• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wilkinson kicking stat....

S

Somerset Chops

Hi........Can someone tell me weather that first kick JW missed on sunday was his first kick missed in the 6 nations since 2003 or was it his first kick missed in all England games since 2003, i remember the commentators saying one of them but cant remember which one. thanks.

Yup, Toup is correct...and the only reason i remember because it was one of the stupidest "stats" i have ever heard.

It was slightly more complicated than that again if I remember correctly:

It was the first penalty kick he'd missed in (6 Nations*) England games he started since 2003.

* Can't remember if it was just in the 6 nations or not. It certainly didn't include conversions though!

The fact he's barely started many games sinse then makes the stat even stupider. Bet it doesn't sound as impressive if they just said the number of games instead of length of time.

Although that said, 500 points in 6 Nations games is no mean feat, whatever other criticisms that can be levelled at him.

Amazing that this 'stat' has stuck with so many of us - it was so contrived that it stuck out like a sore thumb.

On a personal level, I haven't missed a kick at goal taken with my left foot since I started playing rugby 21 years ago...

haha. He's certainly a prolific kicker, one of the best the game's ever seen. If he'd played consistently between 2003 and now, god knows what his points tally would now stand at.

Typical stupid Sky Sports fact that they seem to think proves something. Another 1 similar to this that they said before Ireland vs Wales in last year's 6 nations was that Wales hadn't lost a game which Henson had started in...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (King D'arcy @ Feb 16 2010, 05:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Typical stupid Sky Sports fact that they seem to think proves something. Another 1 similar to this that they said before Ireland vs Wales in last year's 6 nations was that Wales hadn't lost a game which Henson had started in...[/b]

It was the BBC. Sky actually know rugby.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (King D'arcy @ Feb 16 2010, 05:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Typical stupid Sky Sports fact that they seem to think proves something. Another 1 similar to this that they said before Ireland vs Wales in last year's 6 nations was that Wales hadn't lost a game which Henson had started in...[/b]
no i think it said someting about henson amd shanklin starting and not loseing for some amout of tests not sure

King D'Arcy got it right. Wales hadn't lost a game Henson had started in untill that Ireland game. At least that was a much more useful stat which kinda showed how much Wales has missed Henson when he hasn't been there. With the emergence of the likes of Roberts and Jon Davies, not to mention Bishops improved form, Henson is no longer missed as much nowerdays.

It still doesn't prove anything. Saying that this fact makes Henson a world beater is the same as saying Parisse is sh*t because Italy have won **** all games with him starting.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (King D'arcy @ Feb 16 2010, 05:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
It still doesn't prove anything. Saying that this fact makes Henson a world beater is the same as saying Parisse is sh*t because Italy have won **** all games with him starting.[/b]

It certainly did prove something imo. Henson was a good player, wheather people like him or not. But that wasn't really the point with this particular stat, it instead showed how little depth Wales had at 12 between 2005 and 2008. We despirately missed Henson, instead playing Hook out of position (where he wasn't comfertouble at the time) or resorting to the likes of Watkins playign outside Shanklin.

You're comparison with Parisse is like comparing apples to oranges. Wales won a grand slam in 2005 and 2008 when Henson was starting all games. In the years between when Henson was missing, we were poor. Now I don't think in the slightest that Henson would have made a difference in 2006 and 07, as it was in the forwards where we lost the games we did, but it does add fuel to this particular stat. Parisse is however playing in a side which is simply not good enough to win more than the odd game. They simply don't posses the players to do so (mainly in the backs). This takes nothing away from Parisse who's a world class operator.

did you see at half time how the interveiwer sugested that the ball might have caused wilko to kick badly what a load of BULL

After whichever commentator came out with the stat, the other guy was like "....got anyother ridiculous facts?"

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (coonor @ Feb 16 2010, 06:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
did you see at half time how the interveiwer sugested that the ball might have caused wilko to kick badly what a load of BULL[/b]
It's an excuse O'Gara has been using for years......

Latest posts