• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

World Club Championships

higgik

First XV
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Saracens
Bernard Laporte has suggested he wants an annual World Club Championships instead of the Champions Cup in Europe.
Think this is an olive branch to the SH to vote him in to WR executive.

Do like the idea though, 20 teams playing in single country like world cup. Less matches overall and better quality.

Plan is OK but don't like the proposed mix.

If there are 4 English and 4 French Clubs there should be 4 South African and 4 New Zealand clubs.

Think a 12 8 NH SH split would work.
So, if we assume MLR champions are NH then that leaves 11 from Pro14, Premiership and Top14.
So how about top 3 plus winners of play off
SH Top League winners plus top 2 from NZ, SA and Aus, with play off for final spot between Jaguares and next best team.

What about an 8 team tournament? Winner of HC and SR get a bye to the Semi, the winners of Prem, Top 14 and Pro 14 and the remaining semi finalists from SR in the QF's. Knock-out rugby, it's a short-ish format. Not sure when in the year it would fit in but it's an idea

*If the Winner of one of the NH leagues is also the Euro winner then that spot goes to respective 2nd place

Imagine how badly an MLR side would get slaughtered in this, Jesus. Wouldn't be ethical to include them tbh.

Put the whole idea in the bin though. Bin the Champions Cup off? Get to ****
Yes but USA and Japan have the money

I mean.....in theory.
But in reality is there any money in rugby in America?
Rugby America just went bankrupt, MLR crowds are terrible, whenever other sides take games there they're commercial failures (bar Ireland vs All Blacks, I believe).

Sounds like it would kill about 2/3rds of Pro14 teams immediately and the league in the medium to long run. Leinster would be fine because they'd always qualify and then you'd have Glasgow, Ulster, Munster and the Welsh flavour of the month fighting it out for two spaces.

The rest are ded without the draw of 3+ European games and lack of prize money. Meanwhile the Top14 and Premiership become even more important and prosperous (maybe only include the Top14 in the prosperous column)

If it happened you'd probably see the IRFU and SRU changing their tune regarding a British and Irish league fairly quickly for self preservation.

The top 14 barely cares about European competition as is. I don't see french crowds getting up for Toulouse v Crusaders. I'm pretty certain is looking at r/rugbyunion and getting his ideas from there cause this makes no sense to me.

Like can't they just look at soccer and realize no one gives a flying **** about the club world cup. European Championships are where it's at.

Latest posts