• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Will we see McCaw play in the AB jersey again?

Will McCaw Play for the ABs again?

• Yes

Votes: 10 40.0%
  • No

Votes: 15 60.0%

• Total voters

ABs2011

First XV
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Hurricanes
The question on everyones lips post the RWC. It wont be long before we know so what do you reckon?

Will McCaw announce his retirement from test rugby? or do you think he will be back in black?

Last edited:
I'm not sure, he's not named in any of the Super squads, so I took that as an indication that he's probably retiring

I don't think we will for two reasons:

1. What better way to go out. Not many sportsman get to go out on such a high note. He's won everything and to go on any longer could tarnish his legacy a tiny bit. This way he will be immortalised; not that he wouldn't be anyway.

2. By continuing, he'll only be doing it for himself and not the team and that doesn't seem like McCaw's ethos at all. He's always put the team first. Plus he would continue to block the likes of Sam Cane, Matt Todd and Ardie Savea's path to the team and giving certainly the latter valuable experience.

1. What better way to go out. Not many sportsman get to go out on such a high note. He's won everything and to go on any longer could tarnish his legacy a tiny bit. This way he will be immortalised; not that he wouldn't be anyway.

2. By continuing, he'll only be doing it for himself and not the team and that doesn't seem like McCaw's ethos at all. He's always put the team first. Plus he would continue to block the likes of Sam Cane, Matt Todd and Ardie Savea's path to the team and giving certainly the latter valuable experience.

This is an important point for me as well. It feels like it's probably someone else's time. Sam Cane has done everything you want as an understudy - would be a bit rough for him to go another year knowing it will limit others chances. He blocked Masoe, Holah, Braid etc from all having great international careers - but that was at least because it was his time.

That said - I wouldn't be totally against another season for him. I guess he's earned going out whatever way he wants to (and I would like to see him hit 150 games).

The All Blacks are losing many players with vast experience after this cup, enough to damage the team in my opinion. I know almost all the replacements have significant test game-time, but to be honest, I'm not sure how well they'd all do as a large new incoming combination at once. Sam Cane is ready for most things, but it didn't take much to see that he wasn't great against South Africa in that semi. Having him alongside 5 other new regulars will be hard to make become a cohesive unit. Combinations have to work.

If McCaw was to have another season as a transitioning phase, with Cane getting much more game time, (perhaps having Richie come off the bench in some games of lesser concern rather than start) it'd be a good idea. You can't say goodbye to all of that experience from so many players and expect to have a World Cup defended as well as it was last time.

I would love to see McCaw hang around for one more season, just cause I could never get enough of seeing the GOAT running around the field. But saying that I would hate to see the great man take anymore damage to his body. I can only imagine how beat up he feels (and will feel once retired) 148 tests on. But he deserves to go out on his terms.

I don't think he will be blocking the path for any up and comers. If they're good enough they will make the team, if they don't it's because they're not.

Why is there not an option for "who cares" ?

I'm not sure, he's not named in any of the Super squads, so I took that as an indication that he's probably retiring

I dont think thats an issue. Tew sad if he wants to stay they will find a way to make that happen. In terms of it being an indication? who knows, it doesnt sound like he has made a decision yet, even his dad didnt seem to know (on the TV last night).

#1 may well be the case. #2 though? Nah mate I dont think that would be the case what so ever. The guy is battered and bruised beyond belief and has achieved everything in the game. If he signed on for more I think it would be the biggsest indication that he was doing it ALL for the team. The reason I want him to stay is to hel transition us from th '15 model to the '16 mondel which is going to lose a crazy amount of experience! Perhpas more eperience lost from one game to another in any international rugby team in history!! (I havent got the numbers on that but I'd be suprised if a team has lost more test caps from one season to the next than what the ABs are about to lose).

ALso on #2, if he does come back I hope he would play the bulk of the games from the bench. In fact I'd be dissapointed if he didnt. Cane and Todd need the game time.

- - - Updated - - -

The All Blacks are losing many players with vast experience after this cup, enough to damage the team in my opinion. I know almost all the replacements have significant test game-time, but to be honest, I'm not sure how well they'd all do as a large new incoming combination at once. Sam Cane is ready for most things, but it didn't take much to see that he wasn't great against South Africa in that semi. Having him alongside 5 other new regulars will be hard to make become a cohesive unit. Combinations have to work.

If McCaw was to have another season as a transitioning phase, with Cane getting much more game time, (perhaps having Richie come off the bench in some games of lesser concern rather than start) it'd be a good idea. You can't say goodbye to all of that experience from so many players and expect to have a World Cup defended as well as it was last time.

