• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Will Peel move to France/England?

S

Sir Speedy

Rumours have spread that Peel may be moving from Llanelli (and out of Wales in general) next season after his contract expires this Summer. The Western Mail in particular have said that he has had links with Saracens and the London Wasps. Although they also pointed out that Peel would prefer a move to France (much like Alfie and Stephen Jones). The newspaper also pointed out that French Champions, Paris, are looking for a World-Class scrum-half after Pichot retired after the World Cup.
If Peel moved, i think this would benefit his game. Playing with Llanelli at the moment, he's getting nothing from an abysmal pack and the coaching setup (suffering from second-season syndrome) aren't helping either. If he moved to Paris, he would have forwards such as Sergio Parisse, Remy Martin and Scott Murray (Or is that Jason White?) to give him good possession, and ultimately, allow him to perform. Using Stephen and Alfie as examples, they both prove that playing abroad can expand a players game (Also moving them from the dismal Magners League) as Wales won the Grand Slam the year they were in France.
Peel moving to France will not benefit Llanelli, but it may benefit Welsh rugby as a whole, and since I can't see this new rule (Welsh players must stick to Welsh regions) sticking, he could get back to form over the 2 or more years he stays there.

What are your thoughts?

Peel would probably do well to move away from Llanelli. Seems to be a case of 1 step forward and 2 steps backward at the moment. Their pack isn't up to scracth so he's getting poor ball. a Scrum half is only as good as his pack.

And it's Taylor you think of at Paris, he's struggling to hold down his place mind. Murray plays for Mantauban and White is the Sale captain.

Word on the terrace is we've got him now Sharky is off to Wasps. But then again, that rumour is fueled by the Rugby Times so it can almost be completely discounted.

Hes going to Sale. Announced on BBC a few mins ago. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_unio...ale/7189499.stm
Llanelli Scarlets have announced that scrum-half Dwyane Peel will join Sale Sharks at the end of the season.

Wales international Peel, 26, came through the ranks at Llanelli and has been with the Scarlets regional side since its inception in 2003.

The news comes less than a week after the Welsh Rugby Union said that players who play their club rugby outside Wales may harm their international selection.

Peel said the move to the English Premiership club was "not about money".

"The deal to stay at Llanelli was similar to that offered by Sale - it's about the fact that, not having lived outside Wales, I'd like to experience life in another country for a short period," he said in a statement issued by the Scarlets.

o.gif

Scarlets chief executive Stuart Gallacher said Peel will leave Stradey Park with the club's best wishes, and that the search to find a replacement has already begun.

"Dwayne has served us admirably through one of the club's most thrilling decades," said Gallacher.

"He has been a cornerstone in helping us to develop a formidable European record in that time and in keeping us highly competitive in domestic tournaments.

"We're always pleased to see home-grown talent become international stars - and Dwayne has served Wales and the Lions with great skill and dedication.

"His departure leaves a void at Stradey Park but means that the tremendous emerging talent in Phil Davies's squad will be given a greater chance to shine.

"We will also be looking to strengthen the squad."

Llanelli Scarlets director of rugby Phil Davies added: "We wish Dwayne well at Sale - he has served our region extraordinarily well and is hugely popular with fans and team-mates.

"He has been outstanding for us in the Magners League and Heineken Cup and will be a credit to his new club.

"Having never been based outside Wales, this will be an exciting adventure for him.

"I believe he would like to return to Wales and we'd be delighted to talk to him in the future about him coming home to the Llanelli Scarlets." Peel, who has been struggling with a shoulder injury, was named in Wales' 28-man squad for this season's Six Nations championship on Monday.

[/b]

Awesome! I think he'll do well at Sale, although Wigglesworth playing second to him will not benefit England (then again, Sale's coach is French, so he won't care :D).

Well the rumourmill also says Foden or Wigglesworth will be winging their way down to Northampton to link up with Jim Mallinder. Personally I would be delighted if we stole them both, that way we could definately get rid of Ian Vass.

That's funny that he uses the argument I wanted to go to a foreign country when speaking of England... What an adventurous player!

The "foreign country" was probably an excuse, his career had gone stagnant at the Scarlets, but he didn't want to upset the fans by saying the region isn't good enough. Saying that, he's played as consistent as the region has been all year, crap. So a move to a better region will do him good.

Sale isn't a region, it's a club. ;)

We don't 'ave no time for them fancy foreign ideas o'er this side o' the border.

Does anyone hear many, many notes being counted out on the table?

I think Peel knows he's not got the no.1 slot for long in Wales and so is gonna try and pull in as much money as he can, coz the lad's not getting any younger.
Plus scarlets are shite this season.

He said (and so did Phil Davies) that he's getting roughly a little more than he got at Llanelli.
I don't think he's going for money, perhaps to play with a decent pack of forwards and be coached by a decent set-up. Charlie Hodgson won't mind having him around, especially if he distributes well.

Erm...no, because Peel's not getting younger and he's going off the boil...

But hey, don't worry, not everyone can spot the obvious.

Seeing whats coming with Mike Phillips, considering the guy can't even protect the ball from marauding Japanese midgets...I can only see epic fail resulting from Mr Phillips.

There's more to Mike Phillips than the display you saw at the world cup.
I would much prefer Peel than Phillips and i hold my hand up and say that quite happilyand honestly, but let's face the facts, Peel hasn't been good for some time now.

From what I see, at least Phillips, is making an impact in the places the Peel no longer does.
Plus, being the next strongest on the Welsh team behind Gethin Jenkins, Phillips is just like a ninth forward. Sometimes a bad thing, but also sometimes a very good thing.

Erm...no, because Peel's not getting younger and he's going off the boil...

But hey, don't worry, not everyone can spot the obvious.
[/b]

Yeh, which is why Phillipe Saint Andre has just bought him with a £250,000 (£70,000 more than Phillips' £180,000, might I add) a year contract lasting two years. I guess some people have an eye for potential. :bleh!:

Plus, being the next strongest on the Welsh team behind Gethin Jenkins, Phillips is just like a ninth forward. Sometimes a bad thing, but also sometimes a very good thing.
[/b]
Since when was a scrum-half being like a forward a good thing? If the eight players in front of him aren't giving Peel the ball properly, then there's no point blaming him when he has a bad game. The only time I've seen him play bad was against Fiji, where his decision-making was abysmal.
Since Gatland is going to 'toughen up' our forwards, Peel should play better again, and his move to Sale next year is going to benefit his game.
*Awaits, "Keep dreaming!" reply*.

I agree with that Mr Speedy (btw, why have you ditched the Scarlets for the Blues). Peel is the better player, Philips has the potential to be better, but his decision making and that bloody step before passing is letting him down. Peel has been off for some time, but playing behind an abysmal Scarlets and Welsh pack is making it impossible for him.

But that's exactly where Philips comes into his own, behind a pack going backwards, it's still a tough job, but he handles it better than Peel (due to his size and strength) therefore he should have been ahead of peel lately and if the pack doesn't improve, I'd put him ahead for this six nations.

Latest posts