• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

World Player of the Year Nominees 2018

I remember when Sexton started to replace ROG and came under a lot of criticism in his first year or so as he used to make silly mistakes. Matured well though and I think the whole cop out of being in a good team is hardly fair as the same could be said of pretty much everyone who has won the award.

He was put under a ridiculous amount of pressure by what was at the time a strongly pro-Munster media and tended to try too hard in green as a result. Dropping him for O'Gara in the 2011 World Cup was easily the most brainless of Declan Kidney's many mistakes. It was only after O'Gara fell away and he didn't have to justify his selection to a massively partisan fanbase every week that he settled down and started to boss games in the way he'd been doing for Leinster for years.

There's still a Facebook account called 'Johnny Sexton will never be as good as Ronan O'Gara' that was active the last time I saw it, the highlight was it slagging him off about 20 minutes before he kicked the winning drop goal in Paris.

I remember when Sexton started to replace ROG and came under a lot of criticism in his first year or so as he used to make silly mistakes. Matured well though and I think the whole cop out of being in a good team is hardly fair as the same could be said of pretty much everyone who has won the award.

He was put under a ridiculous amount of pressure by what was at the time a strongly pro-Munster media and tended to try too hard in green as a result. Dropping him for O'Gara in the 2011 World Cup was easily the most brainless of Declan Kidney's many mistakes. It was only after O'Gara fell away and he didn't have to justify his selection to a massively partisan fanbase every week that he settled down and started to boss games in the way he'd been doing for Leinster for years.

There's still a Facebook account called 'Johnny Sexton will never be as good as Ronan O'Gara' that was active the last time I saw it, the highlight was it slagging him off about 20 minutes before he kicked the winning drop goal in Paris.

Just deserts for Sexton. His kick against France was great and all but his touches in the 41 phases prior to that showcased his real talent.

So Schmidt reportedly going to confirm he will leave after next year's RWC to return to NZ.

I think it was more Sextons attitude in early years that was his issue. But once the penny dropped he really changed

Sexton's auctioned off the boots he kicked the Grand Slam drop goal in for €25,000 to raise money for a schoolgirl's illness treatment.

Truly a class act.

Sexton's auctioned off the boots he kicked the Grand Slam drop goal in for €25,000 to raise money for a schoolgirl's illness treatment.

Truly a class act.

He sent the shirt from that game to Anthony Foley's son as well for his birthday. His onfield persona can be a bit grumpy in fairness but he's a class act off it.

Latest posts