actually be capable of holding the world cup tournament.

bolts - only satellite i've got is sirius. i'm in los angeles and went to la 7's (just the saturday) two years ago an argentina were fantastic. read about their final. might be going to sunday's games this weekend, we'll see how things pan out. how old is your son? i can imagine he'll get a kick out of the atmosphere.

Originally posted by captainamerica@Feb 11 2006, 07:32 AM
gayguy - i think we will forever remain a sleeping giant of world rugby.

unless we wake up. but i think when that happens, new zealand will have the technology to build a new island that will actually be capable of holding the world cup tournament.

bolts - only satellite i've got is sirius. i'm in los angeles and went to la 7's (just the saturday) two years ago an argentina were fantastic. read about their final. might be going to sunday's games this weekend, we'll see how things pan out. how old is your son? i can imagine he'll get a kick out of the atmosphere.
Yea he got a kick out of it last year. He is 12, he has pretty much just played little league/pony league Baseball since 5, and he plays Pop Warner Football as well.

Me and a few coaches I've met through the years are trying to get a lil' club thing going for the kids here in the San Fernando Valley.

Damn, I need Sirius, I've only been getting Stern through the internet, and its a hassle to DL his daily shows.

You need to get DirecTV, and add the Setanta channel, right now they are showing Super 14, but it's all Rugby mostly.

very cool. is he showing any interest in playing rugby? maybe in a couple years, highschool level (are there any highschool teams in the valley?)

good luck with starting a young'uns club. that'd be tremendous. i'm vaguely familiar with SFV RFC, and i love the springbok bar on victory (might try to get there tomorrow to watch the tape delays of the 6 nations).

i'm hardly ever home to warrant direct tv, but in my car with the portable sirius. i can't recommend it high enough. oh man. stern show is just brilliant now.

Originally posted by captainamerica@Feb 11 2006, 08:55 AM
very cool. is he showing any interest in playing rugby? maybe in a couple years, highschool level (are there any highschool teams in the valley?)

good luck with starting a young'uns club. that'd be tremendous. i'm vaguely familiar with SFV RFC, and i love the springbok bar on victory (might try to get there tomorrow to watch the tape delays of the 6 nations).

i'm hardly ever home to warrant direct tv, but in my car with the portable sirius. i can't recommend it high enough. oh man. stern show is just brilliant now.
There are a ton but none of them offer Rugby as a school sport....(yet, hehe).

He is showing huge interest, he takes on new sport challenges like the lil' beast he is! Yea I watch SFV RFC, they play alot near me. I love that Springbok bar on Victory!! I'll be at the 7's all Sat, and half Sun (Have work Mon morn) So I will be at that bar Sun late Noon.

:D

Originally posted by Boltman+Feb 11 2006, 09:57 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-captainamerica
@Feb 11 2006, 08:55 AM
very cool.  is he showing any interest in playing rugby?  maybe in a couple years, highschool level (are there any highschool teams in the valley?)

good luck with starting a young'uns club.  that'd be tremendous.  i'm vaguely familiar with SFV RFC, and i love the springbok bar on victory (might try to get there tomorrow to watch the tape delays of the 6 nations).

i'm hardly ever home to warrant direct tv, but in my car with the portable sirius.  i can't recommend it high enough.  oh man.  stern show is just brilliant now.

He is showing huge interest, he takes on new sport challenges like the lil' beast he is! Yea I watch SFV RFC, they play alot near me. I love that Springbok bar on Victory!! I'll be at the 7's all Sat, and half Sun (Have work Mon morn) So I will be at that bar Sun late Noon.

:D [/b]
I think that's how it still is in Missouri (where I grew up). Lot of highschool rugby teams though not directly sponsored by the school. Similar to hockey - they were clubs that were allowed to use the school name.

not sure what my weekend will entail, but have a nice one yourself!

Originally posted by captainamerica+Feb 11 2006, 12:24 PM-->
Originally posted by Boltman@Feb 11 2006, 09:57 AM
@Feb 11 2006, 08:55 AM
very cool.  is he showing any interest in playing rugby?  maybe in a couple years, highschool level (are there any highschool teams in the valley?)

good luck with starting a young'uns club.  that'd be tremendous.  i'm vaguely familiar with SFV RFC, and i love the springbok bar on victory (might try to get there tomorrow to watch the tape delays of the 6 nations).

i'm hardly ever home to warrant direct tv, but in my car with the portable sirius.  i can't recommend it high enough.  oh man.  stern show is just brilliant now.

:D
I think that's how it still is in Missouri (where I grew up). Lot of highschool rugby teams though not directly sponsored by the school. Similar to hockey - they were clubs that were allowed to use the school name.

not sure what my weekend will entail, but have a nice one yourself! [/b]
No Doubt!!

yourself as well. :D

Should you ever go to that one on Vic near me, send me a post. I'll treat you to lunch.

Originally posted by captainamerica@Feb 11 2006, 05:22 AM

Second, Boltman, one world cup trophy in 20 years does not make a team dominant.  f*** the All Blacks.  Shame on you for supporting them.
Yeah, they always choke at WC time, but they are without a doubt the most consistent team in terms of match by match victories... and as I said they have but a fraction of the player pool and funding that England do, who seem only to be able to perform well in spurts. And then of course you have us Aussies :D, we to have roughly the same number of players as the kiwi's (so not many) and far less playing at the elite level, but we managed to get so successful that after winning our SECOND world cup (the only country to have more than one :p ) we went on to win every other trophy that we were contesting, on the way beating the British and Irish Lions (whom at the time were claimed to be the best squad in their history!). All this in a country in which rugby ranks 4th behind Cricket, AFL and Rugby League. Can you imagine how dammed freakish we'd be if we had no AFL or League?? :p

Originally posted by sanzar+Feb 11 2006, 12:45 PM-->
@Feb 11 2006, 05:22 AM

Yeah, they always choke at WC time, but they are without a doubt the most consistent team in terms of match by match victories... and as I said they have but a fraction of the player pool and funding that England do, who seem only to be able to perform well in spurts. And then of course you have us Aussies :D, we to have roughly the same number of players as the kiwi's (so not many) and far less playing at the elite level, but we managed to get so successful that after winning our SECOND world cup (the only country to have more than one :p ) we went on to win every other trophy that we were contesting, on the way beating the British and Irish Lions (whom at the time were claimed to be the best squad in their history!). All this in a country in which rugby ranks 4th behind Cricket, AFL and Rugby League. Can you imagine how dammed freakish we'd be if we had no AFL or League?? :p [/b]
Only thing I know you Buggers for is Outback Steakhouse!!! :D

I did see a special on Current Channel (DirecTV here) CRNT on 366 Of all the social / Cultural problems you all are having between you guys (the local whites Aussies) and the hugely growing Muslin community, and the riots you rescently had over the few muslims that dared to get near the beach and pummeled some white locals.

Welcome to our World. :p

Latest posts