• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wilkinson and Ofisa sign new contracts

• Thread starter snoopy snoopy dog dog
  • Start date
S

snoopy snoopy dog dog

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Connacht rugby is pleased to announce that prop Brett Wilkinson and flanker Ray Ofisa have signed new two-year contracts.

Team manager Tim Allnutt said that it was a boost to secure the services of two players who had performed so well since coming to Connacht.

"They are fine players who constantly deliver high performances and we are delighted to secure their services for the next couple of seasons," said Allnutt.

Both South African Wilkinson (25) and Samoan Ofisa (28) will become Irish-qualified later this year.

Both players said they were delighted to extend their stay with Connacht.

"It has been great to play for Connacht over the past few years and I'm looking forward to playing my part as we continue to progress over the next couple of seasons," said Ofisa.

"I have greatly enjoyed my time here in Ireland and have really settled in," said Wilkinson.[/b]
http://www.connachtrugby.ie/content/view/81754/20/

In itself, it's not big news - who really cares if the Magners League's worst team keep a couple of their players? However when you factor in that these re-signings come on the back of John Muldoon, Gavin Duffy and Johnny O'Connor also commiting their futures to Connacht, it's a sign that they may no longer be viewed as a feeder team to the other Irish provinces. Hopefully Connacht can add a bit of depth to their squad now that they've tied down the nucleus of their lineup for another couple of years.

Good stuff. So how soon will Wilkinson be capped? I wonder how long they will be able to hold onto Keatley, Carr and Cronin for?

Ireland_maul_training_RDS.jpg

^
That's Wilkinson training with the Ireland squad a couple of weeks ago. I'd say he'll be capped, or at least tour with the A's to the Churchill Cup during the summer. I was half expecting Wilkinson would sign with Munster during the summer to provide stern competition for Marcus Horan while also replacing Freddie Pucciariello.

If Connacht weed out the "rubbish" (Bibo, Nathan, Donnelly, Lyne, Deane for example), hold onto the likes of Keatley, Carr and Cronin for another year at least and can add talent like Shane Monahan, Fergus McFadden and more fringe players from other provinces along with one or two bargains like Niva Ta'ausa, Connacht will be very competitive. At the moment their complete lack of squad depth lets them down.

Latest posts