• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Why not Dean Ryan for England coach?

D

DR749

Why was Martin Johnson, a man with no coaching background, given the top job in England for coaching?

Why not Dean Ryan? I havent heard much chatter about him. He should have been on the short list, or be on the short list now, along with Shaun Edwards.

I am sure this has been discussed here before.........

"Why not Dean Ryan?"

Because he can't mentally prepare Gloucester for the big games (i.e. v Munster and v Leicester last year; both at Kingsholm). Just imagine the disaster that would be England v New Zealand with him as head coach. :lol:

Sorry but that is not true.The reason why Gloucester lost those two games was nothing to do with mental preparation, it was because Ryan has developed a team which is excellent in an open game but sadly lacking when it comes to a dogfight,which most BIG games are! Gloucester have great ball handling,running forwards but lack big, solid ball carriers(exept Qera) who can dominate the breakdown area. If a team can slow Gloucesters ball at ruck and maul time as Munster and Leicester did they dilute the running threat.I hope Gloucester can finally win a big one but with Ryan at the helm and his dubious signings(all in the wrong areas) I doubt it can happen.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danny @ Dec 2 2008, 06:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Sorry but that is not true.The reason why Gloucester lost those two games was nothing to do with mental preparation, it was because Ryan has developed a team which is excellent in an open game but sadly lacking when it comes to a dogfight,which most BIG games are! Gloucester have great ball handling,running forwards but lack big, solid ball carriers(exept Qera) who can dominate the breakdown area. If a team can slow Gloucesters ball at ruck and maul time as Munster and Leicester did they dilute the running threat.I hope Gloucester can finally win a big one but with Ryan at the helm and his dubious signings(all in the wrong areas) I doubt it can happen.[/b]
Well, the fact that Chris Paterson, who at the time was the best goal-kicker on the planet, missed three or so easy kicks at goal in the Munster game, and the fact that Balshaw Balshawrised you in the Leicester game has given me the impression that you aren't the most mentally strong team in big matches.
Or that Balshaw and Paterson aren't big game players...

Obviously there were other factors contributing to the losses... But they are the most glaring from my perspective.
You practically had the game in the bag against Leicester until Mauger's try...
Not saying you would have beaten Munster, but those penalties would have at least kept you in the game...

We never had go-forward ball from the breakdown in either of those games which put us under pressure. Silly mistakes were creeping into our game against Leicester dure to this fact. Balshaw dropped one almighty clanger but the pressure was on physically not mentally. The AI`s have shown us the true worth of winning the breakdown and that is where Gloucester are lacking. But we are 2nd which probably says a lot for the current state of English Rugby.

Latest posts