• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wing to Scrum Half

C

ckuxmann

I am transitioning from wing to scrum half.
I play for a high school team in the US.
I was wondering if anyone had any pointers as to anything.
I started as scrum half for freshman year but was moved to the wing.

Thanks
Cody

think as your main priority distribution don't worry about getting in the thick of it as much and worry more about getting the ball out clean

Don't run into the center of the field when you get the ball, I did that today when they put me on the wing, got speartackled and stuffed my shoulder.

erm, the best thing to do is if you are on the wing, do what the lilkes of Shane Williams and Brian Habana do. Drift in as a dummy half and give your scrum half the chance to run the ball from the base of the ruck/scrum, the you are in the position of scrum half. The keep your eye on where everyone is, if you've got guys on your team ready to support dart ahead again and give the scrum half the chance to get himself to his feet to recover his duties. The a couple of phases later you'll be on your wing again, and you might have made ground. Or you could pass it out as your hands get better on your left and right side. That's more or less what my coach told me when I was playing wing, although I'm a big lad, so he was more concerned with driving the ball through the smaller backrow/scrum halves, not so much the passing.

Sorry when i ment transition, i ment playing scrum half instead of wing.

This is all very good insight that I can now give to the team

Thanks
Cody

Obviously since you've played wing, you are pretty fast, can run and can catch the ball, so you got those skills. Now playing scrumhalf, passing is the key area you need to work on. Accuracy and speed of the pass from the ruck/scrum. Communication with your flyhalf/1st 5 is important too because the link between scrum and flyhalf is vital i.e. better pass to flyhalf better it is for backline. also you need to command your forwards around i.e. like in a maul telling players where to bind and where to push forward same as ruck i suppose. Snoop area the ruck, if the flank is not protected, sell a dummy and go through the gap because you should have the gas.

just some basics hope that helps.

thanks alot guys

It is really a challenge so far. The one thing i'm worried about is the speed of getting the ball out of the scrum.
On Sunday next week we go up against a really tough team #3 in the state i think. They play #1 on saterday so it should be equallizing.

Thanks again
Cody

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ckuxmann @ Mar 8 2009, 05:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
thanks alot guys

It is really a challenge so far. The one thing i'm worried about is the speed of getting the ball out of the scrum.
On Sunday next week we go up against a really tough team #3 in the state i think. They play #1 on saterday so it should be equallizing.

Thanks again
Cody[/b]

Watch some videos of top level Scrum-half passing techniques - it's all one motion from picking up the ball, to giving the pass - you shouldn't need to take any steps, as this slows the pass, and allows the defence to come up on your backline. Also, the best way to put speed on the ball is through weight shift - as you pick it up, put wieght onto your back foot, then shift wieght to your front foot as you give the pass. If you do that right, then your passes should fly. Practice diving passing, too - trust me, it will come in handy at some point when you've got the whole of the back row bearing down on you.

Latest posts