• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Will Benji Marshall move from League to Union?

Shaggy

First XV
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
New Zealand
It looks like Super Rugby Blues coach, John Kirwan, has had talks with Benji Marshall's manager, regarding a move to Rugby union

http://www.rugbyweek.com/news/article.asp?id=39612&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

It might be interesting if he did make the move ... I share the concerns about his defensive qualities, and would agree that they might use him the same way they use Quade Cooper - I think he'd be a much better Sevens player, than a Fifteens player ... but who knows

Yeah I saw this. Intriguing, but chances are nothing will be made of it. If there was a franchise for Benji to go to - the Blues would certainly be the best fit. He's about the same age as Noakes. Is probably a slightly better defender (with Noakes being a terrible defender) - and can produce a lot of creativity for big backs to run off. 28 years old is probably a bit old to take that gamble though imo - especially considering he's most likely sign a 1 year contract, meanwhile Noakes and Kerr could potentially leave.

Last edited:
I already posted this in the NRl forum yesterday. I think the NRL CEO wants to keep him in the NRL. But a move to Auckland to play for the Warriors would be sweet.

Yeah I saw this. Intriguing, but chances are nothing will be made of it. If there was a franchise for Benji to go to - the Blues would certainly be the best fit. He's about the same age as Noakes. Is probably a slightly better defender (with Noakes being a terrible defender) - and can produce a lot of creativity for big backs to run off. 28 years old is probably a bit old to take that gamble though imo - especially considering he's most likely sign a 1 year contract, meanwhile Noakes and Kerr could potentially leave.

I was wondering what age he is, particularly as they are implying in the article that lure of the Sevens at the Olympics, might bring him to union ... that would make him about 31 when they are on? ... might be ok, but certainly a risk

I already posted this in the NRl forum yesterday. I think the NRL CEO wants to keep him in the NRL. But a move to Auckland to play for the Warriors would be sweet.

Sorry Amobokoboko, I haven't been on here for a couple of weeks ... had a look to see if it had been posted ... have to look harder next time :)

Last edited:

Haven't heard anything of him being linked to the Warriors?

I read it somewhere this weekend. It's pure speculation but apparently it would be a 3 year contract for 3 million dollar. Not sure if this is possible with the salary gap? Will try to find the article.

While some Wests Tigers powerbrokers have baulked at upgrading Benji Marshall's deal – as is required by his contract following increases to the salary cap – some NRL clubs believe he is still worth top dollar.
Sunday Sin Bin understands the deal the New Zealand Warriors tabled for the Kiwi playmaker was worth $3 million over three seasons.
Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...f-immortals-20130629-2p3v5.html#ixzz2XbRfTN4F

Read more: http://www.zerotackle.com/nrl/warriors-offer-big-bucks-for-benji-10187/#ixzz2XnhJq4pv

I like the idea of Benji playing union. Pair him up with Piri and the bigger midfield of the Blues and he should be fine.

As a Blues & Warriors fan - i'd hope he stay in the Tigers.

Blues - it's clear he has all the attacking skills in the world. His defensive skills are not too shabby either. I don't think chucking him in at 1st Five from go to woe will make him any better. There are clear subtleties in defensive lines for Rugby (not too mention all the set piece action and rucking) that would take him awhile to adjust. Bringing him to the Blues wouldn't do the Blues justice, it would just set him up for either the AB's or most likely the 7's. What benefit do we get from that? Whatever Quade Cooper could do, I'd reckon Benji could do it better but he'd need players around him. As an example - 15. Piutau 14. Naholo 13. Willison 12. Saili 11. Halai 10. Marshall - I just see defensive holes all over the place.

Warriors - We don't need him. We need a quality centre. The "spine" doesn't have to consist of a strong 6 & 7. The storm are the examples of that.
Bluey McClennan: This is the example of the Warriors getting what they "want" and not what they "need".

I think he'd do fine in Union if he was brought along cautiously. I wouldn't necessarily just chuck him out onto the 1st XV straight away. But see how he progresses.

As a Blues & Warriors fan - i'd hope he stay in the Tigers.

Blues - it's clear he has all the attacking skills in the world. His defensive skills are not too shabby either. I don't think chucking him in at 1st Five from go to woe will make him any better. There are clear subtleties in defensive lines for Rugby (not too mention all the set piece action and rucking) that would take him awhile to adjust. Bringing him to the Blues wouldn't do the Blues justice, it would just set him up for either the AB's or most likely the 7's. What benefit do we get from that? Whatever Quade Cooper could do, I'd reckon Benji could do it better but he'd need players around him. As an example - 15. Piutau 14. Naholo 13. Willison 12. Saili 11. Halai 10. Marshall - I just see defensive holes all over the place.

Warriors - We don't need him. We need a quality centre. The "spine" doesn't have to consist of a strong 6 & 7. The storm are the examples of that.
Bluey McClennan: This is the example of the Warriors getting what they "want" and not what they "need".

Keeping in mind however - Noakes has missed the most number of tackles of any player in Super Rugby, so I don't think defensively they'd be worse.

Their was talk in the media of luring him to the warriors because the warriors have room in their budjet for a big name signing. But since them they have signed that guy Sam Tomkins(sp?) and Benji has said that he feels loyalty to the tigers so could not play against them.

So with that his options are to resign with the tigers, switch to union or move to another competition.

I think he would do ok in union. I also think this *slump* he is in is something he will find his way out of. For the type of player he is he does seem a bit old for a code change but at the same time he is a very smart and hard working proud man. I think he could do it if he put his mind to it.

He'd be great for us IMO. We've had an entertainment machine (although hes currently out of order) like him before in King Carlos. Haven't heard of any Warriors talk up in till now and doubtful that he would turn Warrior. He's never been the best defender however his attacking ability could light up the ITM cup. Touch, League and possibly now Union, why not

Keeping in mind however - Noakes has missed the most number of tackles of any player in Super Rugby, so I don't think defensively they'd be worse.

Actually I meant tactically speaking, I don't see anyone calling the shots about their defensive line, someone like a Conrad Smith leading the defensive line. Benji's tackling isn't that bad, the other problem with my backline example is tactics altogether. Teams will look at the Blues and just go "kick it back at them, they won't kick it back, let them make mistakes" Crusaders would tear them apart.

Latest posts