• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

World Cup to Remain at 20 Teams for 2011

G

getofmeland

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/7120975.stm

Well the IRB have Confirmed that there will be 20 teams competing at the World Cup in 2011. The IRB have realised on public demand that the smaller nations were able to compete at the top level of international rugby.

They have also announced a further change means there will be 12 automatic qualifiers for 2011, rather than eight as has previously been the case.

That means both Wales and Ireland are guaranteed their places in New Zealand despite finishing third in their pools in France. Tonga and Italy also join the automatic qualifiers, who include both England and Scotland

This is great news for Rugby...

Thank goodness, world cup 2007 has thrown up so many close games showing that the gap between the big teams and the minnows has shrunk since 2003. Teams like Georgia and Romania will hopefully play a few more test matches and get more players playing in France and England, so by the time of the 2011 wc the tournament will be even stronger and more competitive. If we had went back to 16 teams it would have been a major step backwards, great news :cheers:

I hope the New Zealanders will support the minnows like the French neutral fans did this year. That was very nice to see.

The developing nations at Rugby World Cup 2007 have produced significantly enhanced performances since RWC 2003...[/b]
Sounds like Dr. Millar's been browsing TRF.

The developing nations at Rugby World Cup 2007 have produced significantly enhanced performances since RWC 2003...[/b]
Sounds like Dr. Millar's been browsing TRF.
[/b]

Undoubtedly!

We rock...hi-fives and gangsta style touched fists all round I'd say.

That's great news. Hopefully the minnows will get more game time against bigger nations in the 4 years running up to the next World Cup to further speed up their progress.

Well the IRB have Confirmed that there will be 20 teams competing at the World Cup in 2011. The IRB have realised on public demand that the smaller nations were able to compete at the top level of international rugby.

They have also announced a further change means there will be 12 automatic qualifiers for 2011, rather than eight as has previously been the case.
[/b]

Great news indeed!

I'm waiting to hear more about the qualification scheme for the remaining 8 - rumor has it, a "Rugby World Trophy" in 2010.

In the words of Flava Flav, yeeeeeeeeah boi! I only hope now that our fellow Kiwi's can see it within themselves to support these minnows, and not just the All Blacks. After France this year, anything less in 2011 will be a failure.

That's great news. Hopefully the minnows will get more game time against bigger nations in the 4 years running up to the next World Cup to further speed up their progress. [/b]

Yes, great news indeed, but Snoopy raises a very valid point indeed. Well done to the IRB for caving in to TRF pressure :D , but the "minnows" now needs that extra support of more test matches against top-level opposition in the buildup to RWC 2011.

that's a good news for the rugby and the little country [/b]

I agree that's very important to strengthen Rugby development in countries such as Georgia or Portugal not to mention old Rugby nation that need to get back such as Romania.

In the words of Flava Flav, yeeeeeeeeah boi! I only hope now that our fellow Kiwi's can see it within themselves to support these minnows, and not just the All Blacks. After France this year, anything less in 2011 will be a failure. [/b]

You lads need brass bands at every venue man. Come on, even the Welsh are doing it!

The iRB need to continue with their targeted funding. Paying for Namimimimimimimibia to hire a dedicated professional coach for a period (18 months was it?) was a godsend for them and did more than actual cash ever could.

Throwing money at the problem doesn't solve it, its how you spend it that counts. Teams like Georgia and Romania already have superbly fit and drilled players from one of the finest finishing schools of World Rugby (the Top 14 in France), they desperately need a professional structure to put the skills that these chaps have learnt in the French & English clubs to good use and for that, the iRB need to put their hands in their pockets and fund professional coaches, physios and other staff for longer periods, not just in the run up to the Rugby World Cup.

Latest posts