• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

World Club Challenge

Looking forward to it but to be honest it's losing it's shine somewhat.
Really needs to be played at the end of the season after both Grand Finals but thats never going to happen.... still, it's always nice to beat the Auusies :bana:

who one in the super league last year?

where is it being played?

i have no information at all lol :)

who one in the super league last year?

where is it being played?

i have no information at all lol :)
[/b]

Leeds HAMMERED Stains in the Grand Final :bravo: :cheers: :bana:

The game is being played at Elland Road in Leeds.

And unfortunately Saints will have to hand their ***le to Leeds. As the Aussies will lose and they will blame it on the weather, jetlag, fitness etc etc, anything but admit the best team on the day won.

all i can say is...

GO LEEDS lol, they are my fav super league club.

why do they always play it over there? i thoguht they were goign to rotate it between northern/souther hemmisphere.

obviosuly not :(

The disappointing thing is that Melbourne will be fielding a fairly understrength team. No excuse for their performance to be though I suppose.

My tip is for the ESL's team to be crowned the best once again.

(not all Aussies have the same attitude Dan, but I dare say, Melbourne will be very jetlagged :p...and the weather will be bovine scat.)

What I don't find amusing is people crying foul about the location of the WCC, when it can't be changed until the current sponsorship contract is up.

Hopefully when the current major sponsorship with Carnegie does expire, whether it be Carneige or a new company that signs for the next contract, there'll be a requirement to have games that alternate between Australia and England. However, it would be good to see it in Australia every year for a decade or so before the alternating patern begins.

Oh how I do love the issues that arise every WCC.

What I don't find amusing is people crying foul about the location of the WCC, when it can't be changed until the current sponsorship contract is up.

Hopefully when the current major sponsorship with Carnegie does expire, whether it be Carneige or a new company that signs for the next contract, there'll be a requirement to have games that alternate between Australia and England. However, it would be good to see it in Australia every year for a decade or so before the alternating patern begins.

[/b]

Thing is though... Would the NRL be prepared to do what SL has just done and bring a game forward to accomodate the WCC?

Would an English team these days actually draw the punters into an Aussie ground?

The impression we get over here is that the SOO is the be all and end all of Aussie Rugby League and nothing else actually matters? Not even Internationals.

For what it's worth I think the winner of the WCC should decide which hemisphere the next one should be held in... If you lads really want it... then take it seriously ;)

Thing is though... Would the NRL be prepared to do what SL has just done and bring a game forward to accomodate the WCC?

Would an English team these days actually draw the punters into an Aussie ground?

The impression we get over here is that the SOO is the be all and end all of Aussie Rugby League and nothing else actually matters? Not even Internationals.

For what it's worth I think the winner of the WCC should decide which hemisphere the next one should be held in... If you lads really want it... then take it seriously ;)

[/b]

I think you make very valid points, particularly about the NRL changing their season about to accomodate. Of course, they wouldn't. You can tell when a team is going to take it seriously though, the Aussies demand on an Aussie ref or they take their ball home and refuse to play.

Personally I would love to see the WCC in Australia. And I would love it even more to see an English team win. A new set of excuses would be rolled out (they were when GB won in Sydney in 2006) but that's part and parcel of playing the Aussies sadly.

Leeds sem to have hit the ground running this season... can't see Melbourne having much joy in the WCC if I'm honest.

It's an unenviable task I must say. Leeds have so much pace, especially around the ruck and that will be a nightmare to deal with if your season is only just about to start.

Hmmm....Melbourne win 26-10.

I seriously thought they'd lose considering the under strength team, but they must have played pretty bloody well! Congrats to them.

Unfortunately, I missed the game. Can someone shed some light on the game? Controversy? Moments of brilliance?

Hmmm....Melbourne win 26-10.

I seriously thought they'd lose considering the under strength team, but they must have played pretty bloody well! Congrats to them.

Unfortunately, I missed the game. Can someone shed some light on the game? Controversy? Moments of brilliance?
[/b]

It was only a warm up against Halifax. Not very convincing really but a useful run out I guess.

Oh thats right! My bad!

Hopefully Melbourne wins in the actual thing.

My tip is they lose though.

I don't care what anyone says it is simply the wrong end of the season for nrl teams to play it. melbourne are still basically in pre-season traning and have had maybe 1 or 2 hit outs compared to leeds who are battle hardened from about 4 or so game in the esl. if melbourne win it would be a huge upset.

<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

[/b][/quote]

The only team to really take it seriously in the lasy decade has been my beloved Roosters in 2003... and if you all recall it was played in England and we pummelled the Saints by 30+ points (I know you're tired of me bringing this up Dan, but I am actually rather proud - if you hadn't guessed it :p - that it was my team that was responsible ;) ). I still remember Ricky Stuart making a huge deal about it at the time and it was even built up in the papers (which almost never happens for the WCC) - but after the thumping we gave Saints I think the Aussie media and NRL considered it "case closed" and went back to treating it like another trial match.

When is the match by the way?

Apparently Crocker and Inglis aren't playing, which is a fair loss... not that Melbourne don't have a lot of good players, but Inglis is just absolute dynamite and he will be missed.

I don't think inglis is back in training till next week. melbourne from what I have heard will be fielding a largely undestrength team.

It's Friday night at 8pm English time. I estimate that to be Saturday morning in Aus?

And yes SANZAR I remember 2003. When we approached the game all cock eyed - we played one game, a cross code challenge against Sale before that match. Ian Millward got little wrong in his time at Saints, he messed up with that one.

Latest posts