Bit harsh on Cane no? It was just that one (maybe 2) handling error(s) that was poor, otherwise he is usually a pretty darn good player. Not sure we can judge him too harshly by a few inutes off the bench v SA and one or two handling errors in the pouring rain can we? He is clearly not great yet, but that will take time and I reckon he will get there.

Last edited:
Bit harsh on Cane no? It was just that one handling error that was poor, otherwise he is a pretty darn good player. Not sure we can judge him too harshly by a few minutes off the bench and one or two handling errors in the pouring rain can we?

I don't judge him too harshly. He has had many great games, he's one of my favourite up and coming players, I even suggested that he could start and Richie come off the bench, which would be great knowing you had that there. It wasn't one ball spilling handling error, it was two, he wasn't able to be first man there at many breakdowns, didn't look like he was contesting many and he had an average one overall. He didn't come on in the World Cup Final despite Read having a poor one and Cane being as capable as Vito, who did come on, I think Hansen knew he could've done better against South Africa. It was raining for everyone.

I think he just hasn't had enough time under the intense pressure yet. He's got it in him, no doubt, just needs more opportunity. Not all of it, I don't think he's quite good enough for that yet.

I don't judge him too harshly. He has had many great games, he's one of my favourite up and coming players, I even suggested that he could start and Richie come off the bench, which would be great knowing you had that there. It wasn't one ball spilling handling error, it was two, he wasn't able to be first man there at many breakdowns, didn't look like he was contesting many and he had an average one overall. He didn't come on in the World Cup Final despite Read having a poor one and Cane being as capable as Vito, who did come on, I think Hansen knew he could've done better against South Africa. It was raining for everyone.

I think he just hasn't had enough time under the intense pressure yet. He's got it in him, no doubt, just needs more opportunity. Not all of it, I don't think he's quite good enough for that yet.

I think jury is laregly out on Cane at international level simply because he hasnt had a great deal of time there to show what he can do. But as you say, people that have followed his career know he is capable enough. I wouldnt put too much emphasis on his few minutes against SA. That was basically my point. In fairness I didnt pay too much attention to his game, all I recall was that very poor TO he conceded, but again, a few poor minutes is not indicative of where he is at overall IMO.

He has some time to decide.

I guess it depends on what he wants.

He could have 1 more season in him to transition to the next in line.

but again, a few poor minutes is not indicative of where he is at overall IMO.

Yeah for sure. I think Cane is considerably better than he showed in that 10-12 that he had against South Africa. Was surprised he or Vito weren't on for Read sooner. Read himself was having a sub-par knockout stage at best. As it stands he didn't get on at all, which was a bit harsh. It'll probably give him some hunger for 4 years down the track to be sure.

I don't think he will. He's achieved everything he possibly could. There isn't a better way to bow out than captaining a side to a back to back world cup win.

Hope he stays involved in New Zealand rugby and the All Blacks though.

I don't think he will. He's achieved everything he possibly could. There isn't a better way to bow out than captaining a side to a back to back world cup win.

Hope he stays involved in New Zealand rugby and the All Blacks though.

The only thing he hasn't achieved is captaining the All Blacks through a Lions Tour. Despite the age that Brad Thorn, Victor Matfield and others have been, it might be a stretch getting two more years out of him though.

I think he should at least get to the 150 International Caps mark. And next year there is a fixture in Christchurch against the Springboks during the Rugby Championship. That would be the perfect send-off for him.

I think he should at least get to the 150 International Caps mark. And next year there is a fixture in Christchurch against the Springboks during the Rugby Championship. That would be the perfect send-off for him.

I can imagine that your guys would love to get their hands on him one last time and perhaps deny him in a big one in his home town. That'd be pretty cool.

I can imagine that your guys would love to get their hands on him one last time and perhaps deny him in a big one in his home town. That'd be pretty cool.

I think it's more about respect towards Sir Richie.

And he's one of the few stars of world rugby that hasn't been persuaded by the lucrative offers of the Northern Hemisphere. It just makes me think that he would like to end his career in front of his home crowd, and at the stadium where he made a name for himself (and most probably will get a stand named after him).

I have a feeling he will do the Lions tour and blood a few players.

I think it's more about respect towards Sir Richie.

And he's one of the few stars of world rugby that hasn't been persuaded by the lucrative offers of the Northern Hemisphere. It just makes me think that he would like to end his career in front of his home crowd, and at the stadium where he made a name for himself (and most probably will get a stand named after him).

Unfortunately that stadium damaged beyond repair :(

Latest posts