• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wilson, Dowd shown the door at Harbour

northharbour

Academy Player
Country Flag
New Zealand
High-profile North Harbour co-coaches Geoff Wilson and Craig Dowd have been sacked with a year remaining on their contracts.

The former All Blacks have paid the price for their 11th placed finish in this year's national provincial championship, which followed a 12th-placed campaign when the pair first came together in 2009.

The North Harbour board lost patience with the results and voted unanimously last night to seek a coaching change.

Chief executive Brett Hollister said the position will be advertised and the union's gaze will extend offshore.

"Who would know whether the options are going to be limited to New Zealand," he told Radio Sport.

"We're committed to getting the very best person to get the best out of the player group that we've got."

Both Dowd and Wilson had performance clauses written into their contracts, meaning the union won't have to pay out on their final year. The union had targetted a top-seven finish.

Anthony Boric, one of two North Harbour players on tour with the All Blacks -- alongside prop Tony Woodcock -- was saddened to learn of Dowd and Wilson's demise.

"It's disappointing for them, and us, to hear that news. It's happened very quickly," he said today.

"Obviously I've played a couple of games for Harbour this year and saw how passionate they were about the team.

"I think they're good coaches it's just a shame the way players performed hasn't helped their cause at all."

Former Auckland prop Dowd and Otago winger Wilson both played 60 tests in careers that closely mirrored each other.

They made their test debuts in 1993 and scaled great heights playing for their country through the remainder of that decade.

Poor Graig and Goldie.

Well good players doesnt always make good coaches. Im not saying they wernt good coaches because I dont know how they really went in their job as coach. I just wanted to point out that saying.

I do feel sorry for them but they really didn't achieve what they could have. Harbour boast lots of talented players (Anthony Boric, Ben Afeaki, Michael Harris, Matt Luamanu and lots more) and they should have got better than 11th.

Just hope the new coach they get will get them into the top 7 where they should be :p

Matt Luamanu impressed me this ITM. He's very strong and robust, reminds me of Toutai Kefu a bit.

Do you think Mike Harris will come back next year and play for N Harbour since hes gone to Aussie to play for the reds?

Latest posts