• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

World Political Debate Team

Palestine was a League of Nations mandate given to the UK who were to administrate and act as peace keepers until a more permanent solution could be found.

Eventually, illegal immigration from various parts of Europe from Jewish communities started to cause serious tensions between them and the native Arabs there (who had been promised a state).

British troops at this time acted as riot police and separation roles to keep the two peoples apart in potential flash points such as Jerusalem. The end of World War Two however changed the game forever as you saw the emergence of the infamous Jewish terrorist groups such as the Stern Gang (whose favorite activity on a Friday night was abducting British squaddies and putting a bullet in the back of their head before dumping them by the roadside.)

These gangs were responsible for allot of the terror attacks on the Arab population and the British administration including multiple murders of British troops off duty in Tel Aviv and in other towns.

At the time in the newly formed UN, the British were pressing for a solution to the problem but negotiations were deliberately being slowed down by the United States and it wasn't until late 1947 on which something was agreed upon by which time it was becoming increasingly difficult to control the Jewish (and now Arab) terror groups.

In the end a deal was struck and the Americans tried to persuade the British government at the time to stay in Palestine as part of a new UN peacekeeping force! This was flatly rejected and we withdrew as we usually do, by marching out of our barracks and gradually withdrawing.

Now one of the things that my Grandad never talked about was his time in Palestine after the war. He was in 6th Airborne Brigade and was proud of his roles in the various airborne antics at North Africa, Sicily Arnhem and Greece and he was always very complementary and boisterous about the opposition..but he never, ever spoke about Palestine. It transpired later that apparently some of his friends had been shot by people they had liberated from the death camps in Germany and that he and the rest of the British there had been on the receiving end on foul accusations of Nazism and anti-semitism just for upholding the law and keeping the peace.

To this day, I have nothing but contempt for radical Zionism and that one should use brutal force to take something which they feel is theirs by godly religious birthright. It was that and American interference which prolonged, not ended the suffering there.

Palestine was a League of Nations mandate given to the UK who were to administrate and act as peace keepers until a more permanent solution could be found.

Eventually, illegal immigration from various parts of Europe from Jewish communities started to cause serious tensions between them and the native Arabs there (who had been promised a state).

British troops at this time acted as riot police and separation roles to keep the two peoples apart in potential flash points such as Jerusalem. The end of World War Two however changed the game forever as you saw the emergence of the infamous Jewish terrorist groups such as the Stern Gang (whose favorite activity on a Friday night was abducting British squaddies and putting a bullet in the back of their head before dumping them by the roadside.)

These gangs were responsible for allot of the terror attacks on the Arab population and the British administration including multiple murders of British troops off duty in Tel Aviv and in other towns.

At the time in the newly formed UN, the British were pressing for a solution to the problem but negotiations were deliberately being slowed down by the United States and it wasn't until late 1947 on which something was agreed upon by which time it was becoming increasingly difficult to control the Jewish (and now Arab) terror groups.

In the end a deal was struck and the Americans tried to persuade the British government at the time to stay in Palestine as part of a new UN peacekeeping force! This was flatly rejected and we withdrew as we usually do, by marching out of our barracks and gradually withdrawing.

Now one of the things that my Grandad never talked about was his time in Palestine after the war. He was in 6th Airborne Brigade and was proud of his roles in the various airborne antics at North Africa, Sicily Arnhem and Greece and he was always very complementary and boisterous about the opposition..but he never, ever spoke about Palestine. It transpired later that apparently some of his friends had been shot by people they had liberated from the death camps in Germany and that he and the rest of the British there had been on the receiving end on foul accusations of Nazism and anti-semitism just for upholding the law and keeping the peace.

To this day, I have nothing but contempt for radical Zionism and that one should use brutal force to take something which they feel is theirs by godly religious birthright. It was that and American interference which prolonged, not ended the suffering there.
[/b]
no bias here, is there?

Well yes there is because in my opinion we shouldn't have been there in the first place, also I have immense respect for Israeli statesmen like Yitzhak Rabin and Ehud Barak as well as their immensely professional and clinical special forces which have pulled off some of the most insane military operations in the history of modern warfare with minimal loss of life and destruction.

Irgun - led by Menachem Begin, I think - modelled its tactics against the British in 1947 on those of Michael Collins during the IRA's campaign against the British in the Irish War of Independence in 1920. Did yiz know dat?

Actually, the Israeli gangs who lauched random and unprovoked attacks on the British mostly viewed the IRA (very unfairly in my book) as amateurs and went on to invent the modern carbomb.

And how it has come to bite them back on the arse.

Irgun weren't the problem though, it was scum like the Stern Gang who were doing some of the worst stuff.

The bombing of the king David hotel was a major event in Palestine. One of the main events in the formation of Isreal.

Latest posts