• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

workout tips?

TrueSlawter

Bench Player
Country Flag
Wales
Hi there, I've been going to the gym now for almost a year and now progress has slowed alot tried creatine once or twice and will continue that but I want to bulk up a bit more than currently.
Currently I'm a second row for a local team, 6 foot 3 and 14 stone 10, but only goto the gym 2-3 times a week max.. each day working a different area eg - wednesday = chest and biceps, friday = triceps, sholders, sunday = back and legs. Of which I've done for around 8-9 months now and tbh I want a change to what I do, So overall has anyone got any tips or routine's that can help bulking up a bit along with helping with playing second row (note - I dont jump often, mainly a lifter)

Oh and 2 final things, I'm currently suffering with a sholder issue where it moves in and out of the joint now and then when cold or lifiting weights so can't do lots right now going to doctor soon about it.. and then has anyone here tried any of that jack3D stuff? I know a guy at rugby uses it and im thinking of getting some if its any good?

Could you post up your current routine?

Jack3d is (in effect) like having a load of caffeine before hitting the gym - doesn't help build muscle or anything, just gives you a bit more energy/focus in the gym (before crashing hard afterwards)

Currently its mainly as stated with

Wednesday - 20 mins cardio to start on treadmill or bike, then 3 sets of 10 reps on pec deck weight 30/35kg's, 3 sets of 10 reps bicep curls 30-35kg's, 3 sets of 10 reps on another chest machine (cant remember name), 21's with dumbells, bicep curls on dumbells then repeat. sometimes adding in pull ups or dips into it.

Friday - 20 min cardio again treadmill or bike, 3 sets of 10 reps on tricep machine, 3 sets of 10 reps on one of their sholder machines, 3 sets of 10 reps on the other sholder machine, 3 sets of 10 reps for both sholders on3 sets of 10 reps on both pull ups and dips then repeat.

Sunday - 20 min cardio again, 3 sets of 10 reps on quad machine (upper quad), 3 sets of 10 reps on lower quad machine, 3 sets of 10 reps on seated rowing machine (for back), 3 sets of 10 reps on the other various leg based machines (cant remember names) then sit ups and 3 sets of 10 reps on ab's machine and finally then back onto the treadmill for 30-40 mins.

and thanks for the answer with the jack 3D stuff might see if I can have a small bit of the guy inthe team's to give it a shot..

Current one is mainly machines but looking at going to the one in the town over (10 min walk) starting next week with a friend which I hear has a free weights room

Ah right,
Free weights are definitely the way to build strength/muscle efficiently

The machines take out the stabilising muscles/give you a range of motion to move in, so you specifically work one part of your chest/whatever, as opposed to many muscles with the free weights

With free weights you'll want to build a routine around the three main lifts: Bench Press - Squats - Deadlift
Then add in supplementary lifts (shrugs, bent-over rows, calf raises, incline bench, dumbell flyes, overhead press) - and then more advanced lifts for explosive power (power-cleans, and other olympic lifts)

Last edited:
mk thanks for the tips aiming to go there on my day off next week as the two gyms are run by the same people so i get entry for both under 1 card :) will try out some free weights from now on just need to go sort out my shoulder as it can be annoying / painful at times

Yeah, definitely don't overdo it/strain it until it's feeling better, otherwise you could end up doing more damage

Fun fact: Whenever i use the "peck deck" or do pressups, I can feel/hear my right shoulder clicks out/in slightly, but it doesn't hurt in the slightest. It's from when I tried to tackle someone many years ago, and basically did an O'Gara (got into tackling position, and let them run into me, rather than hitting them :p )

haha ouch. I did mine in a game against flint had the ball and fell into someones knee which hit the tip of my shoulder.. I can play with it, lift in lineouts etc fine yet as soon as it comes to heavy weights on bicep curls i can feel it move out, it looks pretty horrible too tbh, you can see the top of the joint where its ment to be then the bone in the top of the arm is around a inch or two lower where its slipped out :/ pops back in instantly but its annoying even more in the cold as when I keep it still when folding my arms it moves in and out alot

There are more ways of working out than you could imagine. Most are effective. Personally, I think you're kind of mixing up your workouts a bit much. For example, why pull-ups on chest day? Pull-ups are primary for your lats, with several secondary muscles, but I don't think they belong with a chest or bicep day. I would focus more on isolating each body part. Though I do use several machines, I prefer free-weights and feel like they do more for me. Are you getting sore/exhausted after each day? If not, rework your lifts.

Most importantly for bulking is diet. Carbs, calories and protein. Look up a bulking diet online. You will be amazed at what a well-overhauled diet can do. You can't bulk without a good diet. Period. Go to a body-building/workout website and just start reading. Tons of great info out there, and it's better than asking a rugby forum. As for supplements, I don't really believe in most of it. I take creatine (it's cheap, so what the hell?), glucosamine for my joints, a multi-vitamin, and a quality weight-gainer.

Oh, and make sure your shoulder's in good shape. See what a doctor says... Good luck.

Stick to days where for eg - monday - chest, tuesday - shoulders and arms - wednesday - back and legs thursday - day off, friday - everything and cardio

thanks for the posts guys will start trying some of it out as for hurting afterwards before i did my shoulder in when I could do more yeah it did alot, now it does but my sholder for a new reason :p I'm heading to the doctor hopefully next wednesday to have a chat to him about it and possibly a sports injury guy at the gym on sunday so hopefully it ain't anything too bad

Best work out is doing manual labor, works every muscle :p

Currently its mainly as stated with

Wednesday - 20 mins cardio to start on treadmill or bike, then 3 sets of 10 reps on pec deck weight 30/35kg's, 3 sets of 10 reps bicep curls 30-35kg's, 3 sets of 10 reps on another chest machine (cant remember name), 21's with dumbells, bicep curls on dumbells then repeat. sometimes adding in pull ups or dips into it.

Friday - 20 min cardio again treadmill or bike, 3 sets of 10 reps on tricep machine, 3 sets of 10 reps on one of their sholder machines, 3 sets of 10 reps on the other sholder machine, 3 sets of 10 reps for both sholders on3 sets of 10 reps on both pull ups and dips then repeat.

Sunday - 20 min cardio again, 3 sets of 10 reps on quad machine (upper quad), 3 sets of 10 reps on lower quad machine, 3 sets of 10 reps on seated rowing machine (for back), 3 sets of 10 reps on the other various leg based machines (cant remember names) then sit ups and 3 sets of 10 reps on ab's machine and finally then back onto the treadmill for 30-40 mins.

and thanks for the answer with the jack 3D stuff might see if I can have a small bit of the guy inthe team's to give it a shot..

Don't even bother with any of the the machines. They only put them in gyms so the guys who know what they are doing can spot the posers..

The suggestion in this thread about the workout tips are good that work for the
fitness and help you in your sports.

Just to update this a bit I have a newish issue, well due to my shoulder I had a few weeks out of lifting and off training etc. So now when I goto lift in the lineouts I can lift to about half of what I could before then I just seem to loose all strength in my shoulder where it was injured before despite when around 2 weeks after it happened I could lift fine etc. So really is there anything I can do to improve on this fast? Ive started at the gym lifting a bar like I do when lifting inthe lineout but it hasnt seemed to have much of an effect so far :/

Latest posts