Windows 10

Feicarsinn

Super Αdmin
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Leinster
Anyone using it yet? Put the preview copy on my laptop today and aside from a few minor bugs it runs really well. It's pretty much a nice mix of the good features from 7 and 8.

Yeah, been using it for 6 months or more. I like it, shaping up to be very nice. The preview version has been through some ups and downs along the way, but seems like it's starting to come together nicely now. As is always the case with windows it seems, it's what 8 should have been tbf.

Some features are still lacking atm, and be prepared for a constant stream of updates which re-sets everything to a state like upgrading an OS from 7 to 8 (or similar). The one thing I don't really like are the icon style they've chosen to use. I'm a fan of simple and minimalism, but the icons in 10 with the axonometric projection are pretty ugly imo.

Not sure the virtual desktop (task view) function is useful enough either. I used Dexpot for a while in uni when I was doing a lot of mutitasking (AutoCAD, 3ds Max, Photoshop etc.), and it was far more powerful with the ability of setting up different desktops for different programs, different wallpapers etc. I don't think MS need to offer something quite so complex, but I haven't used task view once yet in 10, as it's a bit too basic for me. Saying that, I spend very little time at my home pc anymore, and rarely multitask in the way I did in uni.

Project Spartan is one of the biggest new features added recently to the preview builds. Looks promising, but still lacking in comparison to Chrome (my preferred browser). It lacks the ability to pull tabs in and out of a window, a feature I use all the time. It doesn't allow multiple pages to open on start-up, a feature I find useful. I also miss the ability to set a separate homepage. Plug in support is obviously lacking, but something which will likely improve quickly once it's officially released (I only use two, lastpass and ad blocker pro). I think it's sensible from MS to move away from the much hated (by some) IE, and it looks like they're on the right path with spartan at least.

For anyone that's interested. Windows 7 and 8 users will be eligible for a free upgrade to Windows 10 when it's released. Can't remember how long they're running the deal for (I have 6 months in my head), so I'd suggest everyone jumps at the chance, because unlike Windows 8 which really split opinions, windows 10 will feel familiar and comfortable for all, with the start menu back and the option of the full start screen.

Yeah, been using it for 6 months or more. I like it, shaping up to be very nice. The preview version has been through some ups and downs along the way, but seems like it's starting to come together nicely now. As is always the case with windows it seems, it's what 8 should have been tbf.

Some features are still lacking atm, and be prepared for a constant stream of updates which re-sets everything to a state like upgrading an OS from 7 to 8 (or similar). The one thing I don't really like are the icon style they've chosen to use. I'm a fan of simple and minimalism, but the icons in 10 with the axonometric projection are pretty ugly imo.

Not sure the virtual desktop (task view) function is useful enough either. I used Dexpot for a while in uni when I was doing a lot of mutitasking (AutoCAD, 3ds Max, Photoshop etc.), and it was far more powerful with the ability of setting up different desktops for different programs, different wallpapers etc. I don't think MS need to offer something quite so complex, but I haven't used task view once yet in 10, as it's a bit too basic for me. Saying that, I spend very little time at my home pc anymore, and rarely multitask in the way I did in uni.

Project Spartan is one of the biggest new features added recently to the preview builds. Looks promising, but still lacking in comparison to Chrome (my preferred browser). It lacks the ability to pull tabs in and out of a window, a feature I use all the time. It doesn't allow multiple pages to open on start-up, a feature I find useful. I also miss the ability to set a separate homepage. Plug in support is obviously lacking, but something which will likely improve quickly once it's officially released (I only use two, lastpass and ad blocker pro). I think it's sensible from MS to move away from the much hated (by some) IE, and it looks like they're on the right path with spartan at least.

For anyone that's interested. Windows 7 and 8 users will be eligible for a free upgrade to Windows 10 when it's released. Can't remember how long they're running the deal for (I have 6 months in my head), so I'd suggest everyone jumps at the chance, because unlike Windows 8 which really split opinions, windows 10 will feel familiar and comfortable for all, with the start menu back and the option of the full start screen.

Its for the first 12 months as far as Im aware and it begins end of this month I think

I'm having real issues getting this. I see no prompt at all anywhere to upgrade, Ive checked online and it seems to be dependant on Windows Update working, which mine doesn't and hasn't for a while.

I'll wait a while and then decide if I want to change from win7 to win10. I just reinstalled the operating system the other week because the computer was running slow so I'm in no rush to change over.

I read that win10 will also give hardware a big performance boost, especially when gaming due to the new API, Directx 12. It seem the current multi threaded CPUs are not even close to being maxed out!!

Tried that, all that happens is a box pops up saying "something happened". Ironic as nothing helpful did happen

Totally different subject lads. But on my laptop I can't put cd roms in as it won't read them. It says INF file is not same. But this has only started happening in last few days. Can anyone advise me as when I google it I get some mad answers

Step-by-step guide:
1. Don't use CDs
2. Download everything

:p

I updated last night, it's great. You don't need to back anything it up, it does it for you, then copies the files just the way everything was before you updated.

Totally different subject lads. But on my laptop I can't put cd roms in as it won't read them. It says INF file is not same. But this has only started happening in last few days. Can anyone advise me as when I google it I get some mad answers

I cant advise as my Sony Vaio does not have a cd drive!! As much as I miss it, it is does not half make it lighter for travel!!

For back up or anything else I use a detachable hard drive through USB port...............

Try rolling back to a previous driver. If it's only stopped working in the last couple of days and nothing has happened to the hardware there's every chance a driver update buggered it for some reason.

Inf files are used to store driver info, so o think that's a good shout feic.

If you have windows recovery running, you could try reverting to a previous checkpoint when you were certain it was working munstermuffin. Failing that, have a look of there's a newer driver available online.

Im going to hold off Windows 10 until Ive had my laptop looked at. This issue coupled by the iphone sync issue leads me to believe something beyond my and google's help is wrong with it.

My team installed Win10 Pro on our work machines today as testers, really like it, only spent about 20 minutes with it but feels way more natural than Windows 8.

home i'm still on 7, so holding off for now.... to many things i'm unsure of compatibility, but generally it looks and works really nicely.

I notice that MS have completely skipped over "Windows 9".

I wonder if that is an effort to distance themselves from the utter train-wreck that was Windows 8?

Latest posts