• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Willie Mason is back...

TRF_melon

Country Flag
Australia
Club or Nation
Thor
FAIL

What the hell are you thinking, Wayne Bennett? I suppose Willie will only be given a call up if he shows he is ready and he is on a rather low base rate with match payments as well as the fact that he is returning "home" to his junior playing days so he may just have a fair ol' crack.

Please prove me wrong.

Otherwise, GTFO.

He does add character to the game though!

Courtesy of NRL.com
Wayne Bennett's desperation to turn Newcastle into a NRL force has resulted in the Knights becoming the fourth club in less than two years to offer controversial forward Willie Mason a lifeline.

Mason will begin life as a Knight when he trains with his new teammates on Thursday, and could start his bid to get back in the top grade this weekend with Newcastle's NSW Cup outfit.

Despite an impressive recruitment drive ahead of his first campaign with the club, Bennett has failed to replicate the immediate success he had with St George Illawarra in 2009 at Newcastle this year.

Central to that has been a lack of muscle up front, with Bennett pinning his hopes on 32-year-old Mason - who hasn't played in the NRL since 2010 - to help turn the Knights' fortunes around.

"I am grateful that Wayne and the club have shown confidence in me to contribute to the club and I will not be wasting the opportunity to not only perform on the field but to contribute to the Knights' strong community programs," Mason said in a statement released by the club.

"I am aware that I still have plenty of hard work ahead of me to earn a spot in the NRL team.

"It is great to be home and playing in front of my family, friends and the Newcastle community. I can't wait to run out for my first game in the famous Knights colours."

His signing with the Knights ends months of speculation over Mason's future, after he was heavily linked to the injury-ravaged Wests Tigers last month.

The decision to bring in Mason - a Newcastle junior - represents a massive gamble by the Knights given the former Test and NSW State of Origin forward's history of off-field indiscretions and long time out of the game.

He last played in the NRL with North Queensland in 2010, before he was cut six games into a three-year deal with English Super League side Hull Kingston Rovers.

A switch to French rugby union club Toulon also lasted just two pre-season trials and one Top 14 premiership game, but Knights chief executive Matt Gidley claimed Mason still had something to offer in the NRL.

"We are pleased to be able to offer Willie an opportunity to re-establish his rugby league career back in his home town," Gidley said.

"Willie's experience and physical traits will bring confidence to our current squad, particularly our emerging players for which we have very high hopes.

"This is another example of bringing local talent back to Newcastle and a philosophy we will continue to promote throughout our rugby league community."

While Mason has been training on his own since returning to Australia earlier this year, it could be some weeks before Bennett calls him up to the NRL.

Another turncoat. Maybe Tamou looks at this as a glimpse to the future? :lol:

Big Willie certainly lives up to his nickname; I can't think of a player who is a bigger dick in either code.

It's his last chance, maybe he'll use that motivation to make a big impact. At least that's what some people are saying.

Or it wont work, who knows.

Latest posts