Gavin

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Former Soviet Union
Club or Nation
Barbarians

Compare that with football:

As the saying goes. Rugby is a game for hooligans played by gentlemen, football is a game for gentlemen played by hooligans.

Btw reason why it is in Magners League forum is because I was only going to put up the Leinster vs Scarlets video, but decided to put more up. Oh and I know the ***le is a bit off, just realised it.

Last edited by a moderator:
The way referees are treated in football is disgusting. The referee is the sole person incharge of the match what he says goes. I've always said the referee can't be wrong. obviously he theoretially can be but since he is the boss its his decision. Football should learn from rugby and respect the referee and stop telling him how to do his job as you don't see a referee telling a footballer how pass properly. I think that respect is the key word and that is something most modern footballers don't have. Even football fans take it way to far when it comes to abusing referees. threatning someones life becasue they made a mistake is shameful. Thank God most rugby players understand the position of the referee and accept his decisions.

You know I've never fully understood why football has been so resistant to having people hear the ref's mic feed. I'm sure if half the stuff the players say was heard by the general public, and more importantly their sponsors, there would be an end to it in a few weeks.

Fifa and the organisations that look after football make the IRB and co. look positively saintly.

That cheeky little Scarlets scrum half attacked Ryan when his back was turned! Little *******!

That cheeky little Scarlets scrum half attacked Ryan when his back was turned! Little *******!

Priceless! Good on Knoyle imo, standing up for the young fullback. I don't think there was much in the incident, O'Brien didn't hear the ref then accidentally went in a bit high.

Loved Owens then calling all 30 players to let every one of them know that he wasn't going to tollerate any more, since the match was boiling over a bit. Seemed to work too, as there wasn't any more majour incidents.

Football should just flat out suspend any player that raises his voice towards the ref. Can't believe they've done almost nothing to try and stamp both this and diving out of the sport.

the reason football does nothing about it is because these events create controversy, which is then talked about to no end by the fans, managers and media, which keeps football in the spotlight, which makes it more money...

Football's problems could be stamped out easily. If they really wanted to get rid of diving, they would cite players every time it happened and give them lengthy bans. If they really wanted to introduce video replays for goals and penalty incidents, they could quite easily. If they really wanted to stop players behaving so appallingly towards the referee, they would follow rugby's lead and discipline anyone who isn't the captain for even talking to the referee. If they really cared about racism, UEFA would start punishing clubs far more harshly than a few £000 here and there.

As it is, your average man doesn't think of these things and naturally follows the headlines and drama in the same way they'll follow the goals, in the same way X Factor is watched as much for the cheesy moments and Cowell put-downs as it is for the singers. 21st Century opiates of the masses.

Tav is a legend. Not the first time I've seen him start a fight with a forward. There was an interview once in which he said he's yet to meet a bright forward!

the reason football does nothing about it is because these events create controversy, which is then talked about to no end by the fans, managers and media, which keeps football in the spotlight, which makes it more money...

Football's problems could be stamped out easily. If they really wanted to get rid of diving, they would cite players every time it happened and give them lengthy bans. If they really wanted to introduce video replays for goals and penalty incidents, they could quite easily. If they really wanted to stop players behaving so appallingly towards the referee, they would follow rugby's lead and discipline anyone who isn't the captain for even talking to the referee. If they really cared about racism, UEFA would start punishing clubs far more harshly than a few £000 here and there.

As it is, your average man doesn't think of these things and naturally follows the headlines and drama in the same way they'll follow the goals, in the same way X Factor is watched as much for the cheesy moments and Cowell put-downs as it is for the singers. 21st Century opiates of the masses.
I thought drugs were the opiates of the masses.

Saying 'opium is the opium of the masses' isn't all that poetic or thoughtful

Latest posts