TRF_Cymro

Cymro The White
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Barbarians
_57927876_wikiped.jpg

Wikipedia plans to take its English-language site offline on Wednesday as part of protests against proposed anti-piracy laws in the US.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-16590585

Good to know. Will make sure to get any essays done before Wednesday...

What are TRF's views on SOPA?

I think although its unlikely it'll pass its still quite insulting. Its way too broad as Jimmy Wales said .Obamas promissed to Veto it though

Basically with SOPA if someone was to post the link to an illegal stream of a rugby game on this site, Google would be forced to remove this site from its search engines and TRF could be removed from the internet. I'm not saying that this would happen but group would have the power to make that happen. The government could also be able to block access to different sites. This has been done in Libya, Syria and Iran to stop protests happening there and is most commonly seen in China.

Yep, SOPA is bad stuff.
It's going to be a good political tool in the USA as well: Whoever publicly opposes it is going to look better in the eyes of the internet.

Basically with SOPA if someone was to post the link to an illegal stream of a rugby game on this site, Google would be forced to remove this site from its search engines and TRF could be removed from the internet. I'm not saying that this would happen but group would have the power to make that happen. The government could also be able to block access to different sites. This has been done in Libya, Syria and Iran to stop protests happening there and is most commonly seen in China.

Unless TRF is a US company (which it isn't) they couldn't touch it. America doesn't own the internet, whatever they might have you believe.

Unless TRF is a US company (which it isn't) they couldn't touch it. America doesn't own the internet, whatever they might have you believe.

They don't need to be able to touch it to remove it from search engines.. America 'owns' google, which is essentially the same thing as owning the internet. I would be willing to bet that the majority of the people here found the place by googling "rugby forum", "rugby game/08/rwc" and the like.

Ah, but isn't that the beauty of being an internet company? Surely google could just register themselves as a Canadian company or some jazz along those lines?

What exactly do they need publicity for?
So they can remain the market leader. The additional exposure they get from this will put them further into the public consciousness if they ever do float the company or put advertising on their site.

Wales is an entrepreneur who makes a ton of money from speaking engagements- I'm sure he'll be in even bigger demand now. I don't have a problem with that by the way.

So they can remain the market leader. The additional exposure they get from this will put them further into the public consciousness if they ever do float the company or put advertising on their site.

Wales is an entrepreneur who makes a ton of money from speaking engagements- I'm sure he'll be in even bigger demand now. I don't have a problem with that by the way.

Correct me if wrong, but he currently makes no money off of wikipedia? (although yes, this will help his speaking engagements)

Ah, but isn't that the beauty of being an internet company? Surely google could just register themselves as a Canadian company or some jazz along those lines?
I think so. Thats one of the many idoitic sticking points of SOPA, It can only drive business away surely
Anyhow I've found a way around the irritating blackout so I don't care

Wikipedia in itself is not for profit as far as I'm aware but Wales makes a fortune off the back of being Wikipedia's founder. How long it remains a not for profit organisation is something I question. This additional publicity can only help their position if they wish to become a business rather than a service as is presently the case.

I'm not coming down on the side of the law which seems a step too far. I'm merely wondering if there's more to Wikipedia's stance than meets the eye.

Well SOPA would really damage Wikipedia so theyre not been totally selfless. Stopping SOPA is in their best interest

I think although its unlikely it'll pass its still quite insulting. Its way too broad as Jimmy Wales said .Obamas promissed to Veto it though

2/3 of Congress voting in support of SOPA would overide his Veto, I'm not sure what the vote is supposed to go like on this, but if it has overwhleming congressional support Obama can't stop it.

Sopa is dumb. It's basically what China and N Korea do. It's propaganda, giving people in power the excuse to remove things they don't agree with. Glad the big Internet powers are rejecting it.

Latest posts