• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Why the Wallabies and All Blacks Will Rip the Boks to Pieces

dan-the-man

Academy Player
The Reds and Blues today showed us - as they always do - how rugby is meant to be played. While semi-finals are quite wrongfully thought of as games that need to be played with a tight, kicking approach, the teams from Queensland and Auckland showed us that this attitude is totally outdated as the two teams put on one of the most entertaining games of the year. Both teams were running from in their own 22's and the ball was continuously spread out wide to the wings in an outing packed with wonderful attack.<O:p></O:p>

One just needs to compare Quade Cooper with Morne Steyn, who will most probably (and quite pathetically) wear the Springbok number 10 jersey in this year's World Cup. Cooper showed one of the greatest displays of individual brilliance ever seen on a rugby field as he beat tackles and threw a miracle (albeit dodgy) pass to send Ben Tapuai in for a try after 29 minutes. I would like to personally guarantee you, dear reader, that Morne Steyn would have kicked a pointless up and under, giving the other team possession. However, the Australian and New Zealand teams have made it a point to keep the ball in hand and it has proven effective in their quest for Super Rugby glory. <O:p></O:p>

The South African strategy of "pick-and-go" with your over-rated and over-weight forwards or crash ball with a centre incapable of passing (Wynand Olivier...cough cough...) is outdated and has no place in the modern game - and don't even get me started on up-and-unders and box-kicks. The Stormers are the best South African team this year because when they run, they spread it wide and unleash guys like Aplon. Wingers at the other provinces have to be content with a couple of touches per game.<O:p></O:p>

Apart from Genia's uncharacteristic, frequent box-kicking, the Reds played rugby just about exactly how it should be played. If Saia Fainga'a had any throwing capabilities whatsoever, there could have been even more points. Quade Cooper was an absolute genius with every touch of the ball. Always looking to create something and not aimlessly kicking possession away - Quade Cooper is without doubt the World's in-form fly-half. <O:p></O:p>

We hardly saw that many pick-and-go's, and on the few times we did, an error generally occurred. But they mostly kept this out of their game and let the backs do the running. The Blues constantly spread the ball out to Rockococo and, later on, Ranger. The Reds gave lots of ball to Digby Ioane and Rod Davies, who were absolutely sublime. <O:p></O:p>

If we see South Africa vs Australia or South Africa vs New Zealand, the Boks will play their pathetic brand of ultra-conservative rugby while the likes of Nonu, Williams, O'Connor and Cooper run circles around them. The Boks will continue this fruitless tactic because, as Peter de Villiers and John Smit have constantly shown us, they lack common sense. Watching the Blues and Reds today just made me wonder how it's possible for anyone to support South African rugby, when teams from Australia and New Zealand are constantly making us look stupid with their fast-paced play. I don't understand how someone would want to watch 80 minutes of box-kicking and up-and-unders as opposed to absolute magic from guys like Cooper and Ranger. One thing is for sure; my money will be nowhere near the Springboks when they take on the Wallabies or the All Blacks.<O:p></O:p><O:p></O:p>

Last edited:
I was actually thinking the same. Australia and the Boks lost one game during the EOYT where NZ had a sweep.
Curious to see who will be in the starting XV and how the national sides will preform.

Last edited:
Super Rugby form counts for jack 5hit.

So does Tri-Nations form.

Surely history has taught ABs fans that!?!!

^^^ what are you talking about?

he is just having his opinion (on what I guess is this years Tri Nations)

if you are thinking about the world cup, I am sure he will have a different opinion then, i know I have an opinoin of the tri nations (as thats the next competition) and then after that ill be thinkin of the world cup.

dont get to far ahead of yourself :)

I agree in certain respects, the AB's or Wallabies would be my pick to win the Tri-Nations and/or RWC as well. But I don't think the Boks are nearly as hopeless as you might think. Their initial training squad looks very strong, and I think it's entirely possible that they'll be less conservative than they were last year. They will always be a dangerous side to play against.

I also don't agree that there is a way that rugby is 'meant to be played.' You play to win and while it's nice that there are more teams opting to run it this year it doesn't mean that the formula that was so successful for the Boks in 09 was 'wrong.'

And also, Quade Cooper showing the "greatest displays of brilliance ever seen on a rugby field"? Even if Munro actually knew how to tackle I wouldn't agree with that.

What people also need to remember is that the Bulls and Stormers played in the final of the last SupeRugby tornement and yet the Springboks had a pretty average season finishing last in the Tri Nations. That could happen again with both NZ and Aus.

^^^ what are you talking about?

he is just having his opinion (on what I guess is this years Tri Nations)

if you are thinking about the world cup, I am sure he will have a different opinion then, i know I have an opinoin of the tri nations (as thats the next competition) and then after that ill be thinkin of the world cup.

dont get to far ahead of yourself :)

No, I think he is talking about RWC because he is talking about knock-out rugby (which the 3N isn't).

@ OP; While I'd be surprised if the Springboks won the 3N, I wouldn't at all be surprised if the Springboks knocked the Blacks out come the semi's of the RWC. And if Cooper tries those sorts of plays against the English or French.. don't be surprised if they fail to make the final as well; it might come off and you win with a silly point margin and it might just as easily cost you the game. That said, I do believe Cooper has added to his game and he has been very good kicking for territory when it was worth it throughout the season. I think your calling for running everything no matter what the situation is just as silly as any other over-emphasized strategy of play.

