• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wigan vs. Cas

S

St Helens RLFC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_league/7239700.stm

Cas have won a few times at the JJB over the years, including, famously, at the very first game the JJB Stadium hosted, but they have some suspension problems already and this isn't the sort of game you would expect them to win in. Wigan have big names returning and I foresee a comfortable win for them.

I'm not normally very confident in predicting Wigan games but I fully expect them to pound Cas into submission.
The home crowds reaction to the Cas players might be interesting as well given the abuse aimed at our youngsters in a game at Cas where the Castleford supporters were 'encouraged' to go to the game to show Wigan what they felt about about the salary cap infringements. :toss:

They have very, very legitimate complaints about the way Wigan cheated the salary cap in that season but bring kids into it? No way.

They have very, very legitimate complaints about the way Wigan cheated the salary cap in that season but bring kids into it? No way.
[/b]

Indeed.
The blame lies with Lindsay & Whelan.

Wigan 28-16 Castleford Tom Haberecht and Mark Leafa kept Castleford in contention but the Warriors proved too strong.

The Tigers surprised Wigan with the game's opening try when centre Ryan McGoldrick sliced through the Warriors defence and put Lupton under the posts, with Joe Westerman goaling. Luke Dorn did well to stop Richard Mathers in full flow while Trent Barrett went close to the line eight minutes before half-time when he broke down the middle but elected to dummy with Leuluai on his inside.

Gareth Hock, back from suspension, and George Carmont pushed hard and the visitors were hanging on until Richards managed to cross right on half-time, with his conversion making it 8-6. The Warriors then scored two tries in the first five minutes of the second half to control matters. Colbon notched the first after the defence was unable to deal with another towering kick from Barrett, before Barrett put Leuluai over under the posts shortly after.

Richards converted the second try to open up a 12-point advantage, and added a 55th-minute penalty before Haberecht cut the gap on the hour mark. But Leuluai added his second after a short ball from Iafeta Paleaaesina to grab his second try, with Richards adding his fifth goal.

Prop Mark Leafa's try, converted by Westerman, reduced the Tigers arrears before a late Richards penalty and the sin-binning of McGoldrick.

Wigan: Mathers, Colbon, Goulding, Carmont, Richards, Barrett, Leuluai, Coley, Higham, Paleaaesina, Hansen, Bailey, O'Loughlin.
Replacements: Hock, Prescott, McIlorum, O'Carroll.

Castleford: Dorn, Owen, Shenton, McGoldrick, Wainwright, Thackeray, Sherwin, Leafa, Henderson, Korkidas, Guttenbeil, Lupton, Westerman.
Replacements: Higgins, Huby, Haberecht, Fletcher.

Referee: I Smith (Oldham)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_league/7239700.stm

Its good that wigan won and its a good start to the season but i'm also happy that castleford are putting up a good fight a win will come soon. :)

Latest posts