• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Will New Zealand change their policy on overseas players?

TobesHodges

Bench Player
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Reds
With all the players leaving for money overseas, will New Zealand change their "Overseas Policy", with the likes of the rugby neighbors?

Honest Opinions please! :rolleyes:

With all the players leaving for money overseas, will New Zealand change their "Overseas Policy", with the likes of the rugby neighbors?

Not a chance, no. It would be stupid to do so because of the substantial damage to our domestic game, and we have more than enough depth to not have to.

Yep, not a chance; it would be the death of NZ rugby if they did ... The only change that might come close to making any sense, would be to allow All Black selections from the Non NZ Super Rugby teams, and even then, that would probably stretch the player base too thin

I don't think NZ have to relax their rules, plenty of good player depth. Every kid in NZ wants to grow up to be an All Black

No. The AB's make good money and the brand, prestige and everything else that comes with playing for the All Blacks is such a draw point for any player in NZ. It's virtually every kids dreams. I have no problem with players leaving late in their careers to get a nice pay out. Or after a World Cup year to make a bit of money. Like Kaino and potentially Piutau, but we will likely just replace Piutau.

Not ever going to happen that I can see. The strength of our game globally is that we retain our players and use those to create the challenging environment that is the AB's, and looking at our super results vs those of say SA, on a whole we perform better.

It is good that SA do that though, as it weakens both them and the Europe teams :)

Not any chance.

Some time ago, I wrote an article on this very subject for a local magazine. I posted part of that article here on TRF.

The thing is, it not as simple as just selecting/not selecting overseas players. Its a whole lot more complicated than it seems at first. A change of policy would have a significant impact on the way the NZRU runs rugby in New Zealand

Here is the post

http://www.therugbyforum.com/thread...Based-Overseas?p=719546&viewfull=1#post719546

Short answer: Nope.

Longer answer: You never say never but there are big advantages for NZ in the policy and it has yet to hurt them in a major and substantive way despite not playing Carl Hayman for most of his career and resorting to Stephen Donald ahead of Nick Evans. It's not like this is new. Maybe in the future the financial pressures finally get them, but that's not happening for the foreseeable.

Not anytime soon anyway. If the players decide to follow the same move as the Aussies then maybe they might take it under consideration.

8 different variations of no. I think you have your answer.. ;)

New Zealand doesn't need to the depth in quality they are producing will mean it won't effect them as much as other nations as their domestic game is too strong. Plus for senior players they let them go on sabaticals to earn a lot of money.

Here in England is the same, rugby is finally getting some decent depth! And with our U20's finally catching up with the kiwi's now, shows how far our grass roots have come I guess..

Latest posts