• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

World Player of the Year Nominees 2018

Mad subjective stuff innit.
Best player: BB
Most important player: Sexalicious
Most impactful player: Reiko or Furlong
Best player taking the position they play into consideration: Sexathon
Best player (as in pick up artist): Probably Teddy Thomas, he has that Zebo confidence but is actually suave and likeable.
Best Hybrid of man, monkey and Lion: Faf
Best ugly baby lookalike guy: Dan Cole

I could go on.

Best GOAT: Noel Reid

Just checking I've interpreted this right, you are saying the football internationals are no barometer, right?

Sorry, I'm saying that's international friendlies in rugby (and by extension football) are no barometer. Football has world players of the year awards in years when there are no competitive internationals, so the award must be granted on playing for clubs in those years.

For me it can only be between Rieko and Sexton. I'm thrilled Marx and Faf got the nomination and I'm a fan of both players, but they both have large asterisk's next to their names (as does BB) in Marx's case his throwing has been poor at times, and in Faf's case his consistency of performance has been all over the place. Beuden outside of the tests agaisnt Australia had some issues with poles kicking and game management.

Rieko in his position is a nigh unstoppable force.
Sexton is near flawless in the execution of his duties.

If at any point throught the year in question i was asked to make a team on who's result my life depended on, my first pick would be a close call between BB and Sexton. That's the definition of "best" in my book. And yes i know BB didn't have his best year.

Sorry, I'm saying that's international friendlies in rugby (and by extension football) are no barometer. Football has world players of the year awards in years when there are no competitive internationals, so the award must be granted on playing for clubs in those years.

That's probably how it read, I probably just didn't want to believe it. :( I don't think of any test match as a friendly. I'm guessing you are just referriing to what the norther hemisphere call the autumn internationals? Or do you also mean June test series? Or any test match that isn't in the world cup?

That's probably how it read, I probably just didn't want to believe it. :( I don't think of any test match as a friendly. I'm guessing you are just referriing to what the norther hemisphere call the autumn internationals? Or do you also mean June test series? Or any test match that isn't in the world cup?

Pretty much any one that isn't RWC, RC or 6N - although 3 match series still seem to be pretty competitive. I'll grant you that friendlies in rugby are usually a lot more competitive than football ones.

But June ones are often the worse. Argentina, Scotland and Italy for example rarely seem to try hard or field a full strength side. Yesterday's 'out of test window' matches are another example of a devalued international missing swathes of starting players so i wouldn't want to judge player performance off these sort of fixtures. The only November test I expect to be absolutely life or death is Italy vs Georgia next weekend. Everything else will be "planning for the RWC".

Anyway, it's a moot point. The award criteria is what it is and that's why I'm struggling so much to think!

Thanks for the correction though. 'Internationals only' definitely takes out the Boks in my book.

Why? Because the team performed poorly or that we lost some matches? I think both our candidates have put in some brilliant showings even when we were losing or performing poorly. Perhaps that makes it even more of an accomplishment?

Why? Because the team performed poorly or that we lost some matches? I think both our candidates have put in some brilliant showings even when we were losing or performing poorly. Perhaps that makes it even more of an accomplishment?

I just don't think either man was that outstanding last November and if you exclude their excellent club form, then last November becomes a large proportion of their play time that is assessed for the award. I don't think Faf was even playing last November. Not his fault given selection rules in 2017, but it doesn't help his case.

I do agree that great performances on poor sides can be an even stronger indicator of performance. Hence me throwing in Teddy Thomas & Minozzi.

I just don't think either man was that outstanding last November and if you exclude their excellent club form, then last November becomes a large proportion of their play time that is assessed for the award. I don't think Faf was even playing last November. Not his fault given selection rules in 2017, but it doesn't help his case.

I do agree that great performances on poor sides can be an even stronger indicator of performance. Hence me throwing in Teddy Thomas & Minozzi.
Absolutely, I do find their have been winners and nominees in the past who have performed well only because of the team they were in. But that's a hard thing too, because you can't really discount a player based on an assumption without proof that they wouldn't do well in a poorer team.

It would be interesting to see sexton behind a pack that was going backwards and with a halfback that couldn't pass nor provide a good kicking alternative. I'm definitely not saying he wouldn't be great but I am saying it's pretty hard to tell.

One way to get some perspective, but doesn't get over the hurdles above, is to see how the team performs with and without a certain player. Faf has certainly made noticeable differences to the Boks for example, and so has sexton for ireland. Of course that also depends on how good the back up is. The all blacks don't really miss any single player. Brodie would be the biggest loss, but his back up is really good these days so that's not even such a loss. Franks is probably next, but only because the backups are a bit behind (though that could change soon when Laulala gets some fitness back and some experience.

The fact that Sexton has won trophies at club and international level as well as an away series victory this calendar year should seal the deal. Faf has been great but won nothing with club or country, Beau has obvs won the Rugby Championship but was totally overshadowed by the Crusaders at club level.

Why is Andy Goode not listed?

On a serious note I really rate Marx. His name on the sheet would worry me more than the others as he is so impactful.

Sexton is a proper general and is so good its almost that he is too good and too important to pick up the award. He plays at such a high level it is almost expected of him.

Don't think the Breakthrough Player award has been mentioned anywhere, Larmour, Tu'inukuafe, and Dyantyi got nominated. Criteria are that you had to have made your debut this season, James Ryan would have ran away with it otherwise (and Stockdale as well). Ryan will have the main one won in a few years anyway so it doesn't matter anyway.

Dyantyi for me out of those three anyway.

Sexton surely has to win but then again with Ritchie McCaw in the form that he's in I can see it going to him. :D:D

Tonight is the night. It should absolutely be Sexton but I have very little faith it will be. Schmidt is a shoo in for coach, team of the year could be Ireland, Fiji or the US.

Latest posts