• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Winter excercices

B

bates

Hi guys,

In my country the weather is crap 95% of the time, just like in the UK.
During winter I swim a lot, some biking and weights, but owing to freezing temperatures, a lot of rain, some snow, ice and wind I always stop running till March.

My first running sessions is always killing, after 2 km I have to stop and it takes me like 2 weeks to get back in shape.

Any good tips to maintain the condition during winter.

Thnx

I live in northern Canada so we get a lot of snow in the winter, I do a lot of running through knee deep snow and chop a lot of firewood for our wood stove. I'm sure that sounds like a cliche but it's the truth.

You could buy a treadmill if you have the money. While yes they can be extremely boring, they're also programable and can keep your conditioning at a good level.

I was thinking of doing more biking and swimming.
The problem I faced this year is that owing to the weather/climate curcumstances they close the track and the forrest is too far away :(

Anyway, if it stays nice weather till October I can start running again in March :D

There are no small local gyms with treadmills or cardio machines in your area?

Do what i do. Go to gym and whack the treadmill In front of some local rugby on TV. HAHA. It's always better and more fun to run in the streets and stuff, but the gym isn't too bad. After every session i do weight training, and it does wonders for your muscle growth and fitness. In 2 months now my biceps measure at 42cm, from 34cm, so it really does work. Another nice thing is a heated pool. Even in summer i choose to swim at the gym.

Was considering of taking a membershipcard for our local gym, going 2 -3 times a week.

We have 2 who are very nice, will compare prices and take the best one :)