• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

World Cup ticket prices

andyuk100

Academy Player
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
England
The most successful World Cup maybe. But the ticket prices were obscene. How is the average rugby fan supposed to be able to afford £715 for a ticket just to watch a game of rugby?

I agree and would love to know who had ticket distribution rights, insurance rights, hotel booking rights etc a la FIFA!!!

France is expensive but England is beyond expensive. Even going to the movies in London coasts u an arm. England is maybe with sweden, japan or norway one the most expensive country on earth to live in or visit. No surprise RWC stayed on those standards.

So forthose who complained about the price in England, just keep cool and think about prices in Japan. For hotels, food, plane tickets, and stadium tickets. This will be a world record in how to milk fans.

Last edited:
The most successful World Cup maybe. But the ticket prices were obscene. How is the average rugby fan supposed to be able to afford £715 for a ticket just to watch a game of rugby?
You are cherry picking a bit. I got offered tickets for the semi final (at Twickenham) for 150 quid. Pretty sure i could have gotten them cheaper if i looked a bit.
Finals are a separate animal altogether.

I had access to tickets for any game bar the final for 100-200 quid. Compared to football that is actually cheap.

Having said that, the fact that England and Ireland got eliminated early lowered the prices a LOT.

You are cherry picking a bit. I got offered tickets for the semi final (at Twickenham) for 150 quid. Pretty sure i could have gotten them cheaper if i looked a bit.
Finals are a separate animal altogether.

I had access to tickets for any game bar the final for 100-200 quid. Compared to football that is actually cheap.

Having said that, the fact that England and Ireland got eliminated early lowered the prices a LOT.

I was referring to the face value of the tickets, not the 'I got them cheaper from my mate in my local pub' price.
I have certainly never paid more than £100 to attend a football match, so I'm not sure where you are watching your games.

Apologies for my tone. Just telling you my experience.
You could get tickets for the semifinals, 4 days before the game, at 150 quid, face value.
The thing is face value became meaningless after England and Ireland were out of the competition, so it became a very poor indicator of how much you had to pay for the tickets. That's why I brought up the secondary market.

Regarding football, if you've never paid more than 100 quid for a football game i take it you've never attended a game at a world cup.

In some ways the ticket prices were a good thing as it meant there were less people at the games just for a **** up. For example I went to the second semi and the thrid place playoff same categories seats but the semi final tickets were £125 and the third place game £50, the semi was one of my best experiences at Twickenham I've had no one wanted to get up every 5 mins for toilet and beer runs and everyone was watching the game and not focusing on making a Mexican wave or chatting about anything. The third place playoff was the complete opposite and was the worst experiences at the RWC (went to four games in total) everyone there seemed only to care about how much beer they could drink, chat loudly about anything but rugby and try to start Mexican waves.

I'm all for the free market, but the prices were pure profiteering. And that's before the rip off program, food and booze...

One of the few aspects that left a sour taste.

Seemed the class system is alive and well in Old Blighty. The Knobs had no trouble procuring front row seats and then they have the cheek to send their odd looking son onto the field to score a Cup winners medal from SBW.

Seemed the class system is alive and well in Old Blighty. The Knobs had no trouble procuring front row seats and then they have the cheek to send their odd looking son onto the field to score a Cup winners medal from SBW.

Money does not meaneth class!

Seems you are confused between those who have money and those who have class!

Many have both but more have one or the other - or indeed neither!!

Well here's my take on it.

Any World Cup is something of a spectacle that doesn't come around every day. Some have the money, some don't. But that isn't something that the ticketing office cares about. Usually the tickets are priced to compensate for the expenses that was made to have this event.

For example, the 2010 FIFA World Cup was the only Soccer World Cup to have ever been hosted on the African Continent, I was fortunate to get tickets and watch a match in my hometown (France vs. Mexico). The tickets was very expensive, but I made the decision that I will at least once in my lifetime attend a Soccer World Cup match. And I am glad I did. I might not have another opportunity ever again to watch a game in a World Cup event live.

The same can be said about the Olympics, Rugby and Cricket World Cups. Some people have it on their bucket lists, and if they really want to, then the price isn't going to be the end factor of whether they are going to watch or not.

over 1000 GBP for a seat at the final. Crazy stuff!

- - - Updated - - -

Well here's my take on it.

Any World Cup is something of a spectacle that doesn't come around every day. Some have the money, some don't. But that isn't something that the ticketing office cares about. Usually the tickets are priced to compensate for the expenses that was made to have this event.

For example, the 2010 FIFA World Cup was the only Soccer World Cup to have ever been hosted on the African Continent, I was fortunate to get tickets and watch a match in my hometown (France vs. Mexico). The tickets was very expensive, but I made the decision that I will at least once in my lifetime attend a Soccer World Cup match. And I am glad I did. I might not have another opportunity ever again to watch a game in a World Cup event live.

The same can be said about the Olympics, Rugby and Cricket World Cups. Some people have it on their bucket lists, and if they really want to, then the price isn't going to be the end factor of whether they are going to watch or not.

There is something to be said for saving up for such a big event.

Latest posts