• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wikus van Heerden returns to the Lions

M

munross

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Springbok flanker and former Golden Lions captain, Wikus van Heerden, has signed with the Lions and will be available from July 1 to October 31, 2012.

Van Heerden, or "Captain Courageous", as he was commonly referred to, left the Lions at the end of the 2006 Currie Cup competition to join the Bulls, and thereafter moved to Saracens.

He will remain at Saracens until the end of their season on June 30 before moving back to Johannesburg. Van Heerden Monday commented he was excited about returning to the Lions.

"Since my time at the Lions I have grown as a player and have gathered much experience at both the Bulls and Saracens. "I am hoping to utilize this experience and make an impact when I join them later this year".

The GLRU are excited about signing Van Heerden, who has spent most of his formative rugby career with the Johannesburg-based team.

"It's always good to sign a new player, but when it's a former star player returning, it makes it a little more special.

"Wikus returning is exciting, and we see this as just one more step in the right direction for the GLRU," said CEO Manie Reyneke.

Of the various unions in South Africa, why the Lions? "The Lions have always been a very special team to me.

"I spent nine years at the Lions before moving over to the Bulls. At that stage I needed a change.

"With all the changes at the Lions now and with the new people appointed, this is an exciting and ideal opportunity for me to make the most of what is left of my rugby career.

"And who knows, maybe I can be a part of a winning Super 14 or Currie Cup team while at the Lions".

Van Heerden will join the Lions ahead of the 2010 Currie Cup, where he is expected to be a regular in the starting 15.[/b]
http://www.rugbyweek.com/news/article.asp?id=23879

Haven't seen much of him since he joined Saracens, but I can remember him really being "Captain Courageous" while he was playing for the Lions, will he be missed at Saracens?

Yes. He's an excellent, hardworking player. Sort of typifies Saracens of this season - solid, dependable, unfussy and South African.

Hugely missed. The guy has been absolutely immense for us these past two seasons and has worked in overdrive in the pack. South Africa won't know what hit them when Biggus Wickus comes back home...

He has one hell of challenge to get back a spot with the Boks with the emergence of Deysel, Potgieter and Brussow.

Don't worry when crazy Pete comes to choose selection, Bigus Wickus will just sit on messrs Deysel, Potgieter and Brussow.

<PdV> Tell me, Bigus Wickus, where are the other three?
<BW> Er..nowhere! They all went on holiday to..er...Timbucktu!
<PdV> Mein gott! Then it must be you! YOU! Now, let us go to the circus, I hear they tame lions
<BW> hehehe...sucker.

Well, just look at how the Bulls struggled without him in 2008 before Stegmana and Potgieter took a step up. I think the grunt and experience he would probably bring to the Lions will be invaluable. But what the Lions really need is to steady the boat. Getting Wikus and Burton francis on board and dropping Pretorius (poor Force) is a step in the right direction.

Not too sure about King Carlos, though. Can anyone tell me how the old man has been playing recently? Can't see him as a mentor for Francis as the games they play are vastly different.

Heh well for Glaws he was being outshone by a few other players like Nicky Robinson and a few others so he was mostly on the bench.

Meh, Wikus was always 'never quite there' in my opinion. A good player, but never brilliant. Now if Schalk Brits was coming back to the Lions, i would be excited. Such a talented hooker! Stupid quota forcing players like Shimange and Rallapele in the team pretty much caused him to leave. :(

Brits loves it at Saracens. He has a huge grin every time he comes off the pitch and sees the fans. Gets a standing ovation every time.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jer1cho @ Jan 19 2010, 03:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Meh, Wikus was always 'never quite there' in my opinion. A good player, but never brilliant. Now if Schalk Brits was coming back to the Lions, i would be excited. Such a talented hooker! Stupid quota forcing players like Shimange and Rallapele in the team pretty much caused him to leave. :([/b]

Yeah I agree, Wikus will probably not play for the Boks, as a 1st choice player at least, he could be a fringe player though. He is a great club/provincial though and the Lions are lucky to have him. I'd much rather have some props come back, we have enough loose-forwards!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Jan 19 2010, 03:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Brits loves it at Saracens. He has a huge grin every time he comes off the pitch and sees the fans. Gets a standing ovation every time.[/b]

He also got that every time whilst playing for the Stormers

Lem can kill a small village with a single thought... or just tackle them stukkend

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Intercept King JdV @ Jan 19 2010, 08:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Jan 19 2010, 03:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Brits loves it at Saracens. He has a huge grin every time he comes off the pitch and sees the fans. Gets a standing ovation every time.[/b]

He also got that every time whilst playing for the Stormers
[/b][/quote]

Speak for yourself. Brits (though I like him as a person), Watson leaving our shores is the best thing to happen to the Stormers for a while. No more forwards getting mixed up in the backline and getting isolated/ turning over ball/ greedy play.

Latest posts