• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wilson staying in the black, green and gold

B

Bullitt

Wilson, 28, has been one of the most consistent performers for the Saints since his arrival at the club. The Irish international number eight has missed out on just 10 games out of the 55 games the team has played since he joined from Ulster in the summer of 2008, and he has been one of the lynchpins of the side that has stormed to the top four of the Guinness Premiership.

In his 45 appearances to date he has scored four tries.

A European Challenge Cup winner in 2009, Wilson has also played in two Churchill Cups for Ireland 'A' as well as for the Irish national team in 2005, when he became the third generation of his family to win full international honours.

Director of rugby Jim Mallinder says that Wilson is an important player for the Saints squad.

"Roger's qualities are apparent every time he plays," he said. "He provides a focus for the players around him, getting over the gain line and being in the right place at the right time. He has a good relationship with the other back rowers and scrum-halves, and brings confidence to the team.

"At 28 he is in his prime and everyone at the club is delighted that he is staying with us."

Wilson meanwhile says that he is delighted to be staying at Franklin's Gardens for the foreseeable future.

"I'm really settled here and am enjoying my rugby," he said. "It's great to be a part of a club with ambition and a high work ethic. The improvements have been remarkable over the two years I have been here. I came here because I thought we could compete in big competitions and we are. It is great that we have qualified for the quarter finals of the Heineken Cup, which is a first for me.

"I've got lots of respect for the coaches, the time and effort they put in, their expertise and the environment they have created. We have a young squad with quality players who work hard and if we keep improving at the same rate we have been there is no reason why we can't become one of the top teams in Europe."

http://www.northamptonsaints.co.uk/3831_6361.php

-------------------------------------------------

Was neither here nor there about Best tbh (he's good, but can go absent), but Wilson staying on is a huge relief. He's been immense ever since joining the club - If he had any links to Munster I'm sure that Kidney would have shown some interest in him by now.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bullitt @ Jan 29 2010, 08:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
If he had any links to Munster I'm sure that Kidney would have shown some interest in him by now.[/b]
To an extent I agree. Wilson is good enough to play internationally but he's a long way off the Ireland 8 jersey. When Wilson was playing for Ulster he was a distant 3rd choice number 8 in the international pecking order. Now Jamie Heaslip is a far better player than him while Denis Leamy, when on form, offers more. With Chris Henry making waves for Ulster and David Wallace also capable of slipping into the 8 spot, Wilson likely won't play for Ireland again. That's great news for Northampton since he won't miss chunks of the season on international duty.

Latest posts