I'm curious as to why the Wallabies are considered so wonderful. Assosciation with New Zealand?

I'm curious as to why the Wallabies are considered so wonderful. Assosciation with New Zealand?

I think it is well-earned. Yes they lost to England last year (who themselves are looking like a good side), but they were also the only team to have beaten the All Blacks in 20 matches and they went on to thrash France by 43 points, their players are all in good form and very young and they only seem to be improving. For the first time in years they have a team in the Super 14 final, who has lead the competition for a majority of it. They certainly seem like the biggest threat from an All Blacks perspective.

They certainly seem like the biggest threat from an All Blacks perspective.
Don't disagree with that though, though I see it as more of an indictment of NH rugby (especially England and France) rather than a reflection of Australia's strength.

I think its important to see how improved Australia's scrum this year. The scrum is now pivotal in the game and is a huge contest mentally and physically. We have seen how Ireland improved as their scrum improved and how Leinster have become Heineken cup champions mainly because their scrum has become much better. We can't really tell how the Wallabies scrum is going to be from the Super 15 because it is not a big contest however we do know that SA usually have a dominant scrum and if Australia cannot cope with it or the any parts of the up front battle then it really doesn't matter how good their backs are because they will not have the platform to launch them. If Australia can front up and win ball then they become one of the biggest threats in the world.

I think its important to see how improved Australia's scrum this year. The scrum is now pivotal in the game and is a huge contest mentally and physically. We have seen how Ireland improved as their scrum improved and how Leinster have become Heineken cup champions mainly because their scrum has become much better. We can't really tell how the Wallabies scrum is going to be from the Super 15 because it is not a big contest however we do know that SA usually have a dominant scrum and if Australia cannot cope with it or the any parts of the up front battle then it really doesn't matter how good their backs are because they will not have the platform to launch them. If Australia can front up and win ball then they become one of the biggest threats in the world.

While I agree that getting parity at the scrum will be vital to most teams, I doubt the Aussies will be overly worried; they have played behind beaten scrums for years now and more recently the Reds have done pretty well, topping the table and all, behind a pretty average scrum (no matter what their fans will say about Slipper LOL). Genia and Cooper will be the starting partnership for the Wallabies as well and behind a much improved scrum with guys like Robinson, Moore, TPN, baxter and Kepu much more able. That said, if you can actually take the ball off of them at the scrum or line-out rather than just giving them ball under pressure it may be a nail in the coffin as Cooper can't do anything without ball in hand.

Slipper is talented for sure I don' know what the fans say, but hes a good player and hes what 21, 22 he could be a top class prop IMO.

Slipper is talented for sure I don' know what the fans say, but hes a good player and hes what 21, 22 he could be a top class prop IMO.
For sure. He could probably only get better but the fact is the Reds scrum has struggled against better ones. My point was that they (Reds backline) manage well off of bad ball.

if the Boks dont do well this year I would say the main reason would be their coaching. Even if no NZ teams made the Super final(s) I would back Henry & co to put together a great All Black team. I don't think Peter DV could do the same.

SA have the players to do well despite the fact that their star studded bulls team didn't even make the finals and their strongest team couldn't win their Home Semi. But I have doubts over the coaches ability to make the selections needed and come up with the right gameplan.

SA justy need fresh coaching ideas and they will catch up super fast

No, I think he is talking about RWC because he is talking about knock-out rugby (which the 3N isn't).

@ OP; While I'd be surprised if the Springboks won the 3N, I wouldn't at all be surprised if the Springboks knocked the Blacks out come the semi's of the RWC. And if Cooper tries those sorts of plays against the English or French.. don't be surprised if they fail to make the final as well; it might come off and you win with a silly point margin and it might just as easily cost you the game. That said, I do believe Cooper has added to his game and he has been very good kicking for territory when it was worth it throughout the season. I think your calling for running everything no matter what the situation is just as silly as any other over-emphasized strategy of play.

I think what Stormer2011 is trying to say is that the Boks will park the bus again.....

RWc is won on defence...not by/with attack...that is why the Ab wont win this WC.... i don't mind if they lose.... WC do not say you the best in the world.... but i think the AB deserve a WC for the players, with guys liek McCaw and Carter.....

Its possible but I dont think the All Blacks or the Wallabies will rip the 'Boks to pieces. The ABs and Wallies are capable of thrashing many teams over and over but the 'Boks aint one of them. In saying that Im sure the 'Boks could do that to the Wallies (not sure about the ABs as I hardly see them get thrashed over and over).

Its funny because around this time last year, many were saying that that the Wallabies would be the ones getting ripped to pieces (or something like that) and now look. Early last year the Wallabies looked woeful in their tests, their young guns were still finding their feet, Australian rugby fans were begining to question Robbie Deans coaching and their Super franchises were indicating that Australian rugby was struggling. Come tri-nations time, the Wallabies were a real force.

Dont always follow the arrows.

Last edited:

Latest posts