• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

World Cup card reviews- subject to trials

Is it an actual orange card or the ref gives a yellow and instructs the TMO to take a more detailed look.

Not sure how the game can continue though with the TMO taking a more detailed look as then surely he's not watching the game live and other incidents can be missed. Two TMOs?

A prolonged TMO check whilst not interfering with the game, can't see a downside provided the ultimate decision is communicated to both teams ASAP.

Will need an extra TMO though.

Yeh not strictly an orange card but equivalent. Don't they have like several in the Video booth anyway? So, just need a second pair of eyes to bring any other incidents to TMO's attention after reviewing the footage in that 10 min window.

I think they are saying a separate independent 2nd tmo will have access to all the angles to review over the 10 min sin bin. Couple of issues 1) Good luck trying to get all the angles from a french broadcaster in a French match. 2) i can see the default for refs being yellow/orange let the TMO decide

I think they are saying a separate independent 2nd tmo will have access to all the angles to review over the 10 min sin bin. Couple of issues 1) Good luck trying to get all the angles from a french broadcaster in a French match. 2) i can see the default for refs being yellow/orange let the TMO decide
1) be interesting to know what powers rugby has to enforce getting all the angles. I'd say limited at best.
2) Yeah, what happens if you get two incidents 5 minutes apart. Does the second TMO finish the first, then start the second? I know it's unlikely, but there already feels like holes in this idea. Orange card is better as then the incident can be dealt with properly afterwards and teams don't lose a player permanently. Issue with orange cards is it will lead to more arguments and be confusing for casual viewers.

i dont think we should shoot down ideas just because theyre not perfect....lots of stuff in rugby isn't perfect. Its working, IMO, in super rugby, as soon as the ref sees something thats a yellow, off they go, carry on with the game, no on field debating between 4 refs about whats they see, no captains chipping in delaying things, no miscommunication between the field and TMO, ive found the couple of times ive seen it in action thats its much better than before

Yep, definitely this has been a winner in super rugby this year. Not only to keep the game flowing but it also prevents the endless debate after the matches because it gets less airtime with the fans not seeing every angle in slow mo and hearing the refs, players, commentators, and journalists opinions

Yep, definitely this has been a winner in super rugby this year. Not only to keep the game flowing but it also prevents the endless debate after the matches because it gets less airtime with the fans not seeing every angle in slow mo and hearing the refs, players, commentators, and journalists opinions
yeah, a comment a couple of minutes later just saying something like "the yellow has been upgraded to a red and so they wont be returning to the field" is it, lots of people have already forgotten what the incident was

Fair enough. Any examples of incidents being missed during this period? That would be my main concern that there is less focus on the 10 minute period after.

Fair enough. Any examples of incidents being missed during this period? That would be my main concern that there is less focus on the 10 minute period after.
not that i can remember, which might mean people are just moving on and not fascinating on super slow motion replays which i think is a good thing, put the emphasis on a citing commissioner to pick things up that are missed on the very rare occurance they are

I think this could be good just in that it'll take pressure off of refs to "not ruin the game" or whatever. Give the card and then a man in a box can make it a red. Don't know how many times I've seen Pearce and Barnes downgrade obvious reds on TMO review.

yeah, a comment a couple of minutes later just saying something like "the yellow has been upgraded to a red and so they wont be returning to the field" is it, lots of people have already forgotten what the incident was
If it's decided it isn't even a yellow, do they come straight back on?

The fact we are in a position where there are consistently different interpretations of the laws being applied should be addressed rather than this. I think it's a good idea (in the short term), but it's a plaster over the real issue of the of the laws being applied differently in every game I watch these days.

Refs pick and choose what they apply and it's just ruining the game.

The fact we are in a position where there are consistently different interpretations of the laws being applied should be addressed rather than this. I think it's a good idea (in the short term), but it's a plaster over the real issue of the of the laws being applied differently in every game I watch these days.

Refs pick and choose what they apply and it's just ruining the game.
Dunno, I think this will help when refs aren't sure. They can give a yellow and then it will be upgraded after being looked at closer, so less players wrongfully sent off.

Dunno, I think this will help when refs aren't sure. They can give a yellow and then it will be upgraded after being looked at closer, so less players wrongfully sent off.
Yes I think it will help in the short term but at the same time refs shouldn't be in a situation where there is so much grey.

Latest posts