• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Will I hold up alright in college rugby? (16 years old, stats included)

liftingyoung

Academy Player
Country Flag
England
I start college end of this week and I'm enrolled to be on their rugby team. I come from a powerlifting background so I'm hoping my experience in the gym will help in rugby itself, as i've only played when i was about 11 years old.

Height 6ft
Weight 15stone (95kg)
Bench 125kg
Squat 160kg
Deadlift 190kg

Chest size 45"
Arms 17"
Legs 28"
Waist 32"

So as I said I've not got any experience really playing rugby...will I be able to survive? really nervous for some reason!

many thanks

...Yep. Should go well as a prop (unless you're particularly fast in which cause you could be good just about anywhere other than scrumhalf/1st 5/8th). Worth just practicing ball skills. When I started out playing I carried a rugby ball everywhere and just got used to the feel, catching and passing (to myself often..). Other than that, just don't be nervous in tackling and you'll be sweet (as a 95kg 16 year old shouldn't be scared of putting a hit on anyone).

Well you are almost certainly going to have an advantage in scrums, mauls and rucks. I'm willing to bet that most of the guys you'll be playing with/against have probably never squatted before.
Have you done much running since you started powerlifting? I know when I started to run after I had been PL style squatting for a couple of years my groin was absolutely ****ed.
If you haven't done much cardio/Aerobic conditioning for a while then you might find that quite hard, but you'll almost certainly have an advantage when it comes to using good body position in practically every aspect of the game.

For a 16-year old, you are actually ahead in most areas to play rugby than your counterparts, apart from the ball skills. Like Nick has said, playing with the ball, is the best way in honing your skills. bouncing it around and just getting a feel for it will already assist you a lot.

I do however want to say that you must look after your lower back. When you are doing powerlifting, you are putting your body in an anabolic phase. when you play rugby, and getting the physical contact part, your body goes into a catabolic phase, and this could cause injuries. I personally injured my lower back through deadlifts, and since then I have never done a deadlift again.

...Yep. Should go well as a prop (unless you're particularly fast in which cause you could be good just about anywhere other than scrumhalf/1st 5/8th). Worth just practicing ball skills. When I started out playing I carried a rugby ball everywhere and just got used to the feel, catching and passing (to myself often..). Other than that, just don't be nervous in tackling and you'll be sweet (as a 95kg 16 year old shouldn't be scared of putting a hit on anyone).

Ah well that is good to hear thank you!

Well you are almost certainly going to have an advantage in scrums, mauls and rucks. I'm willing to bet that most of the guys you'll be playing with/against have probably never squatted before.
Have you done much running since you started powerlifting? I know when I started to run after I had been PL style squatting for a couple of years my groin was absolutely ****ed.
If you haven't done much cardio/Aerobic conditioning for a while then you might find that quite hard, but you'll almost certainly have an advantage when it comes to using good body position in practically every aspect of the game.

Will def be doing some cardio in my training from now on then. Thanks again.

For a 16-year old, you are actually ahead in most areas to play rugby than your counterparts, apart from the ball skills. Like Nick has said, playing with the ball, is the best way in honing your skills. bouncing it around and just getting a feel for it will already assist you a lot.

I do however want to say that you must look after your lower back. When you are doing powerlifting, you are putting your body in an anabolic phase. when you play rugby, and getting the physical contact part, your body goes into a catabolic phase, and this could cause injuries. I personally injured my lower back through deadlifts, and since then I have never done a deadlift again.

Will get a ball then! My lower back is quite honestly unbreakable lol. Did you go to a physio or chiro to get your lower back checked out man, sounds painful!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm 15 and am 6ft 1 and 15 stone, honestly I play a high level -academy and county and physically dominate my opponents ! You will be more than fine,. Only thing is maintaining fitness which can be hard but is necessary

Latest posts