• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

With order restored at the top of the table - Guinness Pro12: R17

For 40 minutes, Scarlets were the best team I've seen Leinster play all season, dominating the breakdown. Then Leinster turned the afterburners on.

The Dublin based team are developing some quality depth and playing some breathtaking, attacking rugby. They've now scored 107 tries in 23 games this season. They've broken the single season Pro12 try scoring record with 5 games still to play.

The 2013/14 and 2014/15 seasons of vomit inducing, negative rugby have been put to rest thankfully. Leo Cullen, Girvan Dempsey, John Fogarty and Stuart Lancaster have done a terrific job in promoting youth and having the team play with style.

Thought Ross Byrne was excellent last night. He's come on leaps and bounds since the beginning of this season. His pin point accurate cross kicks are a hell of a weapon.

For 40 minutes, Scarlets were the best team I've seen Leinster play all season, dominating the breakdown. Then Leinster turned the afterburners on.

How much of that was due to the weather though? Scarlets really struggled with the wind in their faces in the second half, something Leinster made to look easy in the first half. Defensively Scarlets were quite passive, allowing Leinster to run before kicking, Leinster gave Scarlets no time at all in the second half and with them unable to get any distance with their kicking game, Leinster forced them to play way behind the gain-line and ultimately give up possession. Scarlets simply couldn't escape their half in that second half.

Thought Leinster were class all night. If the Scarlets wanted a chance of winning that game, they would have had to go in at half time with a considerable lead. They had their chances to score a couple of try's, and also let in a couple of soft try's in that first half.

Anyone else think that D.T.H has seriously gone off the boil for the Scarlets? Leinster exposed him all evening. Wasn't even in shot for some of those cross kicks that lead to easy try's for Leinster.

Funniest moment of the night was surely when the Scarlets tried an Italy by poring past the tackle, only for McGrath to pick and go close to the ruck and make 40m!

The Dublin based team are developing some quality depth and playing some breathtaking, attacking rugby. They've now scored 107 tries in 23 games this season. They've broken the single season Pro12 try scoring record with 5 games still to play.

The 2013/14 and 2014/15 seasons of vomit inducing, negative rugby have been put to rest thankfully. Leo Cullen, Girvan Dempsey, John Fogarty and Stuart Lancaster have done a terrific job in promoting youth and having the team play with style.

Thought Ross Byrne was excellent last night. He's come on leaps and bounds since the beginning of this season. His pin point accurate cross kicks are a hell of a weapon.

Who do you think will be the better 10 between Byrne and Carbery, I'm starting to think Byrne will be when he gets more comfortable attacking the line, if Carbery could put a few kilos on he'd be a great 15 or Giteau type 12 in my opinion.

How much of that was due to the weather though?
Perhaps it played a part. James Davies going off also played a part as I felt he was excellent in the first half. Scarlets had won 12 of their previous 13 Pro12 games (I'm lead to believe) which speaks volumes for Leinster's attacking threat in putting them to the sword.

Can't speak for DTH van der Merwe's form but Ross Byrne does that almost every game. He's lethal with his crossfield kicks. If opponent's defend narrowly, he'll kick it straight into his wingers arms. If they're too spaced out in defence, Joey Carbery comes into play as second receiver and cuts teams open.

Hope Carbery doesn't fall in to jack of all trades bill. Agree though Byrne looking the better 10

Who do you think will be the better 10 between Byrne and Carbery, I'm starting to think Byrne will be when he gets more comfortable attacking the line, if Carbery could put a few kilos on he'd be a great 15 or Giteau type 12 in my opinion.
It's a brilliant position to be in having such quality options.

Ross Byrne took a year to settle into u20s rugby before looking excellent in his second year at that level. He looked all at sea in his first few games for Leinster last season and also this season. As he's played more games, he's grown in confidence. Since the turn of the year he's been entrusted with goal kicking duty and has nailed 30 conversions in 7 games. He seems the type of player who takes a while to bed in, but once he does he can command a game. He's got a great boot and good passing game but lacks a yard of pace and isn't a threat to break the line.

It's very hard to pick flaws in Joey Carbery's attacking game. He's a constant line breaking threat, runs great support lines and seems to have a huge amount of time on the ball contributing to a superb array of passing. His tackling is quite good too. He's a capable goal kicker but that area of his game needs work.

For the moment, Leinster are going about it correctly in getting both players on the field. It's noticable in attack that Carbery is often at first receiver and playing more like another 10 than a 15. You could say that Carbery is the more exciting player but Leinster are scoring a phenomenal number of tries with Byrne quarterbacking the team too. I think ultimately Carbery will be the better player because he can do everything Byrne has in his arsenal with added line breaking threat. Byrne though is also a future international and I wouldn't be at all surprised if he toured USA/Japan this summer with Ireland.

- - - Updated - - -

Hope Carbery doesn't fall in to jack of all trades bill. Agree though Byrne looking the better 10
How would you rank the Irish options at 10 right now? I'd go:
Sexton
Jackson
Carbery
Byrne
Keatley
Madigan
Carty

Snoop at present I'd have it like you but rate Carbery and Byrne very close with a "horses for courses" approach.
I think Byrne has the better kicking game and is the better guy for a wet or messy night where 10 man rugby required. Carbery for the 15 man game. I think Blenyendaal will be around them too come Jan.
My fear is just I hope Carbery isn't constantly pushed around positions and doesn't fulfil his potential as a result. Like for now I've no issue in Carbery playing 15 as he does offer alot there and reminds me of how we used Paul Warwick in the past. But like don't want hime constantly going between 10 12 and 15.
I think Byrne and Carbery will both play in summer tour for Ireland and deservedly so.

Latest posts