Why pay for England matches ?

Howzy

Academy Player
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Newcastle RU
Hello guys

i dont know if this is the correct section so if it isn't I'm sure a moderator can move the thread.

anyways the internationals are in full swing and after watching the matches live on the bbc I began wondering why is it you can watch Scotland and Wales on the bbc domestic tv without paying (minus TV liscence etc) and as for England matches you have to pay a fee, now I have no problems paying a one off fee of say £9.99 just to watch it not tying me into a contract of monthly payments. But why is there this payment in the first place ?

Because Sly bought the rights for more money than the BBC could offer.

I can't remember the exact details, but I think the 6N games have to be shown on some domestic TV while other internationals don't. I'm assuming the market for England games is bigger so Sky were prepared to pay a lot more than the BBC could offer. Presumably for Scotland and Wales the demand wasn't deemed so high so Sky didn't bother bidding.

The lack of rugby on free to view TV is a bit of an outrage to be honest.

Don't get me started on Offcom...

Although this is something they sort of did okay.

paying to watch England play Rugby, just what is this world coming to...

@Ewis do you pay for French intl's or is it on domestic tele ?

Because Sly bought the rights for more money than the BBC could offer.

I can't remember the exact details, but I think the 6N games have to be shown on some domestic TV while other internationals don't. I'm assuming the market for England games is bigger so Sky were prepared to pay a lot more than the BBC could offer. Presumably for Scotland and Wales the demand wasn't deemed so high so Sky didn't bother bidding.

The lack of rugby on free to view TV is a bit of an outrage to be honest.

There's been a bit of chat recently about increasing the amount on free to air to increase the audience.

Pretty sure ITV or CH4 will be going in for some Euro rugby at some point.

I would suggest when the bidding comes up for the England AI's, BT will be bidding big.............!!

The bidding came up a month or so ago and BT lost to Sky.
I think the rights go back up in about 6 years.

Correct....new deal starts 2015 and covers up to 2019-20 season!

@Ewis do you pay for French intl's or is it on domestic tele ?

you only tagged half of me, and so as an arrogant reply I'll do the same to you in turn. @The yeah we get all the 6N games (all of em, not just France games) and the November tests on national TV. The 3 annual summer ones Canal+ airs em, it's the one encrypted channel in France that you have to pay for. They're also the guys airing Top 14 matches, it's a network declined over a few channels (Canal+, Canal+Sport, Canal+movies, etc..).

In NZ the only free to air rugby is the World Cup. Everything else is paid and you're looking at at least $50 a month.

and yes of course the France matches of the RWC*
forgot that in my previous post.

Latest posts