• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Worcester Takeover?

GarethGriffiths

Academy Player
Heard about this on ShedWeb.

Edward Griffiths and Gary Gold (sound like an 80s Synth Duo) mentioned as an interested party.

Does this mean that Sir Cecil is standing down?

The official line is that we're only looking to recruit more investment into the club but I don't think many people believe it. If there is going to be a sale I just hope it happens quickly & the uncertainty doesn't drag on all season.

Same here, Cheryl, the aborted Altrad deal went on for way too long at Kingsholm.

I did hear that one party bidding on Worcester wanted to bring Worcester City FC to Sixways as well? I know that David Boddy royally screwed them (and Anthony Hampson seems to be fiddling whilst the club burns) but Boddy made noises towards Sixways being used for both rugby and football before he left to work at Newport County.

Would this be acceptable for Warriors fans - to have a now Midland League/Step 5 club playing at Sixways?

Same here, Cheryl, the aborted Altrad deal went on for way too long at Kingsholm.

I did hear that one party bidding on Worcester wanted to bring Worcester City FC to Sixways as well? I know that David Boddy royally screwed them (and Anthony Hampson seems to be fiddling whilst the club burns) but Boddy made noises towards Sixways being used for both rugby and football before he left to work at Newport County.

Would this be acceptable for Warriors fans - to have a now Midland League/Step 5 club playing at Sixways?

Can't say I've heard that rumour but I wouldn't have anything against it, makes sense to use Sixways as much as possible. There has been talk of new ownership possibly relocating the Warriors to Birmingham but I obviously would hope it doesn't come to that - we are the WORCESTER Warriors & this isn't American football.

If the club does end up being bought, I hope it's because somebody sees our potential & wants to maximise it. We're a 'sleeping giant' in rugby terms with our supporter base, no doubt we've underachieved in recent years. Hopefully exciting times ahead...

Can't say I've heard that rumour but I wouldn't have anything against it, makes sense to use Sixways as much as possible. There has been talk of new ownership possibly relocating the Warriors to Birmingham but I obviously would hope it doesn't come to that - we are the WORCESTER Warriors & this isn't American football.

If the club does end up being bought, I hope it's because somebody sees our potential & wants to maximise it. We're a 'sleeping giant' in rugby terms with our supporter base, no doubt we've underachieved in recent years. Hopefully exciting times ahead...

Totally against franchises so wouldn't want another Wasps relocation occurring but I have to disagree with the sleeping giant statement I'm afraid!

Totally against franchises so wouldn't want another Wasps relocation occurring but I have to disagree with the sleeping giant statement I'm afraid!

When I say 'sleeping giant' I don't mean that I expect us to suddenly be Leicester or Toulon, just that we aren't making the best of what we could be. We have a proven supporter base to rival most, Sixways used to sell out almost every week with a semi-competitive team. Bristol are proof that this isn't everything, but it's hard not to look at some of the clubs above us & think we should be achieving more. I'm a big fan of Gary Gold & think maybe if we do get this bit of extra investment then we'll start moving forward. Time will tell!

When I say 'sleeping giant' I don't mean that I expect us to suddenly be Leicester or Toulon, just that we aren't making the best of what we could be. We have a proven supporter base to rival most, Sixways used to sell out almost every week with a semi-competitive team. Bristol are proof that this isn't everything, but it's hard not to look at some of the clubs above us & think we should be achieving more. I'm a big fan of Gary Gold & think maybe if we do get this bit of extra investment then we'll start moving forward. Time will tell!

I get your point. You can on one hand look at what Exeter have done and where they've come from and the other look at Sarries. Both had/have lower gates than yourselves but are now well established in the Champions cup.

In terms of fan base obviously you have Leicester, Saints, Gloucester and Quins leading the way but the likes of Wasps have made jumps showing it can be done. (although im not sure how authentic Wasps figures are when you account for freebies and travelling support).

Hopefully attendances across the board can improve, Particularly Sale.

With regards to Worcester improving, id love to see that as it might encourage the pests to buggar off back down south!

Though there's a rivalry between Glaws and Worcs, I'd like Worcs to kick-on and do well.

A lovely city as well, spent time up there when I was working on secondment in Malvern.

I hate franchises, and do want Worcester to stay in Worcester, but I'd bloody love a top level side in Birmingham.
So convenient/public transport is ace there.
**** it, move Sale there.
Stick them in Villa park so it's just a 15min cans-filled train journey for me to get there :p

I hate franchises, and do want Worcester to stay in Worcester, but I'd bloody love a top level side in Birmingham.
Stick them in Villa park so it's just a 15min cans-filled train journey for me to get there :p

The Shark-Villains

Not too sure that Villa's U23s or Ladies teams would approve!

To the best of my knowledge, they use Villa Park along with Villa's 1st team. The U18s do (or did) use Boldmere's ground for games.

There was enough apoplectic behaviour in these parts when it was mooted that we allow Glaws City to use Kingsholm!

I would like Worcester to stay 'as is' as well. The only change I'd like to see with regards English Rugby POSSIBLY is 14 teams in the top flight, but I'm not precious about it ever happening.

Not too sure that Villa's U23s or Ladies teams would approve!

To the best of my knowledge, they use Villa Park along with Villa's 1st team. The U18s do (or did) use Boldmere's ground for games.

There was enough apoplectic behaviour in these parts when it was mooted that we allow Glaws City to use Kingsholm!

I would like Worcester to stay 'as is' as well. The only change I'd like to see with regards English Rugby POSSIBLY is 14 teams in the top flight, but I'm not precious about it ever happening.

14 teams and no relegation? If so has to be Bristol and Leeds plus the current 12. Don't think there are any others with the capability or desire to be top flight?

As a bluenose, I'd really rather not have Villa Park invading my rugby world! :( Think the matchday experience is awful when rugby teams play at half-empty football grounds as well.

I've thought this for a while as well. There are 14 Premiership sized clubs in England (Current 12 plus Bristol & Leeds) but only 12 spots available, think it would be a positive step to expand. It's the Top 14 & the Pro 14 so why not?

Hopefully a consortium of swingers will buy the invest so that you don't have to change your stadium name.

Birmingham makes more sense than Cov.

Hopefully a consortium of swingers will buy the invest so that you don't have to change your stadium name.

I have never been so relieved to read a thread and discover the name of a stadium.

Is Sixways a place, or a sponsor?

Sixways is named after the 'Six Ways' you can travel from the nearby M5 junction.

A good bit of thought and imagination.

I agree re: Stadium Sponsorship. There was talk that we would be called the Mitsubishi Stadium not long ago - I am just glad Durex is not a sponsor at Kingsholm... Durex Pleasuredome anybody?

As for Championship Teams who could play in the top league, if Nottingham RUFC could get back in with Notts. County (Notts. have new owners) then maybe they could progress upwards. Also, if Millmoor (Rotherham) is re-developed into a sports arena (talk there is that it could be) then Rotherham ***ans could be in line as well.

It'd be nice to see a new team or two in the top flight.

Thinking back to a Worcester City ground-share with Worcester Warriors, would this affect their Academy/Ladies teams or do they use other pitches at Sixways?

Latest